Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition Initial Release

#31 User is online Jayextee 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27
FBZ2 has been the high point thus far. I've had to give my Sonic playthrough a break after game-over (FOR REAL, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I've GAME OVER'D IN A SONIC GAME FOR A LONG TIME AND I THINK THE LAST ONE WAS D.A. GARDEN'S OTHER HACK) on Death Egg 2 -- to play through as Knuckles. There be some evil in these layouts. Love it though; fringe moments of layout-genius dotted here and there. I should expect nothing less. <3

Only gripe I have is that my PSP battery only lasts two hours or so these days. Incidentally, this hack works fine on PicoDrive.

#32 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh and as far as compatibility is concerned, this works just fine on hardware, save for that little S3K native glitch I experienced earlier.

#33 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Not sure why it won't work on any of the three Genesis emulators I have on my Raspberry Pi set-up then, especially considering one of them is PicoDrive. Hmm. This hack still rules even when I'm forced to play it on a laptop instead. I'll be back with more thoughts once I finish.

#34 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

• Wiki edits:44
I've been looking into the cause of a game freeze in Special Stage 3, that a few people have informed me of. While I don't quite know the cause yet, I do know that, for some unknown reason, the blue sphere-to-ring algorithm is being triggered when it shouldn't. This only affects one blue sphere in the stage, and touching said sphere from one particular direction. While I'm trying to figure out how to fix this particular issue, I would ask that anyone playing Special Stage 3 take the following measures to ensure they are unaffected by it.

When you approach 3 lines of rings in front of you separated by bumpers, you can do one of 2 things:

1) Take the left line first when presented with the three lines like so:
Posted Image
This is the easiest solution and will ensure that the special stage will not freeze.

2) Take the middle or right line. When you get to the end and have to come back, do not take the initial left line back; take the middle or right line instead.
Posted Image
If you are in a situation like this after your first line of blue spheres is cleared (in the screenshot's instance, the middle line), touching the blue sphere in front of you will freeze the stage. (Only this one, and from this direction.)

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but this is the best I can do for now.
This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 20 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

#35 User is online Felik 

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:11 AM

You can just just replace the broken line with rings. Or all three of them even.

#36 User is online Titan 

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

Wow, thanks for giving S3K a new lease of life :D I had an absolute blast playing this. So refreshing to play a hack where the level design was challenging, but fair. And simply the novelty of it being an S3K hack! Didn't even bother me about the lack of new palettes, music, just meant it felt like an expansion/mission pack for the original game, or something. Great stuff :)

#37 User is offline NeoFusionBox 

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

• Lost in the armageddon
  • Project:Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Pro Survivor and Sonic 1: Emerald Land
As I promised in Twitch chat. I'm here.

I was about to show these bugs before, but I preferred finish the game first, and I just it today (with Sonic).

Well, let's start;

There is an area in Ice Cap act 1, that after a ice column "crush" me, I got stuck between the ground:
Posted Image

I presume you haven't placed the GTGT (invisible block) here, or that are in wrong place.

In Launch Base act 1 there is a random object out in path:
Posted Image
Perhaps, you just have added this accidentally in SonED2 / SonLVL.

In Sky Sanctuary, there is something wrong with that Robo Egg:
Posted Image

Must be another object causing this, I don't sure, although, this happens just in seconds, after that, it returns to normal.

Now, a bug that probably aren't related with this hack, but I still found interesting to post:
Posted Image

Did S3&K even had a bug related? I don't know if this is part of the hack, or from original game, and I don't know if anyone has found this already.

I think now I can tell a bit about the hack itself.

Man, man, these layouts... You really did a nice job making them, the paths you've made is really genially; Angel Island, hydrocity Flying Battery, Lava Reef and Death were most enjoyable layouts, specially Angel Island 2. I'm saying this because know, how would be HARD fit that complex chunks in Angel Island 2, and I would say Death Egg wasn't anything easy to edit as well. Sometimes I really feel I'm replaying the session from original S3&K, but in a different way, and I kinda agree with Sparks, the layout sounds more or less an "act 3" or "act 4" of the game. Too bad the palettes edit isn't there, I really liked somes.

It shows all your six years you've been working on this hack, paid off. Exceptional work, D.A Garden.

Okay, before finish my post, I realized the Knuckles cutscene with Sonic in Hydrocity act 2 isn't there. Well, that was because of Ice Cap act 2 cutscene? Both are really similar, I think you used the same (or half) code to.

Edit: Now I need finish game with Knuckles.
This post has been edited by NeoFusionBox: 06 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

#38 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:51 AM

NeoFusionBox:

The Icecap issue is an odd one. There's no GTGT block (Invisible solid object) in this area, as the block should kill you when it crushes you into the floor. I might have to add an invisible instant-kill object if I can recreate it.

Launch Base Zone's object placement is intentional. I have used those spiked pillars in the open in quite a few places. Some people say they don't work, and are out of place, but I think they work just fine, so I'm leaving them alone.

In Sky Sanctuary, I have removed the EggRobo object that launches up and off the screen from the area, as it was conflicting with the EggRobo badnik. The art is no longer being affected.

The Carnival Night issue is just Tails being Tails. It seems he jumped onto the barrel and then barrel was unloaded due to distance, so Tails is just stuck there. This can happen on quite a few objects with Tails as a sidekick.

Thanks for all of these issues; I have implemented fixes and they will be in the bug-fix release to be released in the future.

#39 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:32 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Hey, guys, we are planning on streaming DA's hack on Twitch later on. We'll keep you posted :)
This post has been edited by redhotsonic: 24 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

#40 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

• Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
It took 6 years to develop this hack, and I have to say, it is well worth the wait. I can't remember how long I've wanted a complete Sonic 3 hack, and I just now realized that we now have one. I agree, the levels do feel like additional acts of each zone, and swapping the Sonic and Knuckles bosses in MGZ2 is a nice touch.

#41 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostD.A. Garden, on 24 October 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

The Icecap issue is an odd one. There's no GTGT block (Invisible solid object) in this area, as the block should kill you when it crushes you into the floor. I might have to add an invisible instant-kill object if I can recreate it.

Solid blocks can't crush you if you have any vertical speed, and won't even push you down if you are moving down. So stand at the lowest part of the ground and inch your way up as the crusher moves down to enter terrain and you should be able to do it in a few tries.

#42 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
The stream may still be happening, but possibly later this evening or tomorrow. Hopefully we'll keep you posted, but I am now not going to be involved with the stream as things have come up. So, for my last Let's Try video:

#43 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info, flamewing. I'll look into fixing it. Again, I'm trying to fix as many issues as possible for a bug-fix release in the future.

#44 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

• Wiki edits:980
I encountered a game breaking bug in Marble Garden Zone Act 1:

Posted Image

Normally there's a top in this area, but the second I fell down, Tails fell down onto it and it flew off the screen. I can't run off the screen to make the top respawn, so I'm stuck here until time runs out.

#45 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

True Dude:

I've removed the breakable wall to the right. I was going to replace it with a spin-breakable one, but they can't be broken with the top.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users