Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Tales: Tails Adventures Level Editor Suite - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Tales: Tails Adventures Level Editor Suite Current release: r8

#31 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

View PostTechokami, on 21 January 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

That's why I suggested using native 4bpp formats for importing instead of just PNGs. That should, in theory, simplify things, since all you'd need to do is load it as uncompressed data over the desired graphical slot.

(Also can you please add exporting animations as PNGs too? Also, a counter stating how many objects are used would be helpful for keeping the 1645 limit in mind!)

Exporting the data and palettes as-is is an option, but editing a raw data format is pretty unintuitive if you're not technically inclined. Ideally, the program will be able to export palettized PNGs that can be edited in a normal image editor, then import them back. I'll have to do some testing to see whether that's workable or not.

As for not listing the object total, well, I got a bit lazy. I'll work that into the next release. The math comes out to something like an average of 40 objects per level, so you shouldn't hit the cap anytime soon, and if you do the program will yell at you when you try to export.

View PostShoemanbundy, on 21 January 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

So not all blank tiles can be drawn into? Was trying to replace Tails' sprite and his standing sprite for example has a blank square at the top left. Will we be only limited to tiles with graphics already in them?

Yeah, that's how the sprite mappings work -- only the parts that are needed are defined, and the program can't edit the actual mappings because they're a bit of a structural headache. I'll see about making the non-editable areas transparent in the next version so that's more clear.

#32 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)

View PostSupperTails66, on 21 January 2016 - 09:13 PM, said:

Exporting the data and palettes as-is is an option, but editing a raw data format is pretty unintuitive if you're not technically inclined. Ideally, the program will be able to export palettized PNGs that can be edited in a normal image editor, then import them back. I'll have to do some testing to see whether that's workable or not.

I'd imagine it'd be easier at first to create a paletted BMP (assuming using a PNG library isn't working out). Those are basically raw data dumps of the image/palette with a header.

That being said I'm liking this. I've always wanted a good Tails Adventure hack, and this is not a bad program to make one with. Also, if you could put the level mapping/etc. on the SCHG that would be awesome. That way anyone hoping to hack other bits of the game (that Seafox level table, for instance) would know where to look.

#33 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostInvisibleUp, on 21 January 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

I'd imagine it'd be easier at first to create a paletted BMP (assuming using a PNG library isn't working out). Those are basically raw data dumps of the image/palette with a header.

That being said I'm liking this. I've always wanted a good Tails Adventure hack, and this is not a bad program to make one with. Also, if you could put the level mapping/etc. on the SCHG that would be awesome. That way anyone hoping to hack other bits of the game (that Seafox level table, for instance) would know where to look.

It's less about the format than making sure external editors don't try to optimize away colors or the like. I'm hoping most programs have an option for it, but I've never actually had to do something like that before.

And thanks for the kind words. My notes on the game are a bit of a trainwreck (a 51.9 KB text file plus a ream of unsorted notebook paper plus random disassembly comments), but I will try to get them sorted and uploaded at some point.

Incidentally, it's not even a table; the game just does hardcoded "is this area 6? is this area 7?" checks every time it needs to know if you're on a Sea Fox level, so it's kind of a pain to try to change it.

#34 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Release 5 out: http://www.mediafire...in-r5-win32.zip

This adds quite a few new features and improvements, including most of the stuff people have requested so far:

* Added tilemap editor for modifying fixed tilemaps.
* Added resource export dialog for exporting maps, metatiles, tilemaps, and
graphics to PNGs.
* Added no game over hack.
* Fixed conversion of Game Gear colors (previously, brighter colors appeared too
dark).
* Changed display of mappings in the graphics editor so that non-mapped
(non-editable) areas appear transparent.
* Added to level editor a count of total objects in all levels and the maximum
total allowed.
* Many internal improvements made to the code courtesy of GerbilSoft.

#35 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Program is crashing suddenly, possibly due to me having the magnification up so high?

Anyway, I've been messing around and this thing can do so much. Just want to say thank you again. People can make whole new games with this. I just look forward to the import feature since I've spent hours drawing my art into the editor. Easy to get burned out. Too impatient to wait, though!

#36 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostShoemanbundy, on 26 January 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Program is crashing suddenly, possibly due to me having the magnification up so high?

Anyway, I've been messing around and this thing can do so much. Just want to say thank you again. People can make whole new games with this. I just look forward to the import feature since I've spent hours drawing my art into the editor. Easy to get burned out. Too impatient to wait, though!

Any particular situation (e.g. editing tool) where the program seems to crash? I hate to keep blaming Qt for everything, but it tends to mysteriously fail under seemingly arbitrary circumstances, like clicking an image embedded in a widget or changing between specific maps when the window size is too small. Trying to hunt down a specific issue can be tough going.

And don't hurt yourself trying to use my crappy homebrew graphics tools! Since there's more demand for it than I'd thought, I've bumped graphics to the top of the priorities list. No promises on when it'll be ready, but hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

#37 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

It only started crashing when I realized I should have the graphics editor expanded more than 800%. Switched it to the highest possible and continued my routine of clicking in and out if it to reference my image in GIMP that I'm trying to draw into the program. Sometimes when I switch back into Tales it will then just crash when I click to draw a pixel. That's about as specific as I can get.

Ain't gonna stop me from still painting pixels, but cool news about graphics getting a higher priority now!

BTW, what's the likelihood the editor could ever allow people to add in additional titlesets and levels?
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 27 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

#38 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

Release 6: http://www.mediafire...in-r6-win32.zip

Here's the graphics importer, in what is probably a personal record for turnaround time on a significant new feature. If I'd known it would be this simple, I'd have done it ages ago.

Important note: If you use GIMP to edit the graphics, make sure there are no transparent pixels when you export the edited file back to a PNG or GIMP will wreck the palette structure. Sorry, but it's GIMP's issue, not mine. The only real workaround would be to allow exporting to a format GIMP handles less stupidly, but I'm not quite up for it right now. Until/unless that happens, make sure transparency is disabled when exporting from Tales.

View PostShoemanbundy, on 27 January 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

It only started crashing when I realized I should have the graphics editor expanded more than 800%. Switched it to the highest possible and continued my routine of clicking in and out if it to reference my image in GIMP that I'm trying to draw into the program. Sometimes when I switch back into Tales it will then just crash when I click to draw a pixel. That's about as specific as I can get.

Ain't gonna stop me from still painting pixels, but cool news about graphics getting a higher priority now!

BTW, what's the likelihood the editor could ever allow people to add in additional titlesets and levels?

Hmm, I'll look into your problem. Sounds like another obscure Qt issue, so I don't know how much I'll turn up.

Extra tilesets are doable (I think, I'd have to check my notes), but more levels are pretty much out of the question. You'd have to regenerate virtually every address lookup table in the ROM and probably update a bunch of hardcoded stuff, and my dedication has its limits. Glad to hear you're enjoying things though -- let me know if you think anything else could use improving.

#39 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:31 AM

Amazing! Quicker than I expected. Will try it out and post results.

Extra tilesets would be neat. Just to be clear, extra levels aren't possible, but would extra maps for individual levels be doable? For the project I am sorta attempting (either just to see how it looks or to be a full-on project, I still haven't decided), it would work since then just warping to different maps would be fine. Extra palettes, too, btw? I almost feel like I ask too much but this is pretty fun.

On that note, anyone else already working on a project? Completely revamp the graphics and you've got yourself a neat adventure engine for the Game Gear. Nice change from just editing a Sonic engine all the time.
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 28 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

#40 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

It's the same thing, basically. Whenever the game needs to get some data associated with a level, it usually does a two-table lookup: first it uses the area number to get a base address into a second table, then it uses the map number to index into that address. Expanding either of the tables means rewriting both of them. Plus I wrote the program assuming the area-map values were constant, so I'd have to rework the code to deal with that, and probably a host of other issues I haven't thought of.

I'm working on my own little hack, though it'll probably a while before it's ready. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

#41 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

Release 7: http://www.mediafire...in-r7-win32.zip

Minor update that adds a couple of options to the Level Properties dialog: one to import the layout from another level, and another to delete all objects from the current level. I also fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when there were no objects in a level.

#42 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Release 8 out: Github Mediafire

New version which adds some features I used while slapping together an entry for SMS Power's hacking competition.

* Added option to the enhancements editor to make a new game start directly from
a level instead of the world map.
* Added option to the enhancements editor to change the starting inventory
items.
* Added option to manually set the map and spawn numbers in the Warp Edit dialog
instead of restricting it to nominally valid values.
* Added ability to make warps point to spawn 0 of the world map (Tails' House).
* Fixed bug that caused exported ROMs to fail/freeze when loading graphics from
bank 0x20 or higher.
* Fixed camera boundaries display -- previously, it was one tile too far to the
left.
* Sorted the object list in the Object Properties dialog alphabetically instead
of by internal ID number.
* Changed names of some objects and graphics for consistency and accuracy.

#43 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:43 PM

• Wiki edits:980
Any possibility of adding support for more game gear games in the future?

#44 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:01 AM

View PostTrue Dude, on 31 March 2016 - 11:43 PM, said:

Any possibility of adding support for more game gear games in the future?

The short answer: not anytime soon.

The long answer: As far as I've looked into it, all the Aspect-developed games run on basically the same engine, so the code I've written so far is probably a good starting point for a more comprehensive editor. That said, I didn't program this with multi-game support in mind (I'd never made a program on this scale before, so I was more concerned with keeping the project within a scope I could handle), and it would still take a lot of work to turn it into something more general. And the truth is I'm not as interested in the "real" SMS/GG Sonic games, so I'm not really in any rush to try it. If I do, I'll probably make a new utility starting from the same codebase, since there's a lot of sloppy stuff that needs rewriting (especially the GUI).

#45 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:29 PM

• Wiki edits:980
Ah, that's cool. Other things I want to ask for, would you by chance be able to put a paint bucket tool into the level editor? And some kind of undo function for graphic editing too. I'm just starting to mess around with it and for someone who's very stupid with editing this seems very easy to use yet powerful.

Oh, one thing, what's the best program to convert images to 4-bit or 8-bit PNG's?
This post has been edited by True Dude: 02 April 2016 - 01:23 AM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users