Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Big's Fishing Derby - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Big's Fishing Derby (ビッグの 釣りダービー) Now on revision $21a.

#16 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Posted Image

I would've gotten under 5 minutes if it wasn't for that pesky Angel Island Zone!

Also, have a bug:

#17 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Just saw the showcase video. This hack looks awesome. Great work on the hack!

Edit: Is someone gonna add this to the wiki? Pretty sure it qualifies as noteworthy.
This post has been edited by MathUser: 21 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

#18 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostMathUser, on 21 February 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

Edit: Is someone gonna add this to the wiki? Pretty sure it qualifies as noteworthy.

If someone does, I can edit it later with lots of information. But I have to ask — is it safe to add new pages to the wiki in its current state?

#19 User is offline Shalpp 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

• WHAT A HIT -- HE'LL REMEMBER THAT NUMBER
  • Project:some sonic cd video for a channel that's not gonna kick off lmfao

View Postflamewing, on 18 February 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostShalpp, on 17 February 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

Great hack, only thing I have to say about it is the frequency of the noise channel is lower than it should sound in all of the tracks.

Can you tell me if this build fixes this? You can force a track to be played by holding A or B when changing to a different level. I think I know what caused what you described, but as far as listening goes, I have no idea what I am looking for to see if it was fixed or not. This should also fix some issues with S1 and S2 songs which happened because I grabbed the SCH versions instead of the raw SMPS2ASM versions.

It did indeed fix it. What you listen for is the hi hats that play out of the noise channel. In the previous build in some tracks they sounded less like hats and just more like noise..clicks (no idea what the terminology for that is) There are a few hacks with what I'm guessing is a different sound engine that causes the same thing, but it's also heard in sound effects (monitor breaking, spindash release, etc)

I have an ear for small things like this that I wish I didn't have :v:

#20 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)

View PostShalpp, on 22 February 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

It did indeed fix it. What you listen for is the hi hats that play out of the noise channel. In the previous build in some tracks they sounded less like hats and just more like noise..clicks (no idea what the terminology for that is) There are a few hacks with what I'm guessing is a different sound engine that causes the same thing, but it's also heard in sound effects (monitor breaking, spindash release, etc)

Thanks for the confirmation.

What happened is this: the noise channel usually (almost always) uses a maximum frequency PSG note. In S1/S2 drivers, it is note $C6, while in S3/S&K/S3D drivers (and mine, since it is based off the S&K driver), there are two such notes, $D3 and $D4 (both of which are used). The difference is due to 13 PSG notes that the S3+ drivers have (12 at the start, one at the end). Songs converted between these drivers need to account for the difference; the previous versions of SMPS2ASM did not account for that, leading to broken noise channels in songs that were converted either to S3+ drivers from S1/S2, or from S3+ drivers to S1/S2.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 22 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

#21 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

• Emerald Hunter
So, instead of the new version, I just want to announce that I will hold off it for a little while; I am adding 8 new levels to the hack, an increase of more than 50%.

Still no work on arcade mode yet, though, but I am betting everyone will love the new additions.

#22 User is offline MotorRoach 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'm certainly looking forward to what you got planned for the next update, as it sounds pretty exciting with what you mentioned.

#23 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Since you said you wanna work on your own article I didn't upload pics for it. But here's the link for it: Big's Fishing Derby

The top right should have a pic of the title screen. You can add other pics to the bottom of the page if you want.

#24 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

• Emerald Hunter

View PostMathUser, on 25 March 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Since you said you wanna work on your own article I didn't upload pics for it. But here's the link for it: Big's Fishing Derby

Thanks; will edit it when I have some time.

#25 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

• Emerald Hunter
Here is the 2015 Sonic Hacking Contest version, revision $200. For more information, check the Wiki.

Preview:

#26 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
Already GOTY contender. Ruby would be proud :ruby:

#27 User is offline PKstarship 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

• Super-Sonic Racer
I finally caved and gave this hack a playthrough. I was very pleasantly suprised! The gameplay is simple but very addictive, the graphics are great, and the music is amazing! I was very happy to hear a 16-bit rendition of the Palmtree Panic theme. I played through all of Zen Mode and some of Arcade Mode. The bosses do certainly mix things up, and I like that.

Last but not least... (I guess I'll put this in a spoiler)
Spoiler

I really enjoyed this hack, and am going to play even more of it later. Excellent job Flamewing, I will not vote for this to get the Big Trophy :)

#28 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Spoiler

#29 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I guess I'm going to have to do record another playthrough of this now.

#30 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

• Wiki edits:41
This thing is friggin' HUGE now. Love all the Sonic remixes (you even got in Big's theme :D) and the new Arcade Mode.

Looking at it in action, my sprites don't really mesh well with the games' though, especially the fish.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 19 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users