Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega PC Reloaded - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sega PC Reloaded Four old games, working still/again

#76 User is offline Catalyst 

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

cool project!
This post has been edited by djcouchycouch: 28 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

#77 User is offline ryouga 

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

I too would love a Sonic R fix, I own a UK rerelease disc but never got sound working on it but it ran.

Sonic 3D I am happy with though but need to find my cd somewhere as Saturn emulation is still iffy at best

#78 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

I love this tool. It makes the experience so much smoother for these games.

Anyway, some S&KC bug reports:

Palette blending causes graphical issues in the special stages and Blue Sphere:
Posted Image

For some reason, if you have Halftone stretching enabled, the effect gets temporarily turned off during the introductory cutscene in Sonic's story when Sonic is offscreen.

Not a biggie, but if using this along with angryzor's HD audio hack, I get the following error message upon closing the game:
Posted Image

Btw, would it be possible to fix the poor animation in the special stages? This issue is unrelated to this utility, but compared to the Genesis version, the movement of the checkered pattern in the floor is jerky and out of sync with the objects. Another detail is that while the Genesis version uses actual transparency for the characters' shadows (taking advantage of the console's shadow/highlight feature), S&KC uses dithering for pseudo-transparency, which doesn't look nearly as good.

Also, the feature to remap the debug mode keys would be nice.

I would love to see the special stages issues fixed, as unlike the Genesis version, this port supports custom music (via the aforementioned hack), making it possible to play S3&K with a remastered soundtrack =D
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 08 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

#79 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The Special Stage animation desync has really bothered me as well. I would love to fix it with the mod loader, but there's barely any documentation on the Special Stage in the MD version, let alone the PC version where there's barely any documentation at all. I'm not even sure what the problem actually is. As for the palette blending, the floor animation is a palette effect, so the only fix would be to disable the blending during Special Stages. The dithered shadows are most likely because they didn't implement shadow/highlight mode in their simulated VDP. It might be possible to darken the area by editing the drawing functions themselves, but we don't really know how they work.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 08 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

#80 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

Just a guess, but perhaps the animation could be fixed by changing how often the floor palette gets updated? The fact that the floor animation is jerkier than in the Genesis version leads me to believe that the desyncing may merely be a result of the palette not updating at a high enough framerate, making it look like the floor animation is skipping frames. Since everything else is getting updated at the same speed as in the console version, it results in frames in which the objects' sprites aren't perfectly lined up with the floor's tile pattern.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 09 August 2017 - 02:43 AM

#81 User is offline MegaSuperab 

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

Do you need a game's disc to install/play it?

Edit: Ok, I guess that's a yes.
This post has been edited by MegaSuperab: 13 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

#82 User is offline Vinnie 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

• Wiki edits:2
I appreciate that this is an old thread but just wanted to say thank you for creating this very useful tool. I mainly loaded up S3&K again to try it out with different MIDI Sounfonts & this tool is a necessity on newer Windows OS's.

#83 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Ironically, S&KC is the one game where Sega PC Reloaded is not actually necessary to play the game, though it does help.

#84 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostMainMemory, on 27 February 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Ironically, S&KC is the one game where Sega PC Reloaded is not actually necessary to play the game, though it does help.

Y'know, I just tried this with my XPLOSIV disc on my Win 10 laptop.

Runs at fast-forward in windowed mode and has no controller support. BUT, a JoyToKey profile later (and playing in fullscreen) and it's all bliss.

#85 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

The framerate problem can be fixed even in windowed mode by simply turning on frame dropping in the game's INI file.

#86 User is offline Vinnie 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

View PostMainMemory, on 27 February 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

It refused to run in full screen mode for me without it.

#87 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Right, that is a genuine problem with the game on newer systems. I wonder if I could somehow fix that with the mod loader.

#88 User is offline Vinnie 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

No big deal if not, but has anyone managed to get Sonic 3D working on Windows 10? I figured that I'd give it a go since trying the Sonic PC Reloaded too.

I'm getting this error when starting it up:

Posted Image

Yes, very descriptive.

Has anyone else come across this or know of any workarounds? As I said it's no big deal but it would be convenient to play this on PC without using the Saturn every time or resorting to the IMO inferior Megadrive version or it's emulated counterpart on Steam.

#89 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Um, yeah, I can play S3D just fine on Win10. No idea what that's about.

#90 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostMainMemory, on 01 March 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Um, yeah, I can play S3D just fine on Win10. No idea what that's about.

Again backing up this person; and yet again I was able install from an XPLOSIV re-release version (I picked up these two some months ago, literally just to wait for patches or whatever, unaware this topic existed).

On my Win 10 laptop, no controller support (JoyToKey works around this) and the opening FMV plays at a super-small size. But other than this, it all works. Even tested the special stage.

Now. I should stop fucking around with bare installs (more than anything, I doubt my luck will hold out for that original-release Sonic CD I have lying around...) and try out this Sega PC Reloaded thing... ;)/>
This post has been edited by Jayextee: 01 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

• 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users