don't click here

SONIC INFINITY

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by P3DR0, Jun 7, 2015.

1. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    [​IMG]
    Finally! The Sonic OVA fan-game I've been telling you about in the last 5 years or so...

[​IMG]

SONIC INFINITY, unlike most fangames, takes place in the universe of the beloved SONIC THE MOVIE or SONIC OVA.
    Our main goal with the fan-game back when we started working on this in 2010, by the awful name Sonic Henceforth, was to deliver a very refreshing and different take on the series. It's a "reboot" but not a reboot at the same time, that's why we decided on that name as a way of saying "from now on, this is Sonic the Hedgehog". After that we changed the name to "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG", after all it was meant to be a reboot, right? Well, a little bit later after that we started working with 3D engines due to the pre-rendered sprites and objects that were taking a shitload of memory in MMF2 which wasn't as powerful at the time. Eventually working with 3D felt more like a chore than an actual hobby, we're uninspired and bored to tears. I guess that's what happens when a very small team decides to work on such an ambitious project on more difficult softwares. Then, at the beginning of this year I started making some pixel art just to pass some time and I found great joy while doing this. Eventually, I downloaded Sonic Worlds and started messing around with it and I felt this nostalgia running through my veins. I was having fun once again and I remembered why I felt in love with making fangames in the first place. And this is where we find ourselves at last.

[​IMG]

We pick-up a few months after we left off with the events of SONIC OVA;
    Dr. Robotnik is nowhere to be found and peace has finally been established in Planet Freedom. Or so we think. We're presented to our heroes in their home at South Island getting prepared for a session of training. Both Sonic and Tails didn't believe that peace would last long and they took upon themselves to be prepared for when Robotnik would show up with his latest plan. With a handful of badniks they stole from the Dark Lands they've been training hard for the last three months. Sonic is getting quicker with better reflexes and Tails each day is getting more experienced as a mechanic, fixing the badniks that Sonic would destroy in every training session. And this is where our story starts.

Tails is at the workshop finishing up the last few badniks and Sonic is bored skipping stones at water when they spot a falling aircraft that falls on jungle area of the South Island. Sonic and Tails get to the location of the fallen aircraft only to find out Old Man Owl, half burried in the sand with a letter on his hand addressed to Sonic and Tails. Upon picking up the letter, they quickly realize it's not a letter from the president, but from Robotnik himself. The letter states that Robotnik has kidnaped Sonic's biggest fan in the world and if he wishes to save her, his is needed in the Dark Lands to perform a small favor in return for her. The heroes don't even stop to think about it and run back to the workshop to hop on the Tornado, leaving Old Man Owl behind.

Upon arriving at the coordinates that Robotnik has given them they find themselves in a very strange place, the ruins of a very old laboratory in the outskirts of Robotropolis in the destroyed city. Upon meeting with the Doctor they demand him to release the girl which he says he'll do once Sonic retrieves an item for him. Robotnik explains to them that Planet Freedom is filled with WARP ZONES, some of those zones just work as shortcuts similar to the ones they took to get to the Dark Lands, but others can lead to other times and even other dimensions and those are hidden and inaccessible. For that reason he has created a machine called a WARP GATE that forces those hidden ones to open for a short period of time. The problem is that while conducting his experiments, Robotnik lost a very important item inside the warp and he fears his machine can't hold the rift open for a very long time so he requires Sonic to get in and retrieve the item. Sonic agrees to help out and he enters the WARP, and this is where it begins...

I really do feel like we have a very amazing story on our hands and I've already told more than I should've...

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuSVbs-t78U

[​IMG]

There isn't much to show yet...

[​IMG]

We're looking for talented people to help us out. If you watched the video above you know that a lot of sprites are either missing or lacking detail. We have no music and I'd also love the help from good programmers with MMF2/CF 2.5. The project is in it's early days and having help is probably what will allow this to be finished. This is a big and a very ambitious idea even if being quite simple in execution.

The project is fully documented and being made in a great engine developed by Felik (if you played his games you know he's awesome) and the biggest reason to why I'm creating a thread for the game in such an early state is so I can get help from the community.

If you are interested, hit me with a PM or add me on Skype and let's have a chat.

[​IMG]

2. Pulse0

Pulse0

NYC (Currently)
    Sonic Neo Genesis
    This looks SWEET.
    I love to help but I'm working with Felik another game at the moment, but WOW! (I believe this is the first fan game I've ever said wow to.)
    It really encourages me to "step up my game". This looks like its the best sprite driven sonic fan game to date.
    So full of life and color.

Question(s): is this taking place before the second or first OVA?
    Can you share and more information? Like how many zones and what are the features that you aim have - back of the box stuff, since its full documented you should have more to tell.
    Lastly, whats the current team? if any...

I'm really looking forward to this one. :D

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Looking spiffy as hell. Wasn't this a 3D game at some point?

But anyway, I look forward to seeing more of this.

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you liked it.

The game takes place after the second half of the OVA (always forget they're separate into 2), after Hyper Metal Sonic is defeated and the day is saved.
    I do have a lot more to tell, but nothing that won't feel like empty promises at this point, though. Mostly because the project is in a very early point in development and I don't want to have another wall of text saying that the game will feature X or Y when I can't show nothing.

However I can tell you this much: The project will feature a gameplay element that will hopefully change the way you play Sonic games. No promises, however since we don't know how well it will work, but so far, things are looking promising on that. About how many zones we've planned, I can't think of the top of my head an actual number, mostly because we have some surprises in store. I'm not at home at the moment and it's been a while since I last worked on the documentation, but I'll be sure to check it out once I'm at home.

Yes, it used to be. I've made a short version of the game's development history in the main post to why we went 3D and why we came back to 2D. Check that out.

5. thevaleev

thevaleev

Russia
    Sonic Game Land
    I'm definitely interested in this project. The game about most famous Sonic cartoon - what could be better?
    Will this game have characters (playable, please) from original movie as well?

6. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I really like Sonic OVA and man everything looks beautiful. That music, that logo, that palette, that story... everything! Well, a custom Sonic sprite look nicer but still looks good.Also, will Metal Sonic appear? I would like to see him.

Oh, and I would help you with programming, but I don't use MMF. :v: I prefer Game Maker.
    And no Sara pls.

7. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Well, for the time being only Sonic is playable. If I were to include aditional characters, it would be in some sort of "Arcade" option (the game without story).

Much appreaciated, Mors. Metal Sonic? Hmmm, maybe? Who knows... Well, I do. lmao, sorry.
    Also, crap. Hahah, from the stuff I saw with Mario Flashback, I'd fucking love to have you as a programmer in the team.
    That's okay, though. Thank you for the interest.

8. Retroman

Retroman

I discovered a bug.

In the teaser, with crabmeat, the firing animation sprite switches to the one from Sonic Advance.

9. Nova

Nova

Just wanted to chime in and say while I don't usually keep too much of an eye on fangames these days, this looks absolutely beautiful. That animated waterfall background is just sublime. Fantastic work!

10. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Sub·lime

"of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe."

Well said, Nova.

While a lot of fan games are remarkable, I often find they lack the classic sonic character, graphically speaking. To me this is crucial for a great Sonic game. You've nailed the aesthetic and, dare I say, taken it further than I thought possible for a classic style game outside the genesis era.

It's original... Its's genius... a masterpiece!

11. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Thank y'all for such kind words. I'm really glad by the reception you guys gave to this project.

Please bear with me because a lot of things aren't finished yet, like the dust effects with the spindash and some other special effects. We're working on a very nice custom sprite for Sonic based on the OVA's design and the level design is just something I threw in very quickly just to have something to show.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Yes, that happens because in the original engine the crabmeats sprites were advance ones and I just quickly swapped 'em with their classic counterparts, however it seems I've forgot to change the animation for them shooting. My bad. However, even these badniks sprites are temporary. We actually planned some very cool and original badniks for this stage. Let's just say it fits the area they're in.

Sorry for the slow week, though. Haven't got much progress done, I'm currently on the process of moving out and things for some reason take a shitload of time. Like the other day I went looking for a table for my computer and it took me almost 3 fucking hours (ended up buying some cheap wood planks that were in a scrap box for 5 BR bucks, a bargain! Now all it needs is to be built).

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Very clean level design.

13. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

14. chaoscollector

chaoscollector

An OVA fan game is real interesting for sure! It's a shame, I'd really love to help with the art but I suck at sprite works! Anyway it's looking real nice graphically though and I can't wait to eventually give this a go!
    Best of luck man!

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I always thought it was a shame the OVA universe was never really revisited outside of a slight nod in the Archie Comics. Love what I'm seeing so far!

But now to address the question we all have...

Will Knuckles have bought a new hat?

[​IMG]

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    omg omg omg omg can I do the music please please please can I
    Serious post: This looks amazing and I seriously would be honored to get to help out.

17. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Yeaaaah, I remember that post. Sorry I haven't fixed it. The title screen is just something I threw in very quickly just for the sake of presentation and I didn't got to fix that sprite. Not even sure if I'm going to use that Sonic sprite tbh.
    Danke, man! Hit me up with a PM with some of your art, I'd love to see it.

No. After the events of OVA, Knuckles decided lifting some weight after seeing some inspirational posts on the internet. Now he uses sports tape and say things like "U mirin brah?", "Do you even lift?" and so on.
    Yes.

Sure thing, S0LV0, hit me with a PM and some of your work. I'd be glad to hear it!

Sorry for the lack of updates and responses lately. I've effectively moven out and have no internet connection.

18. Wow this really looks fantastic! Can't wait until the demo comes out!

19. Gistix

Gistix

Fantastique, although I have to ask, are you planning to bring back his abilities from Henceforth? because normally when a game uses the Genesis style Sonic only have available his Jump and Spin Dash attacks.