Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Tales: Tails Adventures Level Editor Suite - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Tales: Tails Adventures Level Editor Suite Current release: r8

#16 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:23 AM

r3 out: http://www.mediafire...in-r3-win32.zip

This fixes the bugs I mentioned previously, as well as the save file issue Bakayote reported. Thanks to everyone for your help working the kinks out of this.

#17 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostSupperTails66, on 17 January 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostShoemanbundy, on 17 January 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

Can't seem to open the program, no dialog window for initiation shows at all. Anyone else got this issue?

What OS are you running? I assume from your earlier post that the program was working before -- is the problem only with the latest binary or the earlier ones as well? You could also try deleting tales.cfg if it exists, although I doubt that's the issue.

Windows 7. It's my first time using the program. Never creates a .cfg file since it never even starts. Right now I've got 4 instances of the tales.exe open in my task manager that have remained there all day. Trying to force it to close does nothing. Very odd behavior. I've tried the most recent release btw.

#18 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30
Feature request: Undo button?

#19 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostShoemanbundy, on 18 January 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Windows 7. It's my first time using the program. Never creates a .cfg file since it never even starts. Right now I've got 4 instances of the tales.exe open in my task manager that have remained there all day. Trying to force it to close does nothing. Very odd behavior. I've tried the most recent release btw.

Since things seem to be working fine for other people, this sounds like it might be a Qt issue rather than a specific problem with my code. I've recompiled the program with the latest version of Qt -- give this version a try. Note that it's built in debug mode, so if it works it will be very slow. If it doesn't work, hopefully you'll at least get an error message; if you don't, send me the contents of "log.txt" in the root directory.

View PostTrunks, on 18 January 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Feature request: Undo button?

Man, I wish. Undo is kind of a trick to add if you didn't specifically plan for it, which I didn't. This was my first time coding a project of this scale, so I was mainly focused on getting the basic functionality in place.

Although now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't be too hard to add a minimal system for at least undoing level structure changes, which I'm guessing is what you want. I might look into that after I've added some of the more immediate stuff I have planned.

#20 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Unfortunately it seems to be the same result. No log file is even generated since nothing starts. More instances stuck in task manager that won't close.

I can't imagine what I have done to my PC that has caused a conflict, if there is one.

#21 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

View PostShoemanbundy, on 18 January 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Unfortunately it seems to be the same result. No log file is even generated since nothing starts. More instances stuck in task manager that won't close.

I can't imagine what I have done to my PC that has caused a conflict, if there is one.

Well, that's quite a problem. The program seems to be dying without running any code (that I control) at all, so without some kind of error or way to reproduce the behavior, there's only so much I can do about it. I'll look into compiling for Windows with Qt 4, but I don't know if that'll help.

Also, I fixed the bug that was sometimes causing exported ROMs to crash/reset while trying to load the intro. Will put up a new build later.

#22 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
I took a quick look at Tales and found some possible issues that could be causing problems. I'm currently doing a quick cleanup of compile warnings and cppcheck warnings/errors, and will submit a pull request once I'm done.

I also rewrote the GNU Makefile to use proper dependencies, which should make it less painful to rebuild the library.

#23 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Release 4: http://www.mediafire...in-r4-win32.zip

This is the first release to actually include new features instead of just bugfixes: you can now add metatile structure definitions to a metatile set and change the existing ones instead of being stuck with what the game gives you. I also fixed the crash in exported ROMs that I mentioned. Let me know about any problems that crop up.

View PostGerbilSoft, on 19 January 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

I took a quick look at Tales and found some possible issues that could be causing problems. I'm currently doing a quick cleanup of compile warnings and cppcheck warnings/errors, and will submit a pull request once I'm done.

I also rewrote the GNU Makefile to use proper dependencies, which should make it less painful to rebuild the library.

Whoa, great. Thanks for the help. I haven't done much cleanup w/r/t warnings, so there's definitely a lot of cruft to sort through there. And yeah, the makefile is pretty pitiful, I'd never actually done a project big enough to warrant a proper one before this.

#24 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
Here's a few things I committed to my branch:
  • Use -std=gnu++11 instead of -std=c++11 to enable gcc-specific extensions.
  • Added all generated files (on Linux at least) to .gitignore, so they don't get commited to the repository by accident..
  • Reordered constructor variable initialization to match the order of the variables as declared in the class declaration.
  • Don't use const when returning non-pointer types. The const doesn't do anything, and it causes MSVC to emit a different mangled symbol name, which can cause ABI problems later on.
  • For non-primitive types, such as iterators, prefer prefix increment (++iter) instead of postfix increment (iter++). The postfix version makes a copy of its previous value and returns it, which isn't needed most of the time.
  • Don't specify the existing exception when re-throwing it; that is, just use "throw;" instead of "throw e;". Specifying the exception again causes the compiler to make another copy.

The most notable fix:
  • Fixed mismatched new[]/delete. When deleting memory allocated using an array new[], you have to delete it using array delete[], e.g. "delete[] outputBuffer". This might not necessarily cause immediate problems with primitive types, but it *will* cause problems if you do a mismatched delete with an array of objects.

Some stuff you should look into doing:
  • Add const to accessor functions. There's *lots* of classes in this project, so doing it all at once is probably too much effort. You should probably mark member functions as const whenever you see a function that simply returns a value, e.g. nativeWidth() or nativeHeight().

EDIT: I recommend checking out cppcheck. It helps to find the most common errors that can affect runtime performance and stability, including mismatched new[]/delete.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 19 January 2016 - 11:53 PM
Reason for edit: +cppcheck

#25 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

Merged your branch. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm obviously not a coding whiz, so I really appreciate it.

#26 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Figured out my issue. It's Windows 7 being a dick, basically. Some bug where programs don't open and stay stuck as a process in Task Manager only taking up like 100kb of ram. Fixed it by doing a clean boot. Happened with SonLVL and Game Maker which made it obvious to me it was not only the Tales editor.

#27 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
I would love to see the ability to export metatiles and maps as PNG images, in addition to exporting tiles as uncompressed 4bpp graphics and importing them too.

#28 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

View PostShoemanbundy, on 20 January 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Figured out my issue. It's Windows 7 being a dick, basically. Some bug where programs don't open and stay stuck as a process in Task Manager only taking up like 100kb of ram. Fixed it by doing a clean boot. Happened with SonLVL and Game Maker which made it obvious to me it was not only the Tales editor.

Glad to hear you got that sorted, since I was pretty much out of things I could do to try to fix it.

View PostTechokami, on 20 January 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

I would love to see the ability to export metatiles and maps as PNG images, in addition to exporting tiles as uncompressed 4bpp graphics and importing them too.

Exporting stuff is simple enough, I'll see about throwing that in somewhere for the next release. Importing is obviously trickier, but I'll probably start working on it after I finish the static tilemap editor I'm working on now.

#29 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

View PostSupperTails66, on 21 January 2016 - 12:21 AM, said:

Exporting stuff is simple enough, I'll see about throwing that in somewhere for the next release. Importing is obviously trickier, but I'll probably start working on it after I finish the static tilemap editor I'm working on now.

That's why I suggested using native 4bpp formats for importing instead of just PNGs. That should, in theory, simplify things, since all you'd need to do is load it as uncompressed data over the desired graphical slot.

(Also can you please add exporting animations as PNGs too? Also, a counter stating how many objects are used would be helpful for keeping the 1645 limit in mind!)
This post has been edited by Techokami: 21 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

#30 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

So not all blank tiles can be drawn into? Was trying to replace Tails' sprite and his standing sprite for example has a blank square at the top left. Will we be only limited to tiles with graphics already in them?

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users