Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mobius Evolution - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Mobius Evolution

#31 User is offline Chaud 

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostEduardo Knuckles, on 15 August 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

View PostChaud, on 09 August 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

• Some good art here and there (like the first level), but some bad art coming in the package (Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • There are beautiful levels in there, but also, one of the most horrendous creations ever seen in a hack - the "lights" of Neon Star, what the hell was that, dear god.
  • Some interesting bosses (I love the concept of the first boss), but others extremely underwhelming (again, Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • The levels appear to have multiple paths and are even somewhat lengthy, but... Springs. Springs everywhere. Too much of Dimps in there?

It'd be nice if you be specific about the third thing. Giving details about how to improve the bosses and such. The springs thing is also one of the things we're fixing too.

No problem, but bear with me - english isn't my native language, so I have some difficulty in finding the best words to describe what I think.

• First boss: Robotnik on a spring. I just love it, it's simple, but fun, and really matches with the concept of the game. Great idea there.
  • Second boss: A giant robot fish. Well... It's nothing spectacular, but we can live with it. The problem isn't so much the idea, but the execution. Clownacy did a great summary. The art is very amateurish (the original badnick stretched, basically), the stage is slow and excessively long, and the attack pattern of the boss is boring. C'mon, it's basically stuck during most of the fight, while others badnicks "fly" by. Take the concept itself: a piranha robot. This virtually *demands* that the fighting against it involves, basically, it trying to bite Sonic while moving through the area. Leaving it still is everything you should *not* have done there.
  • Third boss: a tank that shoots bombs. I even found the idea interesting, but the movement of the boss is really strange, it doesn't seem natural. It moves way too fast, looks more like a pasted image on screen than something that is really there. Compare it with the natural movement of the first boss in Sonic 2, F-6t. The fact that it suddenly changes the direction its facing (that "horizontal flip") is kinda awkward. Again in Sonic 2, when the F-6t change the direction its facing, it does so off-screen. Possibly because it's a car, this sudden change is strange (a feeling that doesn't occur in the flying bosses) - so I would recommend that you should follow its example and don't make this change within the visible area. Also, the sprite should have more animation (especially in the wheels), as it seems somewhat "motionless". This only worsens the impression that it's a pasted image on the screen.
  • Fourth boss: similarly to the above case. the star moves aren't "natural", it's like something from another game stuck in a Sonic game. The star doesn't seems to follow the internal logic of the game, which always seems to give the feeling of inertia and weight to everything in it. I don't know how you could solve this exactly, but I would say that the star's movement should follow more fluid patterns, think of it as an object that is part of the game. With acceleration, weight and inertia. And besides that, it would be interesting if the Egg Mobile had some modification in the art, possibly some ornaments and various neon lights to match the concept of the stage? It's kinda underwhelming as it is.
  • Last boss: I like the idea, but... The art leaves much to be desired there. The dragon's head is fine I guess, but its body clashes with the rest of the art in the game.They are *completely* different. The fact that it has no animation whatsoever and that the small flames that move "magically" in the screen are the only real challenge/enemy in there doesn't help one bit. It's the same as the second boss problem: most of the time it's just there, as "other stuff" attack you. In addition, those tiny little flames used in the boss's attacks have no impact. It doesn't looks like an attack made by the "final boss", a (supposedly powerful and mighty) dragon. They need to reach a bigger area, they need to larger, more menacing. It needs to look like something that would burn more than the tip of my finger.

And that's it, I think!

(And I want to reiterate that you should drastically decrease the "neon" effect of Neon Star. The constant color change isn't only terribly tiring for the eyes, but it's confusing as hell for the player and, above all, it's a pretty ugly effect. I wouldn't say that you should completely dismiss the idea, but limit this effect to *some* objects of the level. The whole background is overkill.)

View PostRitz, on 15 August 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

View PostClownacy, on 10 August 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Are you seriously going to go with the 'you can't criticise a game if you can't make one yourself' argument, on here of all places? SuperEgg's right. This is Into The Void. ...Unless you're making a point about people not at least respecting the amount of work put into the hack, which I can understand.

The latter. Completing a project is a skill. I'm astonished no one's discussing (or denying) that this is the first hack to provide a fresh experience from start to finish. That's an important milestone!

Yeah, it is important. But the point is that, in the end, what matters is the end result. I can admire the effort of someone put in his work, but if the result isn't interesting, in a way, is a waste. But this doesn't prevent him from trying to improve the negative points of the hack - because, personally, I think it has good potential.
This post has been edited by Chaud: 01 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

#32 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:24 AM

• Project:Brawl Minus
This seems neat but I read "hardware incompatibility" in an early post, it won't work on a real Genesis?

#33 User is offline NeoFusionBox 

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:49 AM

• Lost in the armageddon
  • Project:Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Pro Survivor and Sonic 1: Emerald Land
If you wait until SHC version, you will able to play it on.

#34 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:24 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Wow can't believe no one has bumped this since the hacking contest started.

I gave this game a full playthrough on my Genesis. Bravo good sir, it was fantastic. Original levels, new gimmicks, new bosses, whole 9 yards there. Just 2 minor things

1. The vine things in Egg Hell are kinda janky, definitely had some trouble getting by those, particularly with the gravity altering monitors in effect
2. The 2nd act of that crypt level doesn't have a special stage ring in it regardless of if you have 50 rings or not (Considering the special stages are pretty difficult I could use all the rings I can get).

But besides those, great, great stuff.

#35 User is online .Luke 

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

• Slowly going full furry
I've been playing this hack lately myself thanks to it being posted in the contest. It made me so happy to finally see Blaze in a Sonic rom hack for once; I'm also happy the animations I made for CylentNite's Blaze in a sheet on Spriter's Resource is also getting a lot of use now. I really should go back and purify the colors on that thing. (Some sprites have odd grays that aren't from the palette, and that obviously complicates the import process for hacks.)

It's not totally perfect looking in some places, but I applaud that we got a finished hack for once. The one-level demo wonders here and there are technically impressive, and they're also tiring at the same time when you know 99% of them will never be finished projects. I think the Sonic fan game scene has had enough overly ambitious projects that don't go anywhere.

#36 User is offline Abyssal Leopard 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

• Project:None
I wasn't going to waste one of my Trial Member posts for something about my hack, but... I consider it important.

http://www.mediafire...e27/s1built.bin

A quick update me and my team made in two weeks - the updating deadline in the Hacking Contest and the contest week. I thought it was necessary to fix a couple of things here and there, so there you go. As for the hack, I'm not going to work on it any more - lots of personal issues to solve, and as you might understand, I'm not going to go into specifics. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Credits:Music: DynamiteSlash / Mr. Moonshining, Cinossu (Final Boss theme)
Beta testing (Level layouts): Natsumi / Green Snake, Ralakimus, NeoFusionBox, AsuharaMoon, Dan, KarateCat
Beta testing (Real hardware): Ralakimus, JoenickROS
Artistic assistance: AsuharaMoon, GalliumGrant (for Uncharted Tide 3's boss graphics), Robot Echidna
Programming assistance: HCKTrox, HPZMan
Special Stage layout testing: Professor Neo
Blaze Sprites: Cylent Nite, .Luke, AsuharaMoon
Special Thanks: Bareirito, NewSonic, The Ducks, and so many others
NOTE: If you believe I have forgotten you, please mention yourself in the main topic in the forums and/or contact me wherever you can. – Abyssal Leopard

This hacking experience is something I will never forget, but I'm not gonna remember the experience itself only. Every one of you that has made a slight effort to keep this going will remain in my memory forever. You all, even those I might have had trouble with, are wonderful.

Another thing to note, that I'm not hacking any more (though I might decide to make a slightly polished version of this after I'm able to) doesn't mean I won't contribute in the community by posting suggestions, ideas and ways to improve to help other members. I'll be around, just not being involved in any personal project myself.

EDIT: I saw people enjoying the hack. I'm glad you've had a great time!

@Dark Sonic: I was able to fix the big ring issue, I didn't put it in that level in particular in the contest ROM due to a glitch that has already been dealt with. As for the cable gimmick, I wasn't able to do much, but I'm glad you've enjoyed the game.
This post has been edited by Abyssal Leopard: 01 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

#37 User is offline Felik 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostAbyssal Leopard, on 27 October 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Another thing to note, that I'm not hacking any more (though I might decide to make a slightly polished version of this after I'm able to) doesn't mean I won't contribute in the community by posting suggestions, ideas and ways to improve to help other members. I'll be around, just not being involved in any personal project myself.

@Dark Sonic: I was able to fix the big ring issue, I didn't put it in that level in particular in the contest ROM due to a glitch that has already been dealt with. As for the cable gimmick, I wasn't able to do much, but I'm glad you've enjoyed the game.

So the first and last version of the hack is going to be 3.0?
C'mon man, I really REALLY want to enjoy this hack but it's almost impossible to enjoy because of countless glitches. Right now it feels like a draft of a great hack rather than something actually playable.
It'd be a huge waste of effort if you decided to never polish this gem.

#38 User is offline Abyssal Leopard 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostFelik, on 29 October 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostAbyssal Leopard, on 27 October 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

So the first and last version of the hack is going to be 3.0?
C'mon man, I really REALLY want to enjoy this hack but it's almost impossible to enjoy because of countless glitches. Right now it feels like a draft of a great hack rather than something actually playable.
It'd be a huge waste of effort if you decided to never polish this gem.

Correction, this is 3.5. But I will do my best at making a bugfix version to be released soon.
EDIT: I would like you to list the amount of glitches you found so that I can fix them, if you don't mind -- it'd be great help. Perhaps I can do something about it
EDIT2: This... is not the first version of the game - the first version is 2.0, which is incredibly outdated and IS unplayable. This one is playable, but it definitely needs bug searching. I'll be slowly working on that.
This post has been edited by Abyssal Leopard: 30 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

#39 User is offline Abyssal Leopard 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

Bumping topic because I find it extremely necessary.

I noticed everybody is playing the Sonic Hacking contest versión, which was completely rushed. I've updated it since THE SHC2015 and uploaded the new version in the mediafire link I posted below. This is versión 3.5, not 3.0.

http://www.mediafire...e27/s1built.bin

Have fun.

EDIT: It includes a fix of a dick move found in a stream.
This post has been edited by Abyssal Leopard: 31 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

#40 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
I think this new version deserves people's attention. Even if you played the contest version, give this a run through.

#41 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Alright, this is a really, really fun project and from what I've played thus far (first Zone, all 3 acts), it has something I see comparatively rarely in such completed hacks - fair level design. : O The music's nicely done, too (love the Chaos Boss theme. : D ), though there appears some slight overlap between SFX- and music-channels. I mean, that's kinda always the case, but it seems somehow more noticable here. Nonetheless, an excellent team effort. : O Good job, y'all.

#42 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66

View PostHerm the Germ, on 01 November 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

The music's nicely done, too (love the Chaos Boss theme. : D )
Thank you very much. I'm glad to see my effort receiving feedback. By the way, I hope this to be the first time this song has been ported and used in a hack.
This post has been edited by Eduardo Knuckles: 04 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

#43 User is offline Abyssal Leopard 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

I'm sorry for the bump, and for wasting one of my Trial posts for this, but I consider it extremely necessary.

I just want to inform you all that I will be fixing issues in the game as people find them in streams and gameplays (I wasn't going to do this, but... considering the fact that this game has been actually successful, I'm going to at least make an effort in updating it to fix bugs... No new content will be in further updates, though). I might be updating the mediafire file constantly (without the need to change the link in the forums or anywhere), and I might upload the file in Sonic Games Dimension and in other forums when a significant amount of fixes have been made. Having seen how much people really appreciate this project, it would be indeed a shame if I left it with bugs that would interfere players' experience. And again, I thank those who have been supporting me and my team all this time.
This post has been edited by Abyssal Leopard: 12 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

#44 User is offline Sith 

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

• The molotov bitch
This is a very good hack IMO. I really enjoy playing this.
It has new art, new enemy behavior, new music and objects like the bubble, glider and balloon.
And this group of people actually made some original attack behavior for bosses (not just reused or imported bosses from other Sonic games).
It feels like a complete hack as all important aspects have been changed. What also deserves a thumbs up is that the hack is actually finished. Something that happens far too infrequently within the hacking community.
When polished, it will be one of my favorites. More ideas like this please.
This post has been edited by Sith: 18 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

#45 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:33 AM

I totally agree with Sith, I haven't finished it yet, but from what I've played so far I can tell, that it's definitelly worth attention (and worth to play of course) title. The only serious issue I had was that in first zone I've met (relatively often) situations when some "active" parts of the level (I mean platforms/"floors" where you can move) were "merged" (visually) with the surroundings, sometimes it could be a bit confusing (however it occured only in lower parts of the levels from this zone). Other than that though - it's a cool thing, with some variety and new elements, it's working fine. Good job, Abyssal Leopard!

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users