Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition Think tank/release thread

#31 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I can totally get behind that idea KKM. As long as I can get pacpack to work right I'll definitely aim for something like this. As far as coloring is concerned, I'm thinking then a bluish/green hue for the grass/plants and white stone textures to replace the checkered patters. Once I figure out the intricacies of editing the in level tiles this will look pretty cool I think.

Sorry I can't show as much progress as I'd like, but I'm learning as I go along. This is just for fun after all. But for whatever reason Lost World interests me, so I have more determination to complete this than I did, say, my idea for a Sonic Adventure UI edit.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 11 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

#32 User is offline TheUltimaXtreme 

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

• Breaking logic since whenever
  • Project:LPs

View PostAtendega, on 10 November 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

First of all, don't call it "fixed" edition. It makes you sound overly self-righteous. Calling SADX: Fixed Edition by that name makes sense, because it is fixing bugs. You're just tweaking things based on your personal opinions. You aren't "fixing" anything.

Being fair, he IS planning to fix things. Frankly, SLW PC was my first run of this game, and while I had parts of fun, I also had hours of frustration because of either little things or inconsistent difficulty.

Yes, it's down to opinions, but general consensus dictates that these are inherent flaws in the game. While the design docs say these things are what MAKES the game, we just don't like them.

I'm glad I got my first time in, but in its current state, I can't see myself returning to it anytime soon like Generations. I commend OP for this idea, because if he can turn this game into something more inline with the Sonic image, I might be willing to return to Lost World.

If level edits are in order, could we see some removals of certain enemies and spike strips? I ended up with many a cheap death in my run as I got to the late game. I understand the last areas are supposed to be harder, but level design that discourages the whole point of Sonic going fast and just being blindsided is not cool.

#33 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostTheUltimaXtreme, on 14 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

If level edits are in order, could we see some removals of certain enemies and spike strips? I ended up with many a cheap death in my run as I got to the late game. I understand the last areas are supposed to be harder, but level design that discourages the whole point of Sonic going fast and just being blindsided is not cool.

Yep, I plan on doing level layout changes (Well, at least as far as placed objects go). So some spikes or enemies may be removed or added depending on what the situation asks for (I'd add stuff if the area was too empty/dull for example). Certain things will be replaced, like some animal capsules with items, and most dash panels will be removed.

#34 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

• Project:Brawl Minus
Any plans for changes to the core movement of the game? That would be pretty key.

#35 User is offline Shade Vortex 

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

• The Black Vortex
  • Project:Twitch Streams

View PostElliot Gindi, on 14 November 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Any plans for changes to the core movement of the game? That would be pretty key.

Pretty sure this was said before: The physics are hardcoded. So reverse-engineering the .exe would be required, and as with Generations, people are worried that would cross a legal grey line with SEGA. I guess it's figured that they don't care about the Classic Sonic games because they're so old, but we can't be sure they won't are about something more recent.

#36 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

Generations has had its exe reverse engineered before, hasn't it? Unleashed renderer, higher shadow resolution, that one mod that restored Unleashed's homing attack trail, all exe modifications if I'm remembering right.

#37 User is offline Shade Vortex 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

• The Black Vortex
I seem to at least recall it being brought up before that people didn't want to make any significant changes to Generations' .exe, but I guess I could be remembering wrong. Still, might take a while to be able to make significant changes to Lost World.

#38 User is offline Dude 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

• Project:Random VR/AR trash
  • Wiki edits:43

View PostShade Vortex, on 14 November 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostElliot Gindi, on 14 November 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Pretty sure this was said before: The physics are hardcoded. So reverse-engineering the .exe would be required, and as with Generations, people are worried that would cross a legal grey line with SEGA.

It has nothing to do with this and everything to do with the complexity of reverse engineering a modern video game. Remember that the original Sonic games didn't have their gameplay code disassembled for a long time after their release.

#39 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

I mean yea there are definitely things I'd like to do, but it comes down to the fact that it would require reverse engineering and I'm not really a coder. I just want to make the base game more fun (in my eyes anyway). It'll still play and feel the same though, so for better or for worse that's all I can do for now (which until some more updated tools are released I'm at a bit of a standstill. But don't worry, once the pakpack and Sonic Glvl get tweaked a bit I'll be back and ready to go).
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 15 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

#40 User is offline Shade Vortex 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

• The Black Vortex
My bad for not remembering the reason it hadn't really been done... but yeah, all in all don't expect any major changes for a good while. I want to see some major things changed too, believe you me, but I think we'll mostly get model/music/voice/sound swaps and level mods, similar to how Generations was for a while (and even when there was more major stuff, it's few and far between). We got lucky with Generations having its physics specified in an XML file.
This post has been edited by Shade Vortex: 15 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

#41 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hey guys guess what, this isn't dead! I got my computer up and running again and a fixed version of pacpack has been released, so hopefully with all this I can at least start doing some graphic work on Sky Road again. I may not have as much time as before since I have a job, but I'm still very much interested in Sonic Lost World: As I truly imagined it.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users