Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2015 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2015 CONTEST WEEK IS NOW

#16 User is offline LoneDevil 

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

• Project:Metal Sonic Rebooted
HELL TO THE FUCKING YES, I GET TO PROCRASTINATE EVEN MORE

Nice.

#17 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
A reminder that the hacking contest is still going on and that everyone who is intending to submit should prepare entries for as soon as the site is ready.

The submissions deadline for entries will be Sunday 6th September 2015‚Äč where you must submit a playable build by then to the contest site in order for it to be entered.
You then have a week to refine your entry, fix any issues found and improve your hack which will be Sunday 13th September 2015.

Yes I'm aware, the site is holding this contest up and it really should have been up by now. Cinossu will be providing an update at some point concerning the progress as I can certainly understand that there are people getting restless over the fact that this contest hasn't been going to plan this year. At the end of the day, when someone has to prioritise their actual life and work over a contest, then that is completely understandable. Obviously it inconviences people who are planning to submit as well as those judging and doing media, but setbacks do happen all the time, it's just something we have to deal with.

If there needs to be any time extensions once again I will have to do that. Otherwise, prepare your entries and when the site is live, put them through as soon as you can.

#18 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Sorry for the double post. I'm going to cross-post this from SSRG as people over there asked why there was such a delay:

The whole point of this site (which Cinossu wanted to do) was to improve it over the last website, offer more functionality and also make it more reliable as there have been times when the site went down due to issues. From what I saw with the in-progress site, it's looking really good and it's certainly a lot better to work with than the last site, it's just that the guy's been busy with his own work where he does web development for a living. That I can understand, things can get in the way of things. It's just unfortunate when there's no progress updates at all, or any messages being left to say that there's been an issue that's going to delay the site again. I'm not mad at him, I can understand how things happen, it's just when we're two weeks away from the revised once-again deadline and there's nothing then it just means we have to increase the deadline once again and make sure everything is done and ready to go. I want at least a month of the site being open to the deadlines concerned.

The problem with extending the deadlines are that we have the media side of things, we have these streamers and YouTube favourites who are willing to help out with the contest, but when the dates change and other shit is already going to happen, then that means we lose those vital people - one of the biggest changes and benefits over the contest years ago was the community interaction instead of it just being a closed shop environment plus the fact that everything was being done on time and people could trust the dates given for when they'd get the results. Now I think we're just letting everyone down, from the people who submit to the normal players and even any staff member of the contest. Like I said, I'm not blaming Cinossu for anything, it's just the obvious lack of communication here is causing things to be delayed even further. Obviously something has got in the way and to that, there's not much that can be done at the moment. This is just a community event for fun, nobody's getting paid to do this shit or anything.

I will be revising the contest dates once I talk to the judges and the media people. It's not something I want to do, but it's certainly something that I just have to. Next year is going to be without all these issues, especially when this site is going to be built to last essentially. Obviously if you're submitting or plan to, then certainly you'll like the extra time, but there will be people who just want this to be over and done with so they can see if their hacks are worth it.

New contest dates are as follows:
Submissions Deadline: Sunday 4th October
Updates Deadline: Sunday 11th October
Contest Week: Monday 19th to Sunday 25th October

#19 User is offline LoneDevil 

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

• Project:Metal Sonic Rebooted
Kinda disappointed having to wait for nearly 2 months now but oh well.

#20 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I just don't see why each year we have to reinvent the wheel. It's like "Sonic series: the website"

#21 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:32 AM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
We are not reinventing the wheel, we are improving on what we have now. You've got to look at this from our perspective. We as the judges are trying to give people the experience of not just fun, but ease of use. The past websites have been fine, in fact, they were said to be used as backups if need be. But as the contest grows and expands, the more there is to be done.

Since 2013, the contest has grown to unseen heights. Two years ago, who would've known MostCallHimJuan would join in on our fun(well besides me, as I was the one invited him)? Last year, we not only had Johnny, but we had Cobi, Tails Channel, Bartman, ect. You know, it's crazy enough to see just MegaGWolfenstein come and do streams, but now, we have all of these peps playing with us. To constantly use the same site with only mild tweaking is almost absurd. Every year, Marc goes through and improves the site, and this year is no different.

The wait is worth it peps. I mean yes, we on the planning side of things are a bit disappointed in ourselves, but at the same token, it also gives us more time to fine tune shit. The extra month allows us to....

- Potentially get more media coverage
- Actually get a stable Mini-Contest potentially running as opposed to the last minute mess from last year.
- Advertise more.
- Get the word out on the Sega Homebrew Contest(Really Expo, but whateves, go look at that topic for my post in a bit.)

Also, October is a bit better anyways in means of our media personas as August and September is the month of cons and the beginning of school. We'd be out half of our streamers purely because of school.

All in all, don't fret. We aren't doing some crazy new shit that'll destroy the contest. We aren't raising the price of admission from 0 steaks to 1 steak. We aren't reinventing the wheel, we are simply changing it from wood to rubber.
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 29 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

#22 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm personally fine with this news... (late to the dance, I am)

I'll be on vacation back to China and away from the net... and much of life, really... and won't be back until October so selfishly this is great news.

#23 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
Super-sorry for the huge delay; as we get older real life gets more and more in the way of things, especially when your job is a busy one. You all just need to wait the smallest bit longer, as the site is going up this week completely finished or not (there's bits we can work on with it live). Get those entries, descriptions, and media all ready to upload!

http://shc.sonicresearch.org

#24 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

• inverted with love~
http://shc.sonicresearch.org

We're live! Come and upload your entries!

#25 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

• All life form data, successfully copied!
  • Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
Whenever I try logging in to the SHC site, it keeps saying my username and/or password are wrong (even though I know I'm typing them in correctly.) I was having this same problem last year too, but I wasn't expecting it to be happening again this year.

I'm really hoping this can be fixed before the October 4th deadline, since I want to enter one of my hacks into this year's SHC.

#26 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

• Some say that Heaven is Hell
  • Project:ass
Are you typing in your DISPLAY name, or what you use to log into the forums?

#27 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

• Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)

View PostArtmeierCompanies, on 24 September 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Are you typing in your DISPLAY name, or what you use to log into the forums?

There's a difference?

The name displayed alongside my posts is the exact same name I gave my account when I made it, and is the exact same name I've used for logging into Sonic Retro since the start.

I've never had any problems logging into the main Sonic Retro forums, and the SHC problems only started last year (I had no problems logging into the SHC site in 2013.)

#28 User is offline LuigiXHero 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

• RAWR
  • Project:Sonic North Island, ??? (It's a sekret) Genesis Remake , Various other stuff
I am having the same problems

I tried both my SSRG account and my one here.
This post has been edited by LuigiXHero: 24 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

#29 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

• inverted with love~
One thing to try to make sure of is that your username is capitalised the same way, as well.

#30 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostCinossu, on 24 September 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

One thing to try to make sure of is that your username is capitalised the same way, as well.

Seeing my username without proper capitalization just looks wrong to me, so I always use the proper capitalization when typing it in.

From what I can tell, either the site is somehow expecting me to still be using the same password I used when logging into the 2013 SHC site (which I stopped using as of early 2014, and have long since forgotten,) or there's some other unrelated issue preventing me (and LuigiXHero) from logging in.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users