don't click here

Sonic 06 PC Remake

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by S0LV0, Dec 8, 2015.

1. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    If you can make it happen, then it'll be the first time I actually play "Sonic 06."

2. ELS

ELS

I'd rather use a "what if they had more than a month to make the engine" 06 than Lost World. Lost World is just... off.

Yeah, super old I know.

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I'd like it if I could jump into an enemy and damage them instead of them damaging me. It always struck me as backwards how basic attacks didn't work at all in sonic 06.

4. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    B-but... without the old engine, how will take a crate ride to space? :v:

In all seriousness, this is definitely one of those projects that slowly progressed from a "why would you ever bother with this?" to a "this is actually really cool.". I look forward to seeing what else you might come up with.

5. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    I'm not complaining if the sonic 06 PC remake at least fixes problems with the original, I'm honestly shocked at how much attention to detail is in this demo for the game it's based on, but as long as I can finally try and play some of the good levels from 06 for free, then I just see that as a plus.

6. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Redone gameplay is nice and all, but how about a rewritten story? :v:

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    The point of the remake is to get a verbatim port of the game on PC. After that, AFAIK, he plans to release the source, and other people can change things as they wish.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    This thing might open a new doorway for 3D fangames, if it's easy enough to edit. Assuming the Chao Gardens get brought back in, this could end up being a base for people to do their own remakes of the Adventure games or something. :specialed:

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    You know, It's well know that there were a bunch of canned upgrades to the PCs. Sonic's 8th gem that allows him to turn Super, Silver's speed upgrade, things like that. Might do a bit of good to have those in the base game if possible.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Would be cool to get an update on this. The project still holds merit even if the energy and ambition could be applied elsewhere. Will be keeping an eye on this.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah Gistix, I know you don't have much to share but you should give an update saying that the project is still alive.

Unless it isn't, it has been nearly 5 months since you made that post and 2 months since he last logged in.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It has gone suspiciously quiet. I hope that the project hasn't been abandoned and all we'e left with is Kingdom Valley. If you're reading this Gistix an update would be great.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I'm sure everything is fine. Gistix has (so far) only shown up once in a blue moon. While an update would be nice, I seriously doubt this silence means the project has been abandoned.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah okay cool - perhaps I'm worrying for nothing. You're right he does rarely show up here. Hopefully he checks in soon with an update.

15. Gistix

Gistix

Hello everyone! I'm still working on this game although not as much as I'd want to, come closer and I'll tell you everything:

What has been done:
    • Most of the gameplay related stuff have been rewriten on Unity 5, everything is working wonderfully.
    • Added all of Sonic's Kingdom Valley, and also the two Wave Ocean sections. (Although the only exclusive object added is the "Water Slide")
    • Created Mach Speed Sonic, also working perfectly. Due to his speed some tweaks in collision may be necessary.

What has not been done:
    • Menus and result screen. I don't really like working with UI, but thankfully I just found somebody that is gladly helping me. (Lucas Rodrigues)

I also need to fix some objects of which I don't fully understand their inner workings.

And as if being busy wasn't enough to keep me away from this project, my hard drive is about to give up. But if I realise that I won't have enough time for this project or if something else happens, I will most likely open-source it as it is.

16. winterhell

winterhell

Make sure to always have a backup from the past 10 or so work hours. a 5$ usb flash memory or a free google drive account is sure to be able to archive the essential data.

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Thanks for the update. Definitely keep backups!

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Oh wow an update - thanks for jumping in here and posting Gistix! Great to hear some news on the game. Keep going - your work is excellent!

19. Amnimator

Amnimator

Nice that you ported this to Unity 5. Unity 5.5 is also going to come with a new compiler and version of C#, so it should run even better there when it comes out.
    As for collision issues, I dealt with something similar with high speeds having an issue with Unity's PhysX. My solution was to rewrite the physics using raycasting and set it all to FixedUpdate with the raycast being longer than the collision needs to be. Then when a character is close to a collider, snap him to where it hits + or - whatever value. This will make it so that you can get reliable collision without making it anymore demanding, at the cost of having your character snap at whatever amount. Something as small as an additional 0.5m distance from the collier makes a huge difference in reliability. Note that the faster you go, the longer you can make the raycast without someone knowing. I'd suggest making it so the raycast increases with player speed.
    For high speed Sonic gameplay, I feel that you should only use Unity's physics for the player collider that collects items/ gets damaged.
    You can probably fix your collision without rewriting much code by just decreasing the fixed time step under Edit>ProjectSettings>Time as long as that code is in FixedUpdate. This will make it so your code runs this amount every second (by default it's 50fps or 0.02). Know that the game may slow down to keep with this and it's dependent on the processor. However, this will make it as reliable as you need it to be. You might have already known this, but hey, I'm trying to help what little I can :V
    Anyways, good luck Gistix, and good work!

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump. A demo is out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0vbDboZuM&t=0s

You should probably post Bug feedback for Gistix here.