Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Question : Game Gear Remakes? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Question : Game Gear Remakes? Just wondering....

#16 User is offline Blaxer 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

• Sup?
  • Project:Sonic Origins [Mini Hack]
@Zeoinx: To your question about game gear remakes, there was also the jungle zone port that was in Sonic the Hedgehog Plus Though the level layout was a tad bit small. That and it was only one act long. still it was pretty neat to see and play at the time.

@DerZocker: that level art looks awesome Dude. Too bad it's only a mock-up :<

#17 User is offline Zeoinx 

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

So after being inspired by the great sprite sheets posted earlier......I attempted to edit them, well, needless to say Im not THAT good, thus, I cheated a little, I copied the official game tile's and blew them up 1 : 2 pixel scale, and edited from there.

After spending about a hour or so....and some relaxing music from Chrono Cross, I came up with...... A PALM TREE!

Will this work oh great and holy programmers? As Im not sure about my pallet. Posted Image

That said, I've been up all night, Im going to hug my pillow for a few hours and if you like it, ill see about doing ALL the tiles that way.
This post has been edited by Zeoinx: 02 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

#18 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

• Wiki edits:41
It's SORTA around this line, but I made some 16 bit translations of the Mean Bean Machine 8 bit backgrounds:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not 100% positive they'd work within the palettes and VRAM space since MBM hacking is sparse however.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 02 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

#19 User is offline DerZocker 

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

• Project:Spriting and hardly getting shit done
those are pretty awesome, Psi. I hope to see them implemented someday.
Another thing I hope to tackle someday is doing a few Tails' Adventure tilesets.

#20 User is offline Zeoinx 

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

So Im not as talented as DerZocker at building the most epic of sprites, that said, I did start my own attempt at a tileset for the first level, I'll be progressing through the tiles little by little, here is what I got so far.

Posted Image

By all means, give critique. Just don't be to harsh, im newbie! xD

Each tile is 32x32

(So just to make sure the tile's tiled correction in a game engine, I poped the sheet into RPG Maker XP's database, and made this, sonic was added after I screenshot the result.+

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Zeoinx: 02 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

#21 User is offline unfnknblvbl 

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

I've also wondered this. The 8-bit games were wildly different experiences, but I've rarely gone back to them after experiencing the 16bit ones since I saw them for the poorly-performing rubbish they were. Which is a shame, because there were some excellent levels in Sonic 2 & Sonic Chaos. I'm sure Sonic Triple Trouble was a great game too, but it always performed too poorly to keep my attention. I always loved how the SMS got a third Sonic game before the Megadrive/Genesis did, back in the day.

Zeonix; I like your idea and direction. The games don't need to be remade with entirely new graphics (at least, not yet) - I'd be over the moon just with the existing assets and layouts plonked into the S3K engine.

#22 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
I'd be interested to see something like Melpontro's Somari remake. That seems like it would be more doable than recreating the games as Genesis hacks.

#23 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postunfnknblvbl, on 04 November 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

The games don't need to be remade with entirely new graphics (at least, not yet) - I'd be over the moon just with the existing assets and layouts plonked into the S3K engine.

Yeah, I was about to say that. Just having the same exact graphics (the MD can also use the SMS/GG "wide" low-res mode) but with the S3K physics would be amazing already, and probably a more realistic goal in the short term.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 04 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

#24 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
On the question of Game Gear remakes... Painto has a Bridge Zone in his hack...

I myself am doing Bridge, Jungle and Sky Base, along with the SMS Bonus Stage for my hack.

Shame no one has remade Triple Trouble for the S3K engine... talk about something to jump on a Patreon bandwagon for...

View PostZeoinx, on 02 November 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

So Im not as talented as DerZocker at building the most epic of sprites, that said, I did start my own attempt at a tileset for the first level, I'll be progressing through the tiles little by little, here is what I got so far.

Posted Image

By all means, give critique. Just don't be to harsh, im newbie! xD

Each tile is 32x32

(So just to make sure the tile's tiled correction in a game engine, I poped the sheet into RPG Maker XP's database, and made this, sonic was added after I screenshot the result.+

Posted Image

Art style looks great, though the trees could be improved a little bit. My biggest complaint is the proportion of the forground compared to Sonic. I feel like the foreground should be a lil bit larger.
This post has been edited by KingofHarts: 04 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

#25 User is offline Zeoinx 

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

Yea, the pillar sonic is layin on is actually 1x1 scale to the GG Tiles, the ones to the right are 1x2 scale, the grass is actually the exact same grass as the GG, I didnt really know what to do with it, but the dirt has been changed to spiky texture shape.

#26 User is offline unfnknblvbl 

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

I just found this:

It looks pretty much what I imagine a remake would/should look like in my head, but what do I know? :D
This post has been edited by unfnknblvbl: 13 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

#27 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

Scale is a really important consideration.

I've thought about this for a while and feel that 1.5x horizontally and 1.2x vertically would be ideal for layouts. This matches up with Sonic's sprite size between the 16-bit and 8-bit games, and would space rings that are 16 pixels apart (common in 8-bit) to be 24 pixels apart (common in 16-bit).

As for physics, assuming that scale, 8-bit Sonic jumped slightly higher, ran slightly slower and accelerated much faster than 16-bit Sonic. Some levels would need to be tweaked to take the lower jump of 16-bit Sonic into account. Alternatively, a 1.25x horizontal and 1.0 vertical scale could work, wouldn't have to tweak the ledge heights. Each 32x32 would easily translate to 40x32.

I don't think all of the graphics need to be scaled. Smaller stuff that closely follows the grid should probably be left as-is, whereas decorations (like bushes, trees, etc) should be scaled up and aspect ratio corrected.

Iceknight, what are your thoughts on my proposed scales?
This post has been edited by Sodaholic: 15 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

#28 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:42 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
You're going to have to specify what game you're talking about, because Sonic 1 SMS != Sonic 1 GG != Sonic Triple Trouble and everything in between as far as scaling goes.

#29 User is offline DerZocker 

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

That hack makes Sonic and Tails look like giants. A few good appoaches, but overall it just looks weird.
Most of the time I just enlarged the graphics by x2, though sometimes I also incorporate the original tiles into the texture (Meta Junglira Zone for example)
So... what would you recommend for Chaos' and Triple Trouble's graphics? And does the Game Gear actually has square pixels btw? I just found this forum post via a quick google search, but I don't really understand all the technical stuff there, especially how the GG's aspect ratio corelates to the Master System's. Maybe I should also check how the (hacked) SMS versions of Chaos, Triple Trouble and Tails' Adventure look on tv in direct comparison to their GG counterparts

#30 User is offline DerZocker 

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

Sorry for the doublepost, but I just made a few photos of Triple Trouble SMS running at 60Hz on a tube tv. (for now only GTZ, sorry)
I actually have the feeling the size ratios in this game are actually all over the place. Some graphics look like they were made with square pixels in mind (title screen, wheels on SPZ carts) while others look like they were intended to be stretched on a tv screen. (Sonic, Wood Buttarundorf, bumper bubbles)
Compare to the screenshots in the Game Gears actual resolution
http://www.mobygames...ble/screenshots
I also stared on my GG's screen through magnifier, but that left me even more puzzled. For the bare eye, the pixels actually look taller than wide, still the overall picture looks a bit wider than it appears in the internal resolution. Almost seems like they just sometimes forgot to account for the stretching then :v:/>

Posted Image
The big ring and Sonic himself look a bit squashed here

Posted Image
I believe for the level tiles it's more subjective

Posted Image
though, the loops look way less narrow and more like the Mega Drive countrparts here

Posted Image
Notice how Sonic looks like a perfect sphere

In the end it seems the aspect ratio correction should just be decided on a per tile/sprite base, depending on what looks more natural

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users