Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Problem with SonLVL (Sonic 2 GitHub disassembly) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Problem with SonLVL (Sonic 2 GitHub disassembly) readme.txt doesn't help

#16 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

• Project:College

View PostTrinitronity, on 27 January 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but it's the first time I'm doing fullblown ASM, and it really takes me a while to understand certain things, so sorry.

Then instead of going stairght into low language code start with the basics of learning programming and work with a higher level language first (C/C++, C#)

#17 User is offline Trinitronity 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Well, what I'm trying to do right now is actually basic as well, from what I have heard, yet I still get problems.
Doesn't really make me look good right now, methinks...

#18 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostTrinitronity, on 27 January 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

Well, what I'm trying to do right now is actually basic as well, from what I have heard, yet I still get problems.
Doesn't really make me look good right now, methinks...

It's only basic if you have an understanding of it, which you have clearly established to being the contrary.
As I said before, start learning the basics of programming and with a higher level language before nose-diving into an assembly language.

#19 User is offline Trinitronity 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

But the thing is: I am already capable of programming basics.
But how high should the level of the programming level be? I really don't want to wait until I can finally hack Sonic games.

#20 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

I listed C/C++ and C# as examples of higher level languages (and for the fact that you stated that you know the basics of programming yet didn't know what I meant by "higher level language" isn't helping you in that regard).
This isn't something that you can just rush into. You have to take the time and effort in order to understand how this all works before going into it. If you're not willing to do that then stop bothering yourself. You need to practice and learn first.
EDIT - typing on a touchscreen sucks at times :v:
This post has been edited by Xeal: 27 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

#21 User is offline Trinitronity 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Well, I'm willing to learn ASM languages.
Especially because this is the first time I see ASM language having commentaries, so I'm at least not completely left in the dark.
What's weird about me is the following: If I want to learn a language, I always need to learn its basic ABC first, and then most of my problems vanish in a heartbeat.
Is that kind of learning behaviour that I have even normal?

#22 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

Trinitronity,
Get comfortable with functions, pointers, structures like linked lists, trees and graphs and algorithms for their traversal and sorting.
Program Pong and other 'trivial' games. Yes. Just do it.
Those would certainly help you get you better at any kind of programming.

#23 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds

View PostTrinitronity, on 27 January 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hmm, so I have to implement jumps by replacing the offending bsr with a jsr.
Sadly, this gives me this message now:
> > >s2.asm(20964): error: invalid operand size
> > > 	jsr.w	SingleObjLoad2

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but it's the first time I'm doing fullblown ASM, and it really takes me a while to understand certain things, so sorry.

Read more... it's literally in the same post...

Anyway, my 2 cents: 68k ASM was actually the first programming language I got serious with. Previously, it was trying and failing to use Game Maker's script language, and trying and failing at Java for some Minecraft modding. I wouldn't say 68k ASM is a bad starting point. If anything, its fundamentals are simpler to grasp because all you need to know are the handful of instructions available, not return types and parameters and typesafe-ing and all that other crazy stuff higher level languages bring with them. The 68k's orthogonal instruction set makes it easier to use than other ASM langauges, like the Z80's, so it has that, too. Really, the hardest part of assembly is figuring out how to make things with it. You can't just say 'goto Obj01_Index[d0]', and be done with it. I've heard plenty of people say the hardest part of Sonic hacking isn't the language, it's the Sonic engine.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 27 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users