Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Problem with Bobesh8's Sonic 1 SegaCD remake - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Problem with Bobesh8's Sonic 1 SegaCD remake Reading the emulator's manual did not help

#16 User is offline Trinitronity 

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

Hmm...I guess you guys got a good points then.

One last question, though: Where could I possibly find a Sonic 1/2/3 editor that edits the ROM directly instead of editing disassemblies or individual files inside a ROM?
I mainly ask this because due to my MegaMan hacking, I'm pretty much used to editing the ROM directly.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm starting to figure out the whole disassemblies schtick.
This post has been edited by Trinitronity: 25 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

#17 User is offline Natsumi 

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

• Miss Fox
  • Project:Being with my boyfriend

View Postwinterhell, on 25 January 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

I promise you, if you were in the reverse situation you wouldn't like someone taking your code, level layouts, sprites and whatnot and plastering them in their product.
And if you say you would be ok with it, that's because you haven't done enough stuff.

Hold on there now. I personally have been on this scene for 4 years, done all kinds of stuff, even pretty complex ASM edits, and I done not really care if someone goes out to rip code or other assets from my hack. In fact, I would encourage anyone with the knowledge to disassemble my hack and rip all the code out. But "why???!!!", you ask. The simple answer is; if someone is capable of disassembling my hack in the first place, they may as well be skilled enough to make any code in there by their own. Or even if now, they have done something rather complex and deserve a little cherry on top.

Of course, when we talk about noobs going in to some random leaked disassembly to piss all over my work, then I wont be happy with it, because they don't need to put forth any effort to understand any of the code, they can just poke it with a stick and make it *kind of* work. But for someone who truly took it upon themselves to disassemble the ROM and understand the code, I have no problem with them 'stealing it'. So please do not assume everyone in this community act like the worst elitist scum we have been conditioned to accept.

#18 User is offline Zycor 

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

• This is the face of mercy
  • Project:Not failing my university courses.

View Postwinterhell, on 25 January 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

P.S. Modifying retail games is most of the times still considered illegal, and you can see it being enforced from time to time by banning players.Why don't you try to modify TF2, Dota 2 or CS:GO and watch what happens.

The usual issue in those games is people cheating in matches. I don't think that's even comparable to modding. I know some people like to go into multiplayer games and cheat and that's their way of having fun, but that's cheating and that's trying to give yourself a competitive edge over others. If I make a new level in Sonic the Hedgehog, that's not really me giving myself an advantage over others. If I make a new gun or hat for TF2 that goes over another existing thing, that's also not giving myself an advantage necessarily. I've been on servers in TF2 where Scout's model had Pedobear's head for example. I would consider that modding and not cheating. Several servers I've been on have Quake's announcer on them. There are also servers that give you random character layouts or restrict you to the default loadouts for the cast. None of that will get you a Valve Anti Cheat ban. Making it so your gun hits all the time and always gets headshots and gives you as many kills against every player that you can gain without the game breaking is cheating.

It's after midnight for me currently, so if that doesn't make sense, what I'm trying to say is you're trying to compare someone looking through someone else's code to cheating. There are a lot of places that offer code that is written for you to take advantage of and people get caught plagiarizing all the time. There's not really much you can do to stop people from stealing your code or trying to view it and tinker around with it. I've made some of the stupidest maps in DOOM with all sorts of textures from other games, and to be honest for a lot of modding scenes, that's what a lot of people do. That's how a lot of people get their start in game design.

#19 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

I agree with you both.

If someone made a derrivative of my work I'd like for them to at least try to contact me about it. As you say, if someone is willing to disassemble your stuff it means they are dedicated and it might be a form of flattery.

On the other end of the spectrum there was recently a person that claimed they drew their spritesheet and immediately someone called him out with the source sprites.

Maybe my example with Valve games were bad. I've seen people being banned for non-gameplay changes like reverting Battlefield 3's shaders to realistic and not washed-out-gray or for unlocking the framerate modifier on Dark Souls(both were not presented as giving the player an advantage, but just the companies being mad because bad).
And some models on Quake 2 can be considered cheating as well since they reduce the player hitbox size and you cant hit him? I might be remembering it wrong. Anyway my point was that many companies don't like modding.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 25 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

#20 User is offline Colton 

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:16 PM

Semi off-topic, but some companies ENCOURAGED modding their games. Hell, id Software did just that with Q3TA. And both games' source is officially out on the internet so you can mod to your heart's content. AND they made their way to GitHub.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users