Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Random Levels Project - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Random Levels Project v0.1.1

#16 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4058
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You could always do what I did for Knuckles' Emerald Hunt: throw in every possible song that fits the level's theme and allow the user to choose between them. You could even take the whole sound system from KEH if you want.

Besides that, I remember you talking about this back in 2010, and I'm glad to see it being released.

#17 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

  • Posts: 600
  • Joined: 29-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Washington University
So, how much code did it take to put this together? Would it require an entire ROM to itself, or could you potentially create an "Endless Mode" as bonus content in a hack?

You said that you plan on a later version being put together that does one Act for each Zone. Could you get it to where the player can choose an estimated length for the level? Something like "Normal - 3 min avg, Long - 5 min avg, Very Long - 8 min avg, Extreme - 15 min avg"?

This is more of a hacking-in-general question, but how many chunks can you have available for a single level to draw from? If creating more chunks would allow more variety in the level, is there any way to make it a group effort, where people can just piece together level chunks (or recreate level chunks from the other games in the correct tileset) and send them to you to insert them? You said that you added thirty new chunks to Green Hill Zone for variety's sake, but having something like fifteen people all compiling level chunks together for you seems like it would drastically speed things up.

Final question: You said you don't know how to insert music in a format that would let you switch songs mid-level. What about if each palette change warped the current music instead? Like how the speed-up item makes the music play faster, maybe one palette makes the music drop an octave, while another palette slows or speeds the tempo by a certain amount. If the player continuously switches palettes every chance they'd get, they'd eventually get some pretty trippy music.

#18 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

  • Regular garden-variety user
  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male
After 50 minutes, I did beat Act 1, if it means anything.

#19 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4621
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostMainMemory, on 25 April 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

You could always do what I did for Knuckles' Emerald Hunt: throw in every possible song that fits the level's theme and allow the user to choose between them. You could even take the whole sound system from KEH if you want.


I'd have to learn how to do that first, but it's an option. I'd prefer to have variations on a theme, but that works too.

View PostKharen, on 25 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

So, how much code did it take to put this together? Would it require an entire ROM to itself, or could you potentially create an "Endless Mode" as bonus content in a hack?


The code for generation itself is fairly short (about 2KB); the data is 24KB for Green Hill Zone alone. So it'll fit comfortably inside a lot of Sonic 1/2 hacks, but you'd struggle to fit it in something like S3K. The other problem is that of RAM. It requires the level and object layout in memory, and some hacks use RAM for other things.

View PostKharen, on 25 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

You said that you plan on a later version being put together that does one Act for each Zone. Could you get it to where the player can choose an estimated length for the level? Something like "Normal - 3 min avg, Long - 5 min avg, Very Long - 8 min avg, Extreme - 15 min avg"?


Already planned. At the moment the three acts are ~30 minutes, 1 hour, and 2 hours (although the endings aren't really the point); I'm keeping these as the upper end and adding options for ~2, 4, 8, and 15 minutes.

View PostKharen, on 25 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

This is more of a hacking-in-general question, but how many chunks can you have available for a single level to draw from? If creating more chunks would allow more variety in the level, is there any way to make it a group effort, where people can just piece together level chunks (or recreate level chunks from the other games in the correct tileset) and send them to you to insert them? You said that you added thirty new chunks to Green Hill Zone for variety's sake, but having something like fifteen people all compiling level chunks together for you seems like it would drastically speed things up.


Vanilla Sonic 1 supports 82 chunks; leaving them uncompressed in the ROM frees a lot of RAM and gives you up to 128 chunks. It can probably be easily tweaked to get to 256 chunks but I haven't done that as I haven't needed it. More than 256 chunks would require a pretty significant rewrite.

Adding new chunks is fairly quick, and making the levels isn't that slow either. The slowest part is piecing the various strips together, which can only be automated so far and then has to be manually checked and fixed.

View PostKharen, on 25 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

Final question: You said you don't know how to insert music in a format that would let you switch songs mid-level. What about if each palette change warped the current music instead? Like how the speed-up item makes the music play faster, maybe one palette makes the music drop an octave, while another palette slows or speeds the tempo by a certain amount. If the player continuously switches palettes every chance they'd get, they'd eventually get some pretty trippy music.


I don't know how to do that either. :v:

I should probably learn the music side of things at some point.

#20 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4058
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
To be honest, I barely understand how music works either, which is why I had people handle the driver modifications and music making for me.

#21 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 16699
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Speaking of music, I found a bug where I died with speed shoes on, but the music kept going at the high speed pace once I came back at normal speed =P

#22 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4058
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I've been informed that some people in the larger hacking community may not read this particular forum, perhaps you should post this on SSRG as well.

Also, if you ever want to try doing this with Sonic & Knuckles Collection, you'd have a lot more memory and processing power to work with. :v:

#23 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

  • Regular garden-variety user
  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male

View PostOverlord, on 25 April 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Speaking of music, I found a bug where I died with speed shoes on, but the music kept going at the high speed pace once I came back at normal speed =P
It seems that when this happens, the music does not slow down until you get another set of speed shoes or S monitor and then let the effect end. It's likely due to the music continuing instead of restarting upon death.

#24 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4621
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostOverlord, on 25 April 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Speaking of music, I found a bug where I died with speed shoes on, but the music kept going at the high speed pace once I came back at normal speed =P


Noted, will fix.

View PostMainMemory, on 25 April 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

I've been informed that some people in the larger hacking community may not read this particular forum, perhaps you should post this on SSRG as well.


But that requires me making an account on SSRG, and I'm too lazy. Someone can post it there on my behalf if they want (just copy the first post).

View PostMainMemory, on 25 April 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Also, if you ever want to try doing this with Sonic & Knuckles Collection, you'd have a lot more memory and processing power to work with. :v:/>


Wouldn't even know where to begin.

#25 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

  • Also known as RHS
  • Posts: 1568
  • Joined: 31-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Made a video which will be out tomorrow. As for today, I'm debugging KEGA's FPS issue... then this happened:

Posted Image

I'll give that object placement a 2 out of 10 =P

#26 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

  • Regular garden-variety user
  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male
Fun fact: the push-walk bug still exists.

#27 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4058
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View Postredhotsonic, on 27 April 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Made a video which will be out tomorrow. As for today, I'm debugging KEGA's FPS issue... then this happened:

[img]

I'll give that object placement a 2 out of 10 =P

I've had that happen a few times, but you can spin dash back up the tube, and do a spin dash jump off a slope over the tube and continue on. Really weird that it's so common though.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 27 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

#28 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4621
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Tried to fix that, but apparently didn't catch every instance of it.

#29 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

  • Regular garden-variety user
  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male

View PostMainMemory, on 27 April 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 27 April 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Made a video which will be out tomorrow. As for today, I'm debugging KEGA's FPS issue... then this happened:

[img]

I'll give that object placement a 2 out of 10 =P

I've had that happen a few times, but you can spin dash back up the tube, and do a spin dash jump off a slope over the tube and continue on. Really weird that it's so common though.
That sort of collision seems to happen a lot. Plus, Start+A exists.

#30 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

  • Regular garden-variety user
  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male
Also, may I ask what palette variants exist for Green Hill Zone? I want to have documentation of them. :-P

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users