Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The top Mega Drive Sonic mods - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

The top Mega Drive Sonic mods For a feature in Retro Gamer

#16 User is online doc eggfan 

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
I would totally recommend Sonic 2 LD as a fine example of the burgeoning master system sonic hacking scene

<.< >.>

what?

#17 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112

View Postdoc eggfan, on 15 April 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

I would totally recommend Sonic 2 LD as a fine example of the burgeoning master system sonic hacking scene

<.< >.>

what?

If only he was looking for the top Master System Sonic hacks, but I guess there just wouldn't be too many since we're two of the few people who actually hacks them. :P As for the top MD Sonic hacks, Megamix is definitely the best and probably most well known. I think some other awesome hacks deserve more recognition such as Sonic 2 recreation, Metal Sonic Hyperdrive, Sonic Classic Heroes, and Sonic 2 Retro Remix. There are other great MD hacks but those ones I like the most. :)

#18 User is online doc eggfan 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostRavenfreak, on 16 April 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

If only he was looking for the top Master System Sonic hacks, but I guess there just wouldn't be too many since we're two of the few people who actually hacks them. :P

Well Megamix is technically Mega CD and Master System hacks can be played on Mega Drive...

#19 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:04 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
In fairness, they never specified which version of Megamix, the older versions were Mega Drive after all~ (I actually rather enjoy 3.0 myself)

I was going to suggest some others besides the ones mentioned before, but since the idea is to decide collectively which best five represents hacking, then I would suggest the following (whilst excluding any of my own solo work):

• The S Factor - Sonia & Silver.
  • Sonic Megamix.
  • Big's Fishing Derby.
  • Knuckles Emerald Hunt.
  • Sonic 2 Retro Remix.

The reason? Because they are the most polished, they feel like the kind of games that were in the process of being made by SEGA, but of course, never got released. And when you have a hack that looks as good and as professional as a true game, such that any average person could not tell it's a hack, then you've supplied a true art of hacking.

It shows how far we've come. Honestly, I don't think any other hacking scene is anywhere close to our achievements, we're technically no longer "hacking", and more to the point "remaking". The definition of hacking has turned completely upside down...

#20 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24

View PostLoneDevil, on 14 April 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Sad to see nobody mentioned Metal Sonic Hyperdrive...

This might cheer you up! :)

View PostMarkeyJester, on 17 April 2016 - 03:04 AM, said:

• The S Factor - Sonia & Silver.

Surprised no one else mentioned this. I give it a thumbs up.

I think some other awesome hacks deserve more recognition such as Sonic 2 recreation...

Aw, thank you ^_^

EDIT: Fixed quote tags
This post has been edited by redhotsonic: 17 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

#21 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Best always depends on a number of factors, but going by originality, I'd join the group saying Big's Fishing Adventure and Knuckles' Emerald Hunt, if only those not just stretch the boundaries of the engine but rather redefine them completely.

oh, and of course, OMG THE RED RINGS. Who could forget? 8D

#22 User is offline Samba-boy 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

Right before the Sonic Retro-server crashed yesterday, I wrote a piece on the one hack that I would love to see featured in this article, although there hasn't been any public update of it since 2007 if I'm correct... Sonic 1 Extended Edition. It's the one hack that got me into the Sonic Retro-community and it completely took me by surprise with nice original innovations like the NegaRings, the day to night-transitions per act, the overworld and fuck it, even the giant crab from Cinossu's signature. =P Unfortunately, most of the mysterious vibe surrounding this one has worn off pretty much by now as it took too long for a decent update or even the confirmation that the project was/is still alive... But really, completely with a spectacular intro and functional use of a PAST-sign in said intro, it makes up for a completely new way to play a new kind of Sonic 1.

...Yeah, the first version of this post was a lot better, fuck server-issues. ^^

#23 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112

View Postdoc eggfan, on 17 April 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

If only he was looking for the top Master System Sonic hacks, but I guess there just wouldn't be too many since we're two of the few people who actually hacks them. :P

Well Megamix is technically Mega CD and Master System hacks can be played on Mega Drive...

True but Megamix started on the Genesis. :P I know you could play Master System games on the MD, but I think he's specifically looking for MD hacks only. Still if he was looking for the "top classic Sonic mods", I'd definitely mention your hack Sonic 2 LD.

#24 User is offline Josh 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm appalled that no one has yet mentioned Atomic Sonic.

Posted Image

Megamix is garbaged compared to that masterpiece.

#25 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165
Still waiting for the sequel. Come back, Chimpo ;-;

#26 User is offline NeoFusionBox 

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

• Lost in the armageddon
  • Project:Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Pro Survivor and Sonic 1: Emerald Land
I'd go with Sonic 2: Advance Edit, Sonic: South Island Warped, Mobius Evotuion, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Pro Survivor Sonic 3: D.A Garden Edition.

#27 User is offline Sith 

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

• The molotov bitch
This topic is like a god-send for me, as I'm also totally out of the loop since years.
I recently started playing Sonic hacks again and these are the ones I remember fondly from back in the day:
-Knuckles in S1 (Stealth)
-Tails in S1 (Puto v2)
-S2 Long Version (Sonic Hachelle-Bee)

This week I've given Megamix 3.0 a spin and it's a jammin' good hack. (is it dead since 4b?)

Today I tried Hyperdrive and wow just wow; best hack I've played in years. Didn't reach the end on first try though as it is challenging.
This hack is a complete overhaul. I don't feel like I'm playing S1 but some sequel to S1. Kudos to all involved.

I'll try some recommendations from this thread next.

Edit:

I just tried S2 Advanced edit. I see it's quite old now ('08) but this hack is legend and full of win.
The art, level design and music all are commercial standard.
I read that old topic of your hack. Seriously, how can you think "it sux" and "I'm not satisfied with my hack" when it has genius written all over it? What's wrong with you?
This post has been edited by Sith: 18 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

#28 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10
Didn't see Sonic 2 XL mentioned. Funnily enough, it seems to be the ROM hack that comes up the most frequently when random YT celebs are naming Sonic ROM hacks off the top of their head (or at least, it feels like that's the case to me). People really seem to take to seeing Sonic get super fat, or something.

Might be good to mention for a laugh, anyway.

#29 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostSith, on 18 April 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

This topic is like a god-send for me, as I'm also totally out of the loop since years.
I recently started playing Sonic hacks again and these are the ones I remember fondly from back in the day:
-Knuckles in S1 (Stealth)
-Tails in S1 (Puto v2)
-S2 Long Version (Sonic Hachelle-Bee)

This week I've given Megamix 3.0 a spin and it's a jammin' good hack. (is it dead since 4b?)

Today I tried Hyperdrive and wow just wow; best hack I've played in years. Didn't reach the end on first try though as it is challenging.
This hack is a complete overhaul. I don't feel like I'm playing S1 but some sequel to S1. Kudos to all involved.

I'll try some recommendations from this thread next.

Edit:

I just tried S2 Advanced edit. I see it's quite old now ('08) but this hack is legend and full of win.
The art, level design and music all are commercial standard.
I read that old topic of your hack. Seriously, how can you think "it sux" and "I'm not satisfied with my hack" when it has genius written all over it? What's wrong with you?

Megamix is still in the works, last we heard.

And yeah, Advanced Edit (or what was finished of it) is tops. Shame Rika got burned out on it, but hacking is demanding stuff, it's understandable.

#30 User is offline Glitch 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 LD
  • Wiki edits:22

View Postdoc eggfan, on 15 April 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

<.< >.>

what?

Wait... people are hacking master system games now? Who are these geniuses? I must buy them a beer!

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to plug Valleybell's excellent Sonic 1 SMS FM music hack. Incidentally this was also featured in the most recent Game Sack episode, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users