Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 06 PC Remake - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 17 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 06 PC Remake

#151 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Yeah Gistix, I know you don't have much to share but you should give an update saying that the project is still alive.

Unless it isn't, it has been nearly 5 months since you made that post and 2 months since he last logged in.

#152 User is offline 360 

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
It has gone suspiciously quiet. I hope that the project hasn't been abandoned and all we'e left with is Kingdom Valley. If you're reading this Gistix an update would be great.

#153 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
I'm sure everything is fine. Gistix has (so far) only shown up once in a blue moon. While an update would be nice, I seriously doubt this silence means the project has been abandoned.

#154 User is offline 360 

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive

View PostAtendega, on 11 August 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'm sure everything is fine. Gistix has (so far) only shown up once in a blue moon. While an update would be nice, I seriously doubt this silence means the project has been abandoned.

Ah okay cool - perhaps I'm worrying for nothing. You're right he does rarely show up here. Hopefully he checks in soon with an update.

#155 User is offline Gistix 

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hello everyone! I'm still working on this game although not as much as I'd want to, come closer and I'll tell you everything:

What has been done:
  • Most of the gameplay related stuff have been rewriten on Unity 5, everything is working wonderfully.
  • Added all of Sonic's Kingdom Valley, and also the two Wave Ocean sections. (Although the only exclusive object added is the "Water Slide")
  • Created Mach Speed Sonic, also working perfectly. Due to his speed some tweaks in collision may be necessary.

What has not been done:
  • Menus and result screen. I don't really like working with UI, but thankfully I just found somebody that is gladly helping me. (Lucas Rodrigues)

I also need to fix some objects of which I don't fully understand their inner workings.

And as if being busy wasn't enough to keep me away from this project, my hard drive is about to give up. But if I realise that I won't have enough time for this project or if something else happens, I will most likely open-source it as it is.
This post has been edited by Gistix: 12 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

#156 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

View PostGistix, on 12 August 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

my hard drive is about to give up.

Make sure to always have a backup from the past 10 or so work hours. a 5$ usb flash memory or a free google drive account is sure to be able to archive the essential data.

#157 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
Thanks for the update. Definitely keep backups!

#158 User is offline 360 

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
Oh wow an update - thanks for jumping in here and posting Gistix! Great to hear some news on the game. Keep going - your work is excellent!

#159 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Nice that you ported this to Unity 5. Unity 5.5 is also going to come with a new compiler and version of C#, so it should run even better there when it comes out.
As for collision issues, I dealt with something similar with high speeds having an issue with Unity's PhysX. My solution was to rewrite the physics using raycasting and set it all to FixedUpdate with the raycast being longer than the collision needs to be. Then when a character is close to a collider, snap him to where it hits + or - whatever value. This will make it so that you can get reliable collision without making it anymore demanding, at the cost of having your character snap at whatever amount. Something as small as an additional 0.5m distance from the collier makes a huge difference in reliability. Note that the faster you go, the longer you can make the raycast without someone knowing. I'd suggest making it so the raycast increases with player speed.
For high speed Sonic gameplay, I feel that you should only use Unity's physics for the player collider that collects items/ gets damaged.
You can probably fix your collision without rewriting much code by just decreasing the fixed time step under Edit>ProjectSettings>Time as long as that code is in FixedUpdate. This will make it so your code runs this amount every second (by default it's 50fps or 0.02). Know that the game may slow down to keep with this and it's dependent on the processor. However, this will make it as reliable as you need it to be. You might have already known this, but hey, I'm trying to help what little I can :V
Anyways, good luck Gistix, and good work!
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 12 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

#160 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

Bump. A demo is out!!

Published on Jan 6, 2017

Here we go! Let the joyous news be spread. We have finally finished the long-awaited demo release.

Download Link (Windows): https://drive.google...796154515809729

Minimal specs:
Dual Core Processor
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM memory

If you have any problem with the options menu, simply delete the settings.bin file inside the _Data folder.

The controls:

Left Stick - Directional Keys
Right Stick (Camera controls) - W, A, S, D
A Button - Space
X Button - X
B Button - C
Start Button - Enter/Return
Left Trigger (Resets camera) - Left Shift

Compatible with Xbox 360/One Controller. For other controllers just assign them in the "Input" tab inside the launcher.

You should probably post Bug feedback for Gistix here.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 08 January 2017 - 08:05 AM
Reason for edit: Removed the donation link

#161 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

• Wiki edits:19
Not a bug: but Sonic shouldn't say the same thing repeatedly when going through multiple rings (based on what I saw in pre-demo videos for the original game.) Anyway, this looks pretty amazing: a Sonic 06 with a stable frame-rate, faster grinding, and a homing attack with gravity.

#162 User is offline Morph 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Just as frustratingly clunky as the original. And I mean that in the least offensive way possible--this is an impressively accurate recreation.

#163 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wiki edits:8
Oh dear, they proooobably shouldn't be asking for donations for a fangame.

#164 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

• Wiki edits:22
This is impressively and disturbingly accurate. And yeah, they probably shouldn't be asking for donations. It's not even really a fangame as much of a straight-up port of a game owned by Sega. I've noticed that donations are more common now for fangames, emulators, etc. though. It's really toeing the line.

#165 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostTimmiT, on 06 January 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Oh dear, they proooobably shouldn't be asking for donations for a fangame.

Maybe if the way they were asking was switched people might feel differently. Pateron seems to be the go-to "give me money for ____ project" and its legally in the grey.

View PostMorph, on 06 January 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Just as frustratingly clunky as the original. And I mean that in the least offensive way possible--this is an impressively accurate recreation.

Is that from trying it or just visuals alone? like to hear your thoughts on this Morph.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 06 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

• 17 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users