Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The top Mega Drive Sonic mods - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

The top Mega Drive Sonic mods For a feature in Retro Gamer

#31 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

• Eh.
This is turning into less of a Top Sonic Megadrive Mods thread and more of a general hack recommendation/nostalgia thread. Which I can't say I totally object to :V I forgot about stuff like The S Factor and Sonic 1 Extended. Now that I'm sick with an ear infection and Bronchitis, I think I'll just binge some mods now.

#32 User is offline Sith 

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

• The molotov bitch

View PostMarkeyJester, on 17 April 2016 - 03:04 AM, said:

I was going to suggest some others besides the ones mentioned before, but since the idea is to decide collectively which best five represents hacking, then I would suggest the following (whilst excluding any of my own solo work):

• The S Factor - Sonia & Silver.

I just tried this hack and it's no fun to play. The difficulty level is totally sadistic. It must be the hardest hack I ever tried...
That first boss part 2 is totally ridiculous. I lost count on how many times I lost my rings playing through the first 3 zones.
I don't see how you can get emeralds in this hack either as you need the skill of a robot.

Sure, it looks like a beautiful and polished hack, but when you make a hack so damn hard that all the fun gets dragged out of it, then I pass

View PostSamba-boy, on 17 April 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

Sonic 1 Extended Edition. It's the one hack that got me into the Sonic Retro-community and it completely took me by surprise with nice original innovations like the NegaRings, the day to night-transitions per act, the overworld and fuck it, even the giant crab from Cinossu's signature. =P

Yes, this is another awesome hack stuck in development hell. I hope Cinossu will change his mind one day though and finish it. :p
This post has been edited by Sith: 03 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

#33 User is offline NiktheGreek 

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

• Grumpy old bastard
  • Project:Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
  • Wiki edits:41
Hi everyone, cheers for all your help. I've made my decisions now - I'll chuck a quick scan in the thread when the issue's been printed.

#34 User is offline mdawgmike 

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

• Wiki edits:1
I know it means nothing now, but I just noticed this thread and will throw in my two cents as a non-modder/casual fan of Sonic hacks; my list is solely based off of enjoyable games my friends and I have played through repeatedly. I put a high weight on "works on hardware," for the whole cool factor. I still have my Sega Genesis and I still like to use it!

Sonic 3 Complete - Improves greatly upon the original
Sonic Boom - Awesome, quick, always challenging, standalone game
Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix - Very much feels like something Sega Could have released
The S Factor: Sonia and Silver - Ditto!
Sonic 2 XL - For the lulz :D

This is a great thread. I look forward to the article, as well as checking out some of the other hacks people mentioned.
This post has been edited by mdawgmike: 21 July 2016 - 08:40 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users