Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog - Object Position Fixing - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog - Object Position Fixing Why is there a rock down here?

#1 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

• Wiki edits:44
I've been going through the level layouts of the original Sonic the Hedgehog and found a large number of inconsistent, and incorrectly placed objects. These issues range from minor issues such as monitors floating in the air by 1 pixel (due to the way monitors work in Sonic 1), to objects placed in unknown locations (A stray rock in Green Hill Zone Act 3 says Hi), and even the wrong ID and subtype used on specific objects (Scrap Brain Zone Act 2, why do you use monitors instead of Invisible Solid Objects in places?).

As a result, I have gone through the entire game and noted as many of these inconsistencies as I can make sense of. Please find this list hidden in the spoiler, below:

Spoiler

The object coordinates are on the left, followed by the object affected and how it's placed incorrectly. Please note that this entire list is subjective, based on my own opinions and thoughts, but many of the object position issues listed have been compared to other, correctly placed objects for comparison. I have also tested these changes in-game to verify that they are indeed an issue.

I was also considering placing this list on the wiki, but I couldn't find a place to put it. If anyone has any ideas as to where, then please let me know.

Also, if anyone has any questions about this list, please feel free to ask.
This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 19 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

#2 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
You have too much time on your hands =P

#3 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
Now release a rom with this issues fixed :p

#4 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
Hooooly canoli.
Well, props for your dedication.

#5 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
This is fantastic! It is nice to see some misplacements that were unnoticeable.

I think it also opens up ideas to the game's past beta, and some of the techniques used during production to serve or solve a problem.

Do you plan to do the same with any other aspects of the game? (Such as art, music, SFX, etc, since we have a thread for code based fixes and such). Also, have you considered any other Sonic games?

(In honesty, I was quite surprised at how fast you managed to generate your list, it seems like it was only a week).

#6 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostJcFerggy, on 18 February 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

Now release a rom with this issues fixed :p

I did make one, although it's not complete. I felt against releasing it, though, as it's too similar to the original ROM and I know the rules regarding posting ROMs. However, making these changes to the object positions in a normal ROM doesn't take too long if you're interested.

Also, Mr Lange, thanks. I had a bit of time on my hands and wanted to contribute something to the scene after my active hacking decreased over the last 6 months or so.
This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 18 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

#7 User is offline nineko 

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Well, you can make an IPS ;)

By the way, two things:
  • you used broken (because of the code block) bold tags instead of asterisks for GHZ2's heading;
  • if I'm not mistaken (I can't check right now but I think I remember it right), one of the last monitors in MZ3 (the one right after the shortcut) uses a wrong flag, I'd like to be more precise but I really can't right now

#8 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

The heading for Green Hill Zone Act 2 is fixed. Must have been as a result of my original copy/paste.

nineko, you are correct about Marble Zone Act 3. The Super Ring Monitor at 0E30 0431 has no 'Remember Sprite State' flag set. I'll update the list with this one. Thanks.

MarkeyJester, I have considered doing some other things, but that's based entirely on how much time I have. I should be working on my assignments really. I'll consider doing the same to Sonic 2 in the future, although I'm not promising anything.
This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 19 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

#9 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

Nice work, D.A. Garden! Pretty interesting to see all these object errors found in Sonic 1.

It makes me wonder if the code used to automatically move some badniks to the ground was made because Sonic Team didn't want to properly fix the object placements. =P

#10 User is offline Espyo 

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

• Project:A Pikmin fan engine - Pikifen (http://pikminfanon.com/Pikifen)
  • Wiki edits:22
I'd like to see images of the more "out there" ones. Like the Crabmeat under the ground on the section right after the 1-up in GHZ2. (Reference map)

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users