Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic CD in SMS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic CD in SMS What Sonic CD could have looked like in 8 bit.

#16 User is offline DerZocker 

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

• Project:Spriting and hardly getting shit done
Love those mockups. I just hope this project makes it further than Sonic2 LD. Good look with it! :)

View PostMaster Emerald, on 07 May 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Is there any reason for the mostly blank BGs in the Sonic 8 bit games? Sonic 2's Underground zone has a nice mountain line, though.

Also have a look at Triple Trouble's backdrops
http://info.sonicret...TT_gtz2_map.png

See how they cheated with the horizon being on various different heights? Neccessary due to the single tile plane, but it works because those areas are so far apart, you don't notice it.

#17 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Great work, would love to see these screenshots "come to life" - also gives me more appreciation for the Master System's graphical style.

#18 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
This certainly would be a great addition to this year's Sonic Hacking Contest if you manage to get something playable this year.

#19 User is offline Jassbec 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

• Lost Prototype
  • Project:Sonic Overture, Zeondrive
So I got intrigued by this and made practically a music mockup for Palmtree Panic just for the hell of it. (I'd suggest lowering the volume a bit, render error)
https://app.box.com/...8i6pqk6n941noz8

It's all SN76489 emulation so it's not running on the actual system, but I tried to stick to every limitation as closely as I could.
I did not account for the channels needed for the sound effects though :v:
This post has been edited by Jassbec: 13 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

#20 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

This is fucking amazing, excellent work!

However long this takes, I look forward to seeing what more you come up with.

#21 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback and sorry for the late reply, I must admit it won't be easy to do, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

View PostJassbec, on 13 May 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

So I got intrigued by this and made practically a music mockup for Palmtree Panic just for the hell of it. (I'd suggest lowering the volume a bit, render error)
https://app.box.com/...8i6pqk6n941noz8

It's all SN76489 emulation so it's not running on the actual system, but I tried to stick to every limitation as closely as I could.
I did not account for the channels needed for the sound effects though :v:/>/>/>/>

This 8 bit rendition of Palmtree Panic inspired me to create a tool that allows me to create tracks within the actual game, it built it in a rush so it's very crude and a tad buggy, but it does the trick.
Posted Image

I managed to make this rendition of Tidal Tempest (Past).

I've also created a version of Metallic Madness (Present) which is about 80% done.

#22 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

• Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Project:Too many of them
I want this, I really really want this, don't give up unless it's truly impossible, and if that's the case, you could always complete the mockup maps with items and all, they're as nice to see as promising is the project. :thumbsup:

#23 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

• Wiki edits:18
That Tidal Tempest Past music sounds really nice!

And wow, a tool for editing and composing music inside the ROM? That's great! Maybe it can be modified a little so that people can add config files for other games?

#24 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh wow, how'd I only just find out about this?

I wish you a massive amount of luck getting this to work. Fitting everything inside the VRAM is going to be a pain!

Even more crazy to see this's an outright ROM hack. I assumed it was going to be a homebrew project, with all the modifications that would need to be done.
This post has been edited by Flygon: 11 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

#25 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
Wonderful.. I would like to play with that music tool too. Specially if you can use S2 as a base too.

#26 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

• Wiki edits:44
I just wanted to add that I too am loving that Tidal Tempest Past track. It reminds me a little of Castle of Illusion for the Master System/Game Gear, but it's also rather accurate, in my opinion. If this is anything to go by, I look forward to future music on this project as this was a joy to listen to.

#27 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
I'm leally lovin this rendition of Tidal Tempest! Some Master System renditions of Spencer Nilsen's soundtrack would be great, but I wouldn't complain if it was only JP tracks.

A Master System demake of Sonic CD would convince me to buy a MS Everdrive, if it was completed.

#28 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Fourthing the praise for that Tidal Tempest rendition. It's my ringtone now, so thanks for that.

I think this is a cool project and you've done some excellent work on it, but I have to wonder if it might benefit from actually straying further from the original source material. At the end of the day, seeing CD rendered faithfully on SMS makes for a cool "what-if", but it's also just a "worse" version of something that's already out there. Now, that's not to knock on your work at all, but not many people would say that the SMS Sonic games are worth playing over the Genesis ones, you know? I really like the SMS games myself, but it's because they offer something different from the Genesis ones. I doubt I'd fire up SMS Sonic 2 ever if it was just a lesser specced copy of the Genesis version with the same levels. I guess what I'm saying is it'd be cool to see some original levels that keep the CD vibe but do their own thing on the SMS hardware, if that makes sense.

That's just one guy's opinion though. Looking forward to seeing how your project shapes up either way!

#29 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

• Sonic 3's sprites are way better than Mania's!
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I know your tools are in WIP stages, but I'd love to see them get released someday. Your project is getting better and better, keep up the awesome work!

#30 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

• Wiki edits:980
This looks incredible! But I'm surprised of the levels you cut, you cut out Stardust Speedway. That's easily one of the most memorable levels of the game and includes one of the most memorable (if irritating) bosses of the game.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users