don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    So it's S3k's 20th year of being Classic Sonic's magnum opus. It's not much, but Stealth & I thought fit to celebrate:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1cErthI6s&spfreload=10%20Message%3A%20JSON%20Parse%20error%3A%20Unexpected%20EOF%20(url%3A%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCt1cErthI6s[/media]

Stealth has also written an in depth blog post detailing the technical elements of Sonic 3k, and how we approached this.

http://hcstealth.tumblr.com/post/100311283757/sonic-3-knuckles-20th-anniversary

I'll continue to parrot this to make sure it's clear: this isn't an official announcement of any Sega project, nor to we intend to work on this as a fan-project. It's simply a proof of concept from our vaults that has been kept to our chests for some time.

Enjoy!

2. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    THIS.WANT.NAOW!!

Glad to see you've worked on it, even if it'll be a while before Sega give you the go ahead to properly work on it for public release

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This makes me so sad because of the fact that Sega won't let it FUCKING HAPPEN. :argh:

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

No, no. It's real. It has to be. No one would turn that down. Sonic 3 will be rereleased and it'll be awesome, you'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!!! *huddles on the floor in fetal position*

I love you added the retooled intro for Knuckles like in Tiddles' hack.

I admit though, outside the fixes and extras in Complete (which are fun and effective but usually minor), I don't see as much room for expansion as the previous games. Sonic CD had both soundtracks and Tails. Sonic 1 had Tails and Knuckles, Sonic 2 had Hidden Palace. Both had Sonic 3 extra features like Sonic's shield attacks. What big extras doesn't Sonic 3 already have to warrant a remaster?

5. Tanks

Tanks

:argh:

6. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I've already commented on individual videos from the blog but to reiterate here, I do like the look of this. How it'll pan out, though, is anyone's guess.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that I've always wondered myself. Really I feel like all that's left is simply fixing whatever bugs and glitches that pop up, and Sega wouldn't allow something like Tiddles' hack that included music alterations and different sprites for Sonic.

Oh and nice you got rid of pink Knuckles. Good show.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Obviously you haven't read my blog post :P

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The one retool I can think of is for Competition Mode. I suppose they could add Knuckles' 1 player move set, but expanding much further would likely go against the 'no new levels' mandate SEGA seem to have.

I suppose this could be another thing to look into. SEGA might be more willing to invest into the project if it has a big hook.

EDIT:
    I stand corrected. That's quite a clever loophole. :D

Sorry I was to mesmerised by the video.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    So I'm reading a bit of Stealth's post and it got me wondering about the noticeable load times in the Retro Engine. If Sonic 3 does get the go ahead and the consoles do get say a disc release would you get around that by having the game completely loaded into the ram? Personally I would love to have zero load time as I've always enjoyed the instant loading from the cartridge games.

11. That just happened didn't it?! The game DOES WORK!

SEGA has no excuse now. Please SEGA. Please...

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The load time isn't much, like a couple of frames. But we didn't want any potential stuttering during the fire sequence, hence the nifty work around we did. All the other transitions are on static backgrounds so we probably wouldn't need it. That said, if we weren't happy with how anything was turning out we'd certainly do what it takes to have it on par with the original. Hypothetically speaking, of course :v:

13. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Guys why do you gotta be a tearjerker

This looks awesome and is a perfect way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of probably the best the series, and hell even the genesis had to offer. In a perfect world this would be a product that could legally be released in its entirety the way you guys would want it to be done.

Damn good job folks!

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

I've just read the section regarding the Angel Island Zone Act 1 loop before the big tree and I disagree. It's not really a 3 path system at all and your screenshot even confirms this. As your screenshot shows, Path A has collision that handles both the incoming path from the left and the path from the bottom. Due to the top solid collision, you will always remain on the right wall when running up from underneath and if coming from the left, run on top of the top solid collision until it reaches the "wall" section of the loop. Then it's just a case of continuing the loop with normal path swappers (I.e. 02 90 and 02 11, iirc). This sort of section is also present in IceCap Zone 2 and uses clever placement of top solid collision and path swappers to allow you to stay on one path until you hit said path swapper. Why you had to code something new to make this work is beyond me.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They do have one pretty good excuse, actually: legal issues.

Anyway, fantastic work. I haven't read the full blog post yet, but this is some very interesting stuff.

16. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I never said anything about a "3 path system". Aside from referencing the 2-path system used since Sonic 2, what I did say was this:

"Although this only allows for two paths to cross the same space without issue, there is an area at the bottom of the last loop before the giant tree in act 1 where three paths cross each other- up the loop, down the loop, and up onto the loop from the separate path below"

I described, in detail, three distinct areas of collision that crossed each other on a 2D plane and how they were dealt with. The two-path system takes care of going up and coming down the loop, while the other, entirely distinct level path (not collision system path), which also crosses the same section of the level, is handled using this special exception. I've seen the code in the original game, and finding it is, in fact, how I got that particular level section to work correctly in my DS port after seeing that it didn't when I first imported the level. The pseudocode in my blog post is almost an exact duplicate of the C version I created for the 3DS port, which is based on the exact procedure I found in the original assembly

In all three versions, for exactly the same reason, it is absolutely necessary to handle it as an exception. Top-only collision is otherwise treated the same when found on a wall you're running up/down as it is when you encounter it on the floor below. You're allowed to pass through it "sideways" and from "below", but you always stand "on top of" it if any of it is below you. It's not fixed-directional; it's based on your orientation

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

My apologies for misquoting you as you are correct; you didn't specifically mention a three path system. However, I still don't understand the need for an exception here. I've looked at the area in detail many times in the past and have even used these chunks the same way in another area in my Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack (ongoing for 6 years+ now), so why is this exception necessary? The collision and path swapper objects that are used are more than adequate for achieving the result that's expected.

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

What a tease! The blog post has me salivating at the possibilities! Sega get on this, pay the Jackson estate for the songs if you have to!

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    My money is on the table waiting for you SEGA. I own multiple copies of the Sonic CD 2011 port and would happily slapped down for Sonic 1-3 2012/2014.

Don't know what needs to be done exactly, but unless it requires paying out an unreasonably large amount of money to someone's estate, try to make it happen.

20. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Damnit, I wanted to shell out money for a definitive version of Sonic 3K.
    Very awesome stuff guys!