Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 Bugfix Disasm - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 Bugfix Disasm

#16 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

I suppose so.

#17 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

• Do you have a sister?
  • Wiki edits:16
I've only brushed through a few of the posts, so forgive me if I bring up what's already brought up. I just like expressing my opinion on these things, it makes me feel clever :}D

I have gone to start projects before, to then realised I have to do things before I can actually "begin", for example, Sonic 1 and the lack of Spindash, for a serious project I can't "not" have it in, it's one of those necessities that people complain about. In the end, I got fedup, and made a disassembly with the move already built in for next time. I don't need to prove to any of you bastards that I know how to put a spindash in, or fix a few bugs, that's not the main demonstration here. And so, it's my opinion that a prebuild source would benefit us (I know we're talking bug fixes rather than move additions, but it's related... HEAR ME OUT DAMN IT).

Of course, I wouldn't want to disrupt anyone's learning experience, that Spindash guide is more value-able than many may think, it teaches you a brief bit about objects, the mappings format, the PLC format, the animation format, various parts of the source code for exploration and exposure that really digs you deep into the engine to understand the endless posibilities, and yes!!! EVEN SOUND EDITING!!! My god, do you realise how brilliant that tutorial is? It is a gem, a pure shining gem. Having a prebuilt source would likely eradicate this wonderful guide leaving many clueless (or likely, too scared or nervous to edit anything incase they break it), this applies to the many bug-fixing guides out there, they don't just help you fix something, they invite you into the source, hang your coat up, plop a log onto the fire, and get you comfortable so you feel as if you can do it.

So, this leads us to private builds only held by a handful who have proven that they don't really "need" it to show off or anything, they simply and honestly require it to save time. Here's where it gets tricky, for one, deciding who should and should not be entitled to it becomes a huge dispute, many would argue that maybe you shouldn't have to be a "code guy" to access it (if you just wanna edit level art or whatever, for example). In addition to this, we cannot agree on a disassembly structure, so a prebuilt source to help one person may become a headache for another. I for one, have a few prebuilt sources prevately for me only (because I know how I want it).

On the other hand of it all, we already have prebuilt sources released, and interestingly, they rarely get much attention at all, even with that, the quality of products around haven't changed much (negatively nor positively), so I guess you could argue "what's the problem then?".

My verdict on this though; just don't bother. Leave everything as it is for now, last years hacking contest is evidence enough that people are both trying, and that hacking the old games is still a hip thing these days. Yeah sure, we have a few crummy ones to fish through, but what lies under is definately worth it for...

#18 User is offline redquebec 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostMarkeyJester, on 21 July 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

My verdict on this though; just don't bother. Leave everything as it is for now, last years hacking contest is evidence enough that people are both trying, and that hacking the old games is still a hip thing these days. Yeah sure, we have a few crummy ones to fish through, but what lies under is definately worth it for...

I see. It will be private only for source control convenience for my own use then. Never public, and I wont touch at all to anything already present.

#19 User is offline MrMaestro 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

• Not your average member of a forum
  • Project:Solving a Rubik's cube

View PostMarkeyJester, on 21 July 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

Of course, I wouldn't want to disrupt anyone's learning experience, that Spindash guide is more value-able than many may think, it teaches you a brief bit about objects, the mappings format, the PLC format, the animation format, various parts of the source code for exploration and exposure that really digs you deep into the engine to understand the endless posibilities, and yes!!! EVEN SOUND EDITING!!! My god, do you realise how brilliant that tutorial is? It is a gem, a pure shining gem. Having a prebuilt source would likely eradicate this wonderful guide leaving many clueless (or likely, too scared or nervous to edit anything incase they break it), this applies to the many bug-fixing guides out there, they don't just help you fix something, they invite you into the source, hang your coat up, plop a log onto the fire, and get you comfortable so you feel as if you can do it.

I agree, another Psuedo-ReadySonic would ruin the fun of exploring ASM for the newcomers and even though ReadySonic was prime around it's release, it became outdated pretty quickly so if this becomes a thing it will experience the same as ReadySonic did.

#20 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1

View Postredquebec, on 21 July 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

What about a private GitHub repo where I could work on it, and let some key user check out if I do it right? It would not be available to the generla public, just for documentation and have some source tracking in the cloud. Would that be a viable solution to your concerns?

I would certainly be more than happy to contribute from time to time if you wanna exchange Skype sn's over PM.

#21 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I think it's a waste of money to pay for a private GitHub repo just for this. There are other services where you can have private Git repos for free.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users