Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 The Next Level - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 The Next Level

#1 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

• Do you have a sister?
  • Wiki edits:16
Posted Image

>>> Blast through powerful air-tubes, >>> around exploding platforms, >>> ride bicycles with anti gravity >>> then get sucked into an empty void and face your enemy!! >>> Have you ever played Sonic The Hedgehog on a different planet?! >>>

Remember the time that I said to you, that I was done? Well guess what, I lied! The initial plan was to submit something to the homebrew contest, a sort of new homebrew ROM I had been working on through the duration of the year. Unfortunately I had the strong suspicion that I would not have it done before the deadline. So, the last three months of the contest were spent on making a Sonic 1 hack specifically for the contest, since I don't normally submit to the contest I felt the urge and necessity to do so.

This hack features a new level with three acts. The artwork is 100% original with exception to the obvious Sonic 1 stuff from the original game. The music on the other hand is not, some of the music is SMPS based, some of it is PCM tracker based using a new special sound driver. The thing is though, regardless of how they were made, they all originate from somewhere else. Now, you guys at retro are good at research, you're very good, so good in fact, that I would love to put that to the test! Here is a list:

Title Screen Theme (PCM) - Space - 20 million miles from earth.
Gust Planet Act 1 (SMPS) - Wez Clarke & Maxine Hardcastle - It's Gonna Happen
Gust Planet Act 2 (PCM) - Alex Lee - Take it (1992)
Gust Planet Act 3 (SMPS) - I-Level - Treacle
Invincible Theme (PCM) - Rapina Bros - Reach To The Top
Super Sneakers Theme (SMPS) - Sonic Labyrinth - Bonus Stage
Act 3 Boss Theme (PCM) - DJ Mayhem - M-Power
Bonus, Unused Boss Theme (SMPS) - Remix of Gust Planet Act 3

Seven tracks, seven origins. Can you work out the origin? I shall donate $10 to the Retro site, for every track identified. Show me how good you are Retro, I challenge you...

Well done, you guessed 4 of the tracks, and an extra origin. $50 have been donated to SonicRetro.

And a final note, probably the most important one, the credits (lest we forget):

• 3rd Act Layout - Gallium Grant.
  • Gameplay Testers - iojnekns, snkenjoi, EditChris
  • Bug finders - DAGarden, qiuu, Selbi, SonicVaan

Download
This post has been edited by MarkeyJester: 25 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

#2 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

• Some say that Heaven is Hell
  • Project:ass
Awesome...

If you don't want to be spoiled, GO PLAY IT NOW!!

Spoiler

This was the first hack that made me smile, not from laughter, but from sheer joy.

I musn't forget about the others you've worked with! They are all awesome as well and they deserve as much praise as you.

Well done, Mr. Jester and teammates. You all get a cookie:
Posted Image
Well, most of it, I kind of took a bite out of it. Sorry. =P
This post has been edited by ArtmeierCompanies: 11 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

#3 User is offline MotorRoach 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

Put what you love about the hack in spoilers, mister. You are kind of ruining surprises over here `^ยด

But yeah, I love what I went through in here too. I don't even know where to start about it!

#4 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Posted Image
See that badnik? I was supposed to make that. Then shit got in the way and I never got the time to work on it. It sucks, but maybe some other day...

It's amazing what you can make in just a few months.

#5 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

I went into this hack already having fairly high expectations because of your previous work, AND THEN EVEN MY HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS WERE BLOWN AWAY OMG-

Honestly, this is doing things that I thought only the extra SEGA CD hardware could pull off effectively; clear music samples and all. I'll be playing the rest of this to see what other surprises The Next Level has in store.

#6 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:06 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
That fucking ending. I knew you would have some kind of twist in the game, but I did not expect that boss.

Nor what followed after.

Bravo to everyone, especially the level designers. This was a really fun level to play; it rarely felt cheap and always felt like stuff was flowing smooth.

#7 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:52 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Well, that was fun and epic. Great job!

#8 User is online Strife 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:54 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2
I'm thoroughly impressed. The level design in this hack is smart and never once felt unfair. The graphics and tiles are gorgeous and all of the unique badniks and gimmicks are well designed. Overall it feels just like something out of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't win any Hacking Contest awards.

#9 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:51 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
I never understood the logic of releasing your own SHC entry early before they all go public, but oh well~ :v:/>

You'll hear more of my opinion when the rest are all live.

#10 User is offline RazoZen 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:49 AM

• Project:Current projects: Various Sonic hacks. The Emeralds Quest.
I hope the rest of the SHC entries will be as good as this. Excellent job on everything. :)

#11 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165
This is incredible. Extremely well designed levels, fun, new and innovative mechanics and one of the best bosses I've ever seen in a hack.

I'm also stunned by the music. Not only are they great choices, some of the FM work is stunning - I was floored when I realised the pluck sounds in the first act were FM.

In addition to being a technical marvel this is also a solid and fantastic level on its own to play. Stellar work.
This post has been edited by DalekSam: 12 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

#12 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

• Project:College
I want whatever you guys were on when designing that boss :specialed:

Great work as always.

#13 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
Come on guys, does nobody here even try to find out what music this is? Not even I do, and I've beta tested this thing. I want to know. Go go go!

#14 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

• Do you have a sister?
  • Wiki edits:16
Well I'm glad you liked it guys, I am a little disappointed (as Selbi also noticed) that no one's even attempted to work out the origins of the music though =(

View PostCinossu, on 12 October 2015 - 12:51 AM, said:

I never understood the logic of releasing your own SHC entry early before they all go public, but oh well~ :v:/>/>/>

Well, if I cannot update the copy on the SHC site anylonger, then it's pointless waiting one week before releasing it. The build released one week later will end up being 1:1 binary identical. It doesn't change the quality. Some people might release their project last thinking that they have the "edge" of tilting the responses in their favour, there is logic to this, but you know me, I am a man of my word, what you see is what you get, I don't need silly psychological tricks like that to make a product of high standards. I let people make up their own minds as to whether or not they like it, without relying on cheap tricks.

I'm sorry if I've disappointed you in that regard, but that's just how I feel about it.

#15 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165
I haven't even attempted as Markey's taste in music is usually obscure 90s dnb and jungle and I'd have no idea where to delve into for that :v:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users