Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Knuckles Chaotix Level Maps? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Knuckles Chaotix Level Maps?

#16 User is offline Mikronaut 

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 14 May 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Or, I guess if they're stored at half size or something.

This. The level maps at least for Sonic 3 (and possibly others) are about half-size, and don't include any objects. (Although, luckily, the Sonic CD ones are perfect. I'd hate to have to rip all 70 of those.) And I do plan on redoing the maps for Chaotix once the object definitions are finished. Actually, does anyone know how to edit the definitions in SonED2, or if this is something that can be done only by the developer?

And @ICEknight, that's interesting. Thanks for pointing that out! It would make sense, since Chaotix is supposed to be a theme park in the process of construction. And that might explain one of the potential level design flaws as well, namely, that many of the levels feel very similar.

#17 User is offline nineko 

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
I remember that some maps were resized because the wiki software had a problem with the thumbnails or something if a picture was bigger than a certain number of pixels. Not sure if that has been fixed in the mean time.

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:23 AM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View Postnineko, on 14 May 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

I remember that some maps were resized because the wiki software had a problem with the thumbnails or something if a picture was bigger than a certain number of pixels. Not sure if that has been fixed in the mean time.

This was a problem, and may still be a problem, but full size versions should be uploaded to the wiki anyway. Once we've had this server upgrade I'm sure we can start fixing little bugs.

I would like to see maps of all the prototypes, even if the levels are identical - at least then we can be certain they are identical. Empty rooms too - I want a map of Genocide City so we can easily see how empty it is.

#19 User is offline nineko 

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
FWIW, I agree with you. I've never been a fan of the resized maps.

#20 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
It'd be nice to have these with their respective time of day palettes too.

View PostICEknight, on 14 May 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Seeing them side to side, except for a few exceptions, it kind of feels like the different level acts were intended to show the progress of the levels' in-universe construction.

Botanic Base also seems to progress with new sections and foliage growing over the scenery. These all show that things move fast in Sonic's world. In just a day, plants can grow a lot and Eggman can construct whole facilities. Eggman's ability to rapidly build machines and complexes is hinted at throughout the series.

#21 User is offline Neo 

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostMr Lange, on 15 May 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

There are no "respective" palettes, though, the game cycles between day > afternoon > night > morning but you can play the stages in just about any order.

#22 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostNeo, on 16 May 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostMr Lange, on 15 May 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

There are no "respective" palettes, though, the game cycles between day > afternoon > night > morning but you can play the stages in just about any order.

I believe he meant "respective" in regards to "each level using it's own set of time-of-day-palettes", unless I missed something and say, Marina Madness Midday uses the same palette as Techno Tower Midday?

#23 User is offline Mikronaut 

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

Sure, I could have exported all four variations of every level, but I chose to export only the daytime ones, since the layouts don't change, and it would be a bit of a hassle to do all of them. Maybe I'll export them all when the object definitions are finished.

#24 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
Hey, I just noticed that Botonic Base Zone acts 3-5 have the same area pasted at the bottom of each map. These areas aren't accessible in-game IIRC, right? They also appear to be using art that isn't used elsewhere that is also displaying with the wrong palette.

Am I mistaken?

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 10 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

#25 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
IIRC those areas can be entered through a doorway, and are basically bonus areas to get more rings.

edit: You can see one at 1:20

This post has been edited by Sparks: 10 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users