Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Bunnie In Sonic 1 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Bunnie In Sonic 1 'Evil as a one eyed snake, sugar.'

#16 User is offline Lopson 

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

I haven't played through the entire game on my physical Mega Drive, but so far I've seen a couple of things besides the already mentioned momentum and jet boots issues:

• Punches go over the mechanical, purple worms;
  • In Marble Zone 3, there's an area where you have to roll as Sonic to break some green blocks, since you have no room to jump. Seeing as Bunnie can only create hitboxes below her with her downward jump attack, she can't get through this area;
  • If I spam the attack button, it won't draw Bunnie's extended arm sometimes;
  • "Bunnie got them al" -> "Bunnie got'em all" in the special stage score screen?
  • Why no upward attack?

Guess that's all I got for now!

EDIT: I've just finished the game. The demo sequence in the credits that takes place in Scrap Brain 2 is broken. That's the only extra nitpick I can come up with.
This post has been edited by Lopson: 14 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

#17 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
http://info.sonicret...ic_the_Hedgehog

Added it to the wiki.

#18 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

• Wiki edits:41

View PostMathUser, on 15 July 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Yay. Thanx very much. :D

#19 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
So, does this mean you are also working on Antoine and walrus in sonic 1 hacks? How about uncle chuck in sonic 1?

#20 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

View PostMathUser, on 31 July 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

So, does this mean you are also working on Antoine and walrus in sonic 1 hacks? How about uncle chuck in sonic 1?

I might consider a gag hack for Antoine at some point. Rotor I'm not sure about. He seems kinda redundant. His key abilities are tinkering (Sally/NICOLE), swimming (Tails) and strength (Knuckles). And I'm sure anyone could easily draw a moustache onto Sonic's sprites. :P
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 01 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

#21 User is offline Twinbee MkII 

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

• Uber Snuzzlemuffins
Psi, looks like another amazing release. Your character hacks are some of my favorite releases here, because of the polish you put into them. You also handle characters from outside the games, something a lot of hackers don't. So here's to hoping for many more fun hacks from you in the future. (Psst. Maybe give Scourge the Hedgehog a try sometime? Just an idea :thumbsup: )
This post has been edited by Twinbee MkII: 05 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

#22 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
Ok, some thoughts after playing for a bit.

Bunnie feels too weak. It feels I'm playing with Sally instead, just reskinned.

1. In her spindash move, why is she vulnerable? I can get it with other characters, but with Bunnie I'd just expect her to be fist-ready to punch anything in her way. Maye have her stop on contact with any badnik or something

2. Is there a reason why she can't punch upwards?

3. She should have Mario-like rules of jumping. She's got big bulky robot legs, why isn't the Motobug destroyed when I jump on it provided I'm hitting it from above?

4. Finally, the fist's hitbox really needs to be a bit bigger. Right now I just miss anything since the stages aren't designed to have you have a small punch shoot, all the bumps and hills just make you constantly miss the target.

I don't know how hard some of these would be to program, but I really do think she needs a bit of a buff right now. Otherwise, fun as always, good spriting, etc.

#23 User is offline HDL 

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

• Project:Sonic Classic Heroes
There is a lot of cool speed tech with Bunnie. I've been routing the game.

Edit: I got a decent run here that showcases a lot of the strats Bunnie can utilize: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/696516
This post has been edited by HDL: 25 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

#24 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
After watching HDL discover on stream that Bunnie could use her rocket boots to do stair clip on SBZ3, I just had to do this tool assisted take on the level:

Bunnie, the speed queen of Sonic 1 :v:/>

Edit: I decided to make the full TAS:

Not perfectly optimized; nevertheless, she came out faster than heavily optimized Tails and Knuckles (in their respective hacks).
This post has been edited by flamewing: 22 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

#25 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

Is that actual speed? o.o

Added Contest build to the wiki:

* Bunnie can now punch upwards and while ducking (as a minor setback, I could only get her on foot punches to work while standing perfectly still, though obviously the instant duck pause means it's only really a problem for upwards punching, in air upwards works fine though).
* Rev 1 graphics added.
* Multiple pallette fixes.
* Bunnie can now use her arm to activate switches.
* A couple minor glitches (like the move flags not reactivating when a level restarts) fixed.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 19 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

#26 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
Time to update the TAS then.

By the way, did you fix the crash when collecting rings that HDL bumped into?

#27 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

The what now?....

He listed me a few of them, but some are so intricate I don't know what's causing them (eg. the occasion crash glitch in GHZ2).
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 19 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

#28 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

• Emerald Hunter
Lucky for you, I know exactly what is going on in all of them :v:

The GHZ2 crash is actually a couple of bugs in the ring collection; basically, by timing your punch and movement correctly, you can either:
  • collect a ring twice on the same frame by collecting once with Bunnie's body and once and then collect it again with her punch;
  • collect a ring once in a frame with the punch, then collect it again on the next frame with her body.

In either case this double-increment will end up in an invalid routine for the ring. A fix for this is to add checks in two places to see if the ring is already being collected: one in Bunnie's code, and one in the punch code. Then again, these two may be the same in the hack, I don't know. Hit me up on PM or IRC and I can explain stuff better.

Can you remind me of what were the other bugs again?

#29 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Here's my try for Bunnie in Sonic 1!

#30 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:23 PM

Not a bad play through, glad you like it. One thing though, you don't need to hover first to use the downward punch in air (there's an upward one too).

The sprites are indeed mine. I actually started work on them around the same time as the Sally ones years ago.

Bah, I never realised how glitch ridden this was. I've tested this over and over and yet so many people can't play it without crashing the game or losing from thin air.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 20 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users