Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mobius Evolution - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Mobius Evolution

#16 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
Is this the first feature complete Sonic hack ever? I'm super impressed. New special stage layouts are great. Neon Star looks cool. Boss design is correct with intricate patterns that take advantage of the entire screenspace to gate the player's movement in an engaging way. I don't know when we got so snooty, most of the community has a long way to go to in terms of providing a real world game experience like this hack does.

#17 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
Posted Image

Well that's a run ender. Got stuck and can't get out. Looks like I will be using savestates from now on.

#18 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
The hack could stand to see improvements... for sure, but it's certainly a strong entry. I like it. I especially like the incorporation of new objects and gimmicks put in. A tad rough around the edges as far as how they control, but it was really refreshing. My favorite is that bubble. Nice work...

PS I would've liked to see something that'd make Blaze stand out more... even if it was merely an added fiery visual effect to her jump... or a glowing afterimage... something. But now I'm just being snooty.
This post has been edited by KingofHarts: 09 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

#19 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
Alright, time for me to take a crack at this thing.....

This hack is ok. I will admit, when I first watched the video, I was pretty fucking impressed. Layouts that made sense, new art, good music, and new gimmicks. But the more I watched the video, the more I started noticing the problems. I decided to take a crack at it and play it and confirm my suspicions and fears. They only got worse.

Lemme start with the most painful thing, the layouts themselves.

When watching the video, my eyes were caught on to the fact that the level layouts themselves made sense. I didn't see any mismatching chunks, Obj44 was placed where it needed to be, ect. It wasn't until about the third time watching, I saw the issues, and boy did they rear their ugly dick into my face.

A. The layouts have issues. It isn't just my tastes, it's the fact that this is a Sonic hack.
- Springs everywhere? This isn't a SMW hack, this is Sonic. You know, the character that can run really fucking fast? It boggles the mind why he bothered even plopping the Spin Dash into the game, but have a fuckton of autoplay segments with springs everywhere. Why bother? If the game makes you go fast every five seconds, the need for the player to use the Spin Dash just comes off as redundant and un-needed.
- The chunk layout is fine, honestly, it may need a bit of tweaking here and there, but it is fine.
- Another thing that bothers me is the crazy amount of Eggman monitors. Why? I literally died within the first 3 seconds because of the stupid Eggman monitor placed at the very fucking start. Don't give that shit "Oh, you just suck at playing." No, I don't. I have played S3K half asleep and didn't die in FBZ2, this should be no excuse for me dying within the first three seconds.

The author needs to learn the basic concepts of Sonic platforming and level layouts. There is a right way to stylize a game and make it your own, but throwing all the conventions away, and saying, "fuck it, let's do us." is fucking stupid. If they want to make a layout with your own style, go for it. But ensure it matches with abilities of the character, otherwise, why bother? I don't remember ever saying, "You know, Sonic 4 was great. Wanna know why? Speed boosters." That's how this game feels. Speed Boosters.

B. The use of the gimmicks. I like em', I like them a lot. You know what I'd like more? The use of these gimmicks for than a few seconds. For example, the Hot Air Balloon. You get on it in Act 1, then you get off of it, that's it. Never seen again until Act 2, but once more, briefly. Why? It is a great thing, use it more. Same with the hang glider. It boggles the mind why he would port a gimmick from S2 8-Bit, but then don't bother using it for more than a few seconds. Yes, I understand it was only used in 1 zone in S2, but it was used for a reason. The hang glider here is used for a literal 3 second run to the end. Why? On the note of the hang glider, it could control better. I know, I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it was bothersome enough.

C. The art could be better. The level that's supposed to Star Light Zone is the most blatant in it's need for sprucing up. As noted, the BG and the FG sometimes converge into each other, which is a bit of a problem to me. The art has no complete depth, and the lighting is off. It is drawn as if the lighting source is coming from the screen, as opposed to somewhere in the level. So, a lot of the art I see is going dark-less dark-middle-less dark-dark. As opposed to dark-less dark-middle-slightly bright-bright, or the reverse. It definitely needs work, but I can see it is in the growing stages.

D. Music is pretty good. Can't complain, all the ports sounded well. The only suggestion that I have is that instead he use a z80 driver. With the amount of shit going on music wise, there is many a time where a channel or two is lost due to sound effects taking priority. Once more, not a complaint, but a suggestion.

Now, before I get blasted for being a spoil sport, an extremist, a heartless wretch, a thoughtless asshole, or eltitst; lemme say one thing; Fuck you.

This thread is almost painful to see. I see people on here praising this hack as if it is the Second Coming of Christ. If anybody treats it any less, said poster is insulted, ridiculed, and/or shamed for not believing so. Guess I'm gonna get that treatment as well, because I have to say, I'm not impressed. Not to say I don't appreciate the effort, or don't see the potential greatness in this hack, but it isn't ready for it.

You know, this thread almost reminds me of that one hack, "Into the Void." It was made by an obvious beginner, and when somebody cough*Clownacy*cough called out any of it's issues that were in fact warranted, these were the responses....

View Postwinterhell, on 14 May 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Clownacy, you are the one who is being rude and whining. Just because the author, got forbid, self-rated their work higher than it actually is, does not mean you should tear their project apart. You could have either pointed out bugs similarly to D.A. Garden's post. Words like "useless", "stupid", "dick-move", and attacking the author directly are frowned upon. That is anything but constructive criticizm.

View PostKnucklez, on 15 May 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Well, that's some immature shit right there. The guy does his best to make a hack and you want to start nitpicking and criticizing as if he was Sonic Team or something.

Trust me I have plenty of creative ideas for hacks and would love to make a hack more than anything, but I have ZERO knowledge of how to even hack.

So don't criticize this guy when he's just trying to learn and do something you yourself haven't got a clue on how to do. Everyone has their own style and their own method of doing things. Unless he was a professional making amateur decisions or mistakes, you need to shut your mouth Clownacy.

People on here need to respect the effort being put forth when obviously no one else on here has even bothered to release any hacks since the last contest.

And I'm seeing the same shit here again.

View PostFelik, on 08 August 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostClownacy, on 08 August 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

I'm not impressed

I'd take this over a great 1-zone hack any day.
Pana and Brother trouble are great but they are demos and never gonna be released as a finished product BECAUSE they are so technically advanced.
This may be sloppy but it has so much effort and soul put in it, I can't help but adore this hack.

P.S. Those crazy frogs are the best new enemies I witnessed in a hack in a long time. Also that running animation, you can't not fall in love with it.

Seriously people? Giving well thought out & well written criticism is bad because it doesn't praise this hack for being "new."

Lemme give you an example. I make some Fried Chicken. I decide I'm gonna season it with a fuckton, or quadruple, the amount of seasonings. Mind you, I didn't change the amount of chicken. So, a fuckton of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper(I actually do this normally on fried chicken anyways. Love it spicy :ssh:/>/>), black pepper. Do any of you think you could eat it? Fuck no, you'd all choke because theirs too much seasoning. And that's what this hack is. It has great ideas, but it's sprinkled too much everywhere. In Act 1 alone, there is at least two new gimmicks that come into play, but they don't enhance the stage all that much. This hack needs to go back into the planning stages and re-evaluated to the core, as there is too much going on, but it isn't cohesive, nor is it all that fun. It felt more like playing a Super Mario World hack than a Sonic hack. The fact that you people are completely okay with accepting mediocrity, is just fucking ridiculous.

View Postiojnekns, on 09 August 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

This is awesome. I'd rather have something rough, ready and released than something that lounges in development hell for 10 years while the creator gets gradually more disinterested in the laborious cycle of bugfixing.

I don't. This hack is in some need of polish, and tlc. This hack has the potential to be better, and I doubt it'd go into Developmental Hell for 10 years. The ideas are there, so maybe a year or so should be good. This hack did not need to be showcased on a "well known" Hacking Showcase and put out there for the public to judge, but since it is, I'm judging it from how I would judge any other hack.

If this entered the Hacking Contest today, and I had to judge it, it wouldn't win anything. I would put it on my watch list for next year, but it wouldn't win anything this year. Regardless of the skill of the hacker, or the length of the developmental time of said hack, once it is placed into public domain, it is open for criticism; Good and/or bad. If any of you think that I won't say something is bad just because old Juan O' Juarez just started hacking, you're all fucking wrong. It isn't me being a prude, it isn't me being mean, it isn't me being an elitist, it is me being truthful and telling it like it is. If we sit here and just praise things and try to minimize the negative, this new generation of hackers will die out pretty quickly, because we aren't challenging them.

To summarize. This hack is ok, it needs lots of work, TLC, and maybe some re-evaluation, but it has potential. I don't think it is ready for public distribution, though I guess it works out in the end because now he can have a wider audience to give opinions. Oh, and that most of the people who've posted in this thread is a bunch pussy ass Politically Correct bitches who can't write a negative criticism because "you don't want to hurt his feelings." You all make me sick.
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 09 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

#20 User is offline Felik 

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostSuper Egg, on 09 August 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

:words:

Are you sure we read the same thread? Because what I see is a thread full of mixed reactions which is justifiable given how much good and bad things this hack has.
I liked it, someone else didn't, it OK, it's called opinions.
I also don't get why did you quote my post. I get why Clownacy doesn't like it and simply responded with why I did like it (well I said "adore" which does not necessarily means "enjoy playing", mind you).
I see how much effort the creator have put into it and I see potential and really want to encourage him/her improve in his/her current and future work.

You're like one of those people on IMDB and other sites with rating system who say "I wish I could give this a negative score because it's so overrated". Which essentially means "my opinion is more important that someone else's so it should have more weigh in score system". And the sad truth is: no it is not. It is as important as the guy's next to you. Stop being so selfimprtant and simply express your opinion without attentionwhoring.

#21 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
>someone posts an opinion
>someone responds with a rant about opinions
This is one of the most annoying things ever. It's like going to a pie eating contest and someone lectures others about healthy eating. We all know what we're doing here, we don't need to be told. Just focus on the subject matter, share your thoughts and respond to others relevantly for the love of god.

Now to avoid irony I'm going to actually address the topic lol.

The hack seems to be efforts spread thin. It's a lot of effort over a wide range. It's commendable for being a start to finish game at least. There's some good ideas, and it seems like the first stage had the most work put into it by far.

#22 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:10 AM

Jesus, why can't people point out the negatives of a hack without this happening? I didn't need to be reminded of that Void nonsense.

Anyway, Felik, this is the same thread where the insult "snooty" is being thrown around. Speaking of...

View PostRitz, on 09 August 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

I don't know when we got so snooty, most of the community has a long way to go to in terms of providing a real world game experience like this hack does.

Are you seriously going to go with the 'you can't criticise a game if you can't make one yourself' argument, on here of all places? SuperEgg's right. This is Into The Void. ...Unless you're making a point about people not at least respecting the amount of work put into the hack, which I can understand.

Speaking of the speaking of, I can appreciate the time and effort, wherever it's been put - after all, I never said I wasn't impressed keepthatharmfulabridgingtoyourselfFelix - I just don't appreciate that it wasn't put into more vital areas. It sucks to see so much go towards so little. When a game's only enjoyable when you're watching someone else play it, something's horribly wrong!

Since I have an excuse to post, here are more points about the hack: It says something when the graphics are louder than the music. Be it saturation or contrast (or even both, in the case of Golden Nature), the levels are a little hard to look at. The hardware incompatibility I came across had to do with that weird, hopping lizard thing. Object 1F, if the RAM is anything to go by. Probably word/longword-sized SSTs on odd addresses.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 10 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

#23 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66
Well, well... There's some deep shit said in this topic but I'll nothing but about the hack itself. I think that the effort is valid more than the hack's playability actually, since this hack is still in a slow and patient development process. One of my friends tried to run the hack in the real hardware but it resulted in a giant number of crashes everywhere. It's because this hack is not optimized for the real hardware yet. We're working to fix everything, all accord the feedback given. And before someone asks me... No, I'm not the author of this hack. I'm sure that major of the people here already know Abyssal Leopard but have no idea of this. Anyway, it's time for me to give my feedback (not about the other people's feedback, but about the hack itself).

Art: I love this hack's art. It's obvious that some of the art needs to be retouched here and there. But it's quite brilliant the way they are being made. Most of them (practically them all, except for foreground related chunks) are being hand-draw'd before going up into the pixel-art. The team is doing the maximum to make the game stable and nice for everyone. So art is something we're working most.

Badniks and mechanics: Some of them were invented... *cough* *cough* by *cough*... me. For the ones who don't believe, click the links below and see by themselves.
https://www.facebook...?type=3

Does this one here sounds familiar?
www.harderproject.com/area51/menu_mobius-characterselection.jpg

Music: Well... The music are all made by me. What I mean is that the feedback about music can be given to me directly.

In general, most of the purpose of the vĂ­deo showcase are to show you guys what we want to the game. All the feedback are freely acceptable and welcome. Just take care of what to say, because there's a daily effort being applied. We want the best game ever for you, folks. Thanks to everyone, but plese, take in mind that the hack will be still heavily changed/fixed. This is only the start.
This post has been edited by Eduardo Knuckles: 10 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

#24 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

• It's Saturday TV Toons!! (90's Style)
  • Wiki edits:16
It's unfair to judge any project based on the downfall of one aspect, likewise, it isn't justified to praise a project for only its positive aspects...

The concepts for these stages are brilliant, and the ideas thrown in are fantastic, very unique I would say. A coffin that collects and drops you into the ground? Never, would such an idea be put into practice in a Sonic hack, I praise the bosses for their uniqueness too. Speaking of bosses and gimmicks, the programmer(s) of this project seem to be doing well, it is rather mediocre at times, but it's a great starting point, and I feel they are on their way to becoming professional game programmer(s) in general. As programming is suggested to have a learning curve, I'd say they were at the mid-point of that curve, heading towards the quickest part, so that may be a good sign folks.

Artwork I am semi-pleased about. I really do appreciate the new background designs, it's not very often we see new artwork in the scene, I've been around for about nearly 9 years, and artwork is ALWAYS lacking. Most people just port levels from another game, put a stamp on it, and say; "fuck it, that'll do", so it's nice to see these new backgrounds and the fact that they are identifiable too is a bonus (you can tell what they're supposed to be). Having said that, they could have been detailed better, some pixel techniques could be used, or a smoother grade selection of the colours. The foreground I would suggest the same in terms of detail, but I would also add that it would be nice to have the levels differentiate from their original counterparts (Example, Creepy Crypt Zone still looks like Marble Zone despite having a wonderful palette and nice background. Actually, this is the best looking Zone in my opinion, a very nice design indeed).

My opinion for the music is less pleasing though, I find the lack of unique instruments leads to a boring piece of music, though the fact that I've experienced this same issue with other projects, tells me that there's a central source that's the cause of it all. Some tool perhaps? A download site? I honestly don't know, but it's plaguing everyone's music damn it! (Nobody misunderstand, I don't hate these instruments, I just dislike the overuse). The music in general is OK, I recognise some interesting remakes, and they do seem fine. I wouldn't say that many of them fit the "theme" of the levels they intend to fit, but I've heard worse by many before hand. There is still plenty of room for improvement though and that is not an understatement.

When it comes to level layout design, let me be blunt, it is extremely poor in places. The first level especially, when people say there are too many springs they mean it. There's little to no flow, and you have sections of the level where it's hold right to win, followed by a series of heavy difficulty full of dick moves. I've got nothing more to say on layouts...

The hack is mediocre, but it has form and direction, and of course, I recognise a few names in the credits, and those guys have improved a lot since. It is therefore my opinion that it may take a long time, but they will get better, and if they intend on continuing the hack passed this release, the hack will be subjected to some immense changes that will eventually rid it of the downfalls, and expand into advanced territories.

Guys, if you are reading this, then good luck to you all~

#25 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16

View PostMr Lange, on 10 August 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

This is one of the most annoying things ever. It's like going to a pie eating contest and someone lectures others about healthy eating. We all know what we're doing here, we don't need to be told. Just focus on the subject matter, share your thoughts and respond to others relevantly for the love of god.

Thank you... Srsly I'd taken some time off Retro cuz I got sick of seeing shit like what you just described... maybe I should stay away for longer.

Anyway, this hack shows promise... but (*gasp*) it still needs a lot of work... that said, my criticisms and suggestions are being brought to the hacker himself as I'm not submitting myself to the immaturity of (some of the people in) this group. Just quit shitting in the punch bowl and keep an eye out for this hack in the future... I personally believe great things are coming with this one in due course.

#26 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostKingofHarts, on 11 August 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Thank you... Srsly I'd taken some time off Retro cuz I got sick of seeing shit like what you just described... maybe I should stay away for longer.

Hey, I went for four years and it didn't do any good. :v:

#27 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Is there a term for music where there isn't really much of a structure or melody, because there's a lot of that in the Sonic fan community these days. This is just noise to me - it's not like, say, Sonic 2 where you can go away humming all the tunes when you're done.

Except the Sonic 2 Game Gear tracks. Though whether they'll ever transfer over to the Mega Drive well is yet to be seen.

That end of act jingle in particular rubbed me up the wrong way. It's annoying for reasons I honestly can't describe.

The art does get progressively worse over time, but it doesn't start off horrendously bad. The first thing to do would be to sort out those light sources - all the new art has the "sun" in the top right, whereas Green Hill Zone acted as if it were in the top left. And then there's the parallax, and then there's "BLUE ZONE 1" replacing Labyrinth and "BLUE ZONE 2" replacing Marble. Lots could be fixed with palette changes tbh.

Gameplay wise I can't really comment, but from what I've seen there's a lot of backwards-forwards-backwards-forwards motion across the level and that can really drain on you after a while in a Sonic 1 hack.

It's a good start but it definitely needs work.

#28 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I gave the game a shot. It's mean. Dick Robotnik monitor placements, that platform in the first act of the second level that goes up into spikes instead of down like you would think, springs that lead directly into pits, that far too precise first boss. I mean I commend you on the originality and difficulty is good, but don't make it like rage bullshit difficulty. :colbert:

#29 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66
Sorry for the very large post, but I felt it's time to talk about the feedback given. So...

View PostFelik, on 08 August 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Why on Earth are we not discussing this?????

Download

Edit: Thanks DigitalDuck

Hm... Heheh!

View PostDigitalDuck, on 08 August 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

I saw this video uploaded and wondered why there wasn't a topic.

It looks like an incredibly well-done hack.
Hm... It's still not exactly well nor done at all, but thanks for consider the project. It's a team-based project which is being worked everyday for us to provide a nice product in the end.

Ugh, I don't know, this seems sloppy.

You have your hardware incompatibility, springs galore, certain design choices that'll make you really regret getting Super Sonic. Add to that some poorly executed bosses, rampant Eggman monitors, and an unhealthy amount of bugs and oversights, and this just becomes uncomfortable. Also, I'm glitching through the level way more than I should be, and I'm pretty sure the last boss I fought killed me after I defeated it. No thanks, I'd rather experiment with something else. I am not sitting though another game over just to see another zone of this.
We understand your experienced viewpointed of the game by pointing every little piece of the problems at all, but we running through all the problems to fix everything for make the game to be nice in the end. Thanks for pointing your opinion the way you did. The more specific the people be, the better will be for us to find the problems and to fix them.

"Uncharted Tide Act 3 is absolutely awful. First, it's stupid that you're forced to stay only a few steps ahead of the boss, due to the fixed scrolling of the level. The fact that you're meant to endure two whole minutes of this without a checkpoint is especially appalling. Second, you can't even fight the boss until you reach the arena at the end. Why? The boss doesn't have any extra shielding for the chase segment. Third, after two minutes of incredibly slow and tedious gameplay, you get into a fight where the boss gets painfully drawn-out segments of invincibility. Finally, look at the graphics used for that boss. I mean, FUCK. That hastily-upscaled Chopper is ugly as sin."

I'm with this guy. Really, I get that hacks don't have to feel authentic, but there's a point where bosses become anti-Sonic, and just don't work in a hack.
Yeah, we will look through the concept of this boss to rework it according something more Sonic-ish. It's a very good point, though we're already looking up into it to make it better and decent.

View PostDalekSam, on 08 August 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Is nobody else going to question the Metallica M in Mobius or am I going insane
Hahahahahaha, dear Dalek. You're not going insane. This is true!

View PostFelik, on 08 August 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'd take this over a great 1-zone hack any day.
Pana and Brother trouble are great but they are demos and never gonna be released as a finished product BECAUSE they are so technically advanced.
This may be sloppy but it has so much effort and soul put in it, I can't help but adore this hack.

P.S. Those crazy frogs are the best new enemies I witnessed in a hack in a long time. Also that running animation, you can't not fall in love with it.
Crazy frogs? You mean the first level's chameleons? Hehe.

View PostClownacy, on 08 August 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Well, now you're just going into quality vs quantity. I'm not looking for technically advanced-ness in hacks, I'm looking for playability.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed since the start that this was what you meant with your post.

View PostPhase, on 08 August 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

I think the colors are a bit weird. The first stage has that light-brown background with the green grass, it just doesn't go together. The other stages have similar backgrounds as their foregrounds, so it's harder to differentiate the two. It'd be a lot better if the background was a cold color and the foreground was a warm color, like the blues and greens in Sonic 1's first stage.

Posted Image

You can immediately tell what the background is and what the foreground is.
Yeah. This is one of the first things we're currently fixing. Art contrast, brightness and definitions of what are what is something important and it's better when it's well-applied. Thanks a lot for clear us this.

View PostChaud, on 09 August 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

• Some good art here and there (like the first level), but some bad art coming in the package (Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • There are beautiful levels in there, but also, one of the most horrendous creations ever seen in a hack - the "lights" of Neon Star, what the hell was that, dear god.
  • Some interesting bosses (I love the concept of the first boss), but others extremely underwhelming (again, Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • The levels appear to have multiple paths and are even somewhat lengthy, but... Springs. Springs everywhere. Too much of Dimps in there?

It'd be nice if you be specific about the third thing. Giving details about how to improve the bosses and such. The springs thing is also one of the things we're fixing too.

View Postiojnekns, on 09 August 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

This is awesome. I'd rather have something rough, ready and released than something that lounges in development hell for 10 years while the creator gets gradually more disinterested in the laborious cycle of bugfixing.
Thanks a lot. But you have to also consider the fact that we wanted to release a version for get the people's feedback for eactly to fix everything according them. This release of the hack is very far of what it's supposed be in its final product.

View PostDark Sonic, on 09 August 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Well isn't this something. I'll be testing this on my Genesis later for sure.
You should do this when the final release become true. This current release isn't yet optimized for the real hardware. We're looking hardly to fix the compatibility of every piece of the stuff. But major of them are in need of to be redone, so we will do it with patience.

View PostHerm the Germ, on 09 August 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

I at least appreciate the love Sonic Chaos' soundtrack is getting from this, so, there's that. :B Doesn't look like something I'd actually wanna play, though...
I'm also changing the songs. It's nice to see you liked my choices, anyway. Thanks a lot!

View PostCandescence, on 09 August 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

Well, more Blaze is something I'm keen on, so I might check it out.
That's the point, dude. Go for it!

View PostCinossu, on 09 August 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

There is a lot to be impressed about with this hack; We have overhauled levels, even though it's obvious what levels are based on what. We have new gimmicks in these levels instead of just the same ones again and again. We have new badniks or modifications of existing ones to make them something new. We have new bosses that look like they'd offer a challenge (the later ones, anyway). We have completely new sprites and ideas for moves - changing palette to show spindash charge, a new faster run animation that isn't just the same old peelout, an end pose that isn't just the Sonic CD sprite. We have a new character added that isn't just the normal Tails, Knuckles, etc. import or just a slight palette swap. We have a last level that takes gimmicks from the entire game and puts them to use one final time, to make use of your learning experience through the game itself.
Wow, I'm very happy by see such nice comment given by such great romhacker. It's nice to see that you consider the new stuff as a good thing for the hack. This is the kind of comment which makes us to feel that our effort on the project is being valid.

Yes, it's rough around the edges. Yes, it could do with a lot of little things neatening it up. Yes, it's not perfect. But don't go criticising it because it isn't immediately perfect on showing it. Constructive criticism, guys. For example, a lot of the new gimmicks are very jumpy in their movement and use of sprites, especially when it comes to changing the player's position and making the camera jump. You should look into making the transitions between states with use of them smoother, if only to make them seem less jarring to use.
Yeah, that was only a proto release. We're putting a lot of effort to make the nice game ever for the community to enjoy.

This hack looks great, and it has the potential to be one of the more memorable ones. Once you have everything in that you want start looking at neatening things up, rounding the square corners and such, and it could be amazing.
Thanks again. And thanks a lot. We really hope to make a memorable in the end. Thanks for appreciate how the development is going and to really to point our stuff as nice.

View PostSparks, on 09 August 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

I think the problem with this hack is simply it lacks polish. The foundation is already laid out, and I would love to see them go through the game with proper feedback and improve the game.

I think my main issue is, as said, the heavy reliance on springboards to move the player around the stage (dear God, why??). Some of the stages also lack a good contrast between the foreground and background in terms of palette (mainly Uncharted Tide and Egg Hell).
Like said before... It's true the hack needs polish. The spring-to-spring thing is really one of the things we're dedicating most to fix. The level contrasts are also being fixed. Thanks for also to point these.

View PostMarkeyJester, on 09 August 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

I would like to go on record and state; the reason is because I have to work for a living (as in physically, and not behind some desk sneaking onto IRC, like most others), the "technical" aspect (even though the hacks you refer to are more "polished" than "technical") is irrelevant, and is not the reason for their incompletion. I believe Clownacy was in fact talking about the "polished" aspected ironically enough.
He realy was. And we're running to fix everything.

View PostKnucklez, on 15 May 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Well, that's some immature shit right there. The guy does his best to make a hack and you want to start nitpicking and criticizing as if he was Sonic Team or something.

Trust me I have plenty of creative ideas for hacks and would love to make a hack more than anything, but I have ZERO knowledge of how to even hack.

So don't criticize this guy when he's just trying to learn and do something you yourself haven't got a clue on how to do. Everyone has their own style and their own method of doing things. Unless he was a professional making amateur decisions or mistakes, you need to shut your mouth Clownacy.

People on here need to respect the effort being put forth when obviously no one else on here has even bothered to release any hacks since the last contest.
We understand every viewpoint and such and we're really not Sonic Team. We're working to make the best for you guys. But we have to understand the people's points too. If Clownacy wasn't the experienced romhacker he is, I should say that he could be wrong. But he is really correct about everything he said. He just gave his viewpoint about the game. We also don't need to be rude to him. Thanks for understand our willpower, anyway.

View PostMr Lange, on 10 August 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

Now to avoid irony I'm going to actually address the topic lol.

The hack seems to be efforts spread thin. It's a lot of effort over a wide range. It's commendable for being a start to finish game at least. There's some good ideas, and it seems like the first stage had the most work put into it by far.
I really don't want to talk about other people's opinion about other people's opinion about a thing. But I really appreciate the importance you gave to the team effort in the game.

View PostKingofHarts, on 11 August 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Anyway, this hack shows promise... but (*gasp*) it still needs a lot of work... that said, my criticisms and suggestions are being brought to the hacker himself as I'm not submitting myself to the immaturity of (some of the people in) this group. Just quit shitting in the punch bowl and keep an eye out for this hack in the future... I personally believe great things are coming with this one in due course.
Thanks a lot. We really hope to release a nice game soon. We're fixing the stuff. Anyway, feedback is important and we need the people to be specific about even the minimal details for us to fix them to provide something nice into the next release.

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 11 August 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

It's a good start but it definitely needs work.
It's true.

View PostDark Sonic, on 11 August 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

I gave the game a shot. It's mean. Dick Robotnik monitor placements, that platform in the first act of the second level that goes up into spikes instead of down like you would think, springs that lead directly into pits, that far too precise first boss. I mean I commend you on the originality and difficulty is good, but don't make it like rage bullshit difficulty. :colbert:/>/>
These are being hardly searched to be fixed. Thanks a lot for point these.

#30 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostClownacy, on 10 August 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Are you seriously going to go with the 'you can't criticise a game if you can't make one yourself' argument, on here of all places? SuperEgg's right. This is Into The Void. ...Unless you're making a point about people not at least respecting the amount of work put into the hack, which I can understand.

The latter. Completing a project is a skill. I'm astonished no one's discussing (or denying) that this is the first hack to provide a fresh experience from start to finish. That's an important milestone!

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users