Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: How to change sprites?? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

How to change sprites??

#1 User is offline Gametoons 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hello, sonicretro community, I am not sure, if this is the right topic for this so if it isn't the right one, feel free to move it. Apparently, I am still a sonic hacker beginner and I want to know how to change the sprites of the enemys, rings, sonic etc.

Thanks for reading.

#2 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

This guide covers using SonMapEd, which can edit sprites, sprite maps, and even palettes. The tool itself is a little outdated - the likes of Flex are probably better alternatives - but it shouldn't be a bad starting point.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 03 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

#3 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
And if you're wanting to hack the 8-bit Aspect Sonic games, you'll need to grab a copy of Aspect Edit to edit sprites. (I know many people don't hack them, but hey if you ever wanted to that's the tool you'd need. :P )

#4 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

• Project:creating the biggest sonic collection
Also If you want to try a program that is not super powerful, but really easy to use. I'd recommend Sonik Sprite.

#5 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Sonik Sprite, for all its ease of use, is extremely limited in its ability. It doesn't work with disassemblies, it can't add or delete sprites, it can't change which tiles a sprite uses, and it can't edit compressed art. There's a reason that article lists the program as obsolete.

#6 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

• Project:creating the biggest sonic collection

View PostMainMemory, on 06 May 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

Sonik Sprite, for all its ease of use, is extremely limited in its ability. It doesn't work with disassemblies, it can't add or delete sprites, it can't change which tiles a sprite uses, and it can't edit compressed art. There's a reason that article lists the program as obsolete.

I agree, but if you are a beginner and all you want to do is change a few of Sonic's sprites, then it is a pretty simple place to start the hacking scene.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users