Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Gorbichev's Revenge - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Gorbichev's Revenge

#16 User is offline qiuu 

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

• Project:Blue Ball & Blocks
  • Wiki edits:13

View Postredhotsonic, on 01 November 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Well, SuperEgg and I had a little bit of time on our hands, so we decided to give this a go over Kega's netplay. SuperEgg encountered a weird bug (Sonic wouldn't stop walking into the wall and lost control), but that was the only one we noticed. We had a laugh.

It's interesting seeing other people playing it, especially with live commentary. Having seen some footage and having played with irl friends has made me aware of some gameplay issues.

As Sonic, often even well-timed attacks get you hurt because the many of the orb patterns are dense and change fast. So even if you have a very good grip on Sonic's moves, you don't feel fully in control because sometimes your attacks work and sometimes they don't (even if Gorbi just moves around without attacking/defending himself). Making the orb patterns slower and/or less dense should make Sonic's success attack rate higher, and thus the Gorbi player will have to react with e.g. the shield or an explicit counter attack, or a body slam before Sonic can make a coordinated attack (maybe have a new attack that give Gorbi a quick speed boost for body slamming Sonic?). The change orbs "attack" could then give an increased chance to get a stronger orb pattern.

Sonic is faster than Gorbi, however Gorbi can move freely while Sonic is bound to gravity and needs platforms to get up. Therefore the Gorbi player has it quite easy running away after losing his orbs, and most of them time, when Sonic reaches him, the orbs are back already. The delay after losing the orbs should probably be a bit longer. This would also give it a bit more of a cat and mouse (or more like Tom and Jerry) gameplay where the cat chasing the mouse has intermissions of the mouse chasing the cat for a while. The arenas, or at least some of them, should probably also be designed to accommodate for Sonic to get around more easily.

The aimed orb is too powerful when used in quick succession. In the initial implementation it used to be useless, so I took gravity into account for its trajectory, and now when Sonic stands still the aimed orb will always hit spot on. I think a delay after each aimed orb to prevent Gorbi from just shooting a long chain of orbs is in order.

Players who haven't player Sonic Boom very much will take time to get used to Sonic's new moves. This is inevitable, but the learning curve can be a bit frustrating I guess. I remember myself when I played Sonic Boom for the first time...

I'd be very interested to hear opinions, especially on gameplay issues, from other people who have tried the game. If we decide to make another revision we'll definitely take all mentioned things into account and give it more playtesting.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users