don't click here

Sonic's gameplay was unlike anything that had ever been done befor

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Josh, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I noticed that most Sonic history videos put most of their focus on reiterating the ways that Sonic was different from Mario in terms of character and attitude. The distinctiveness of his gameplay is focused on a lot less, especially outside of this community. That pretty much became the basis for this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8VnqFPVyCo[/youtube]

EDIT: Accidentally a letter in the title. That's what I get for staying up all night working on this thing, haha.

2. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Wow Josh, that was really well done! I am looking back on the game a bit differently now. I'm going to watch your Sonic 2 video...

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This retrospective series you've done so far is brilliant, nailed so many points on the head with the design of Sonic games especially the point about GHZ level design being a masterpiece.

4. Tralis

Tralis

Toaster Extraordinaire Oldbie
    Very cool. Will we see one for Sonic 3?

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Nice video, well thought out, I watched the whole thing and wasn't bored one bit like I usually get with other people's opinions and perspective videos on YouTube.

I do have to say though, that the points you made about Marble Zone aren't generally that obvious to the average player unless they're really analyzing the game as a whole.

I think that with Sonic 1 the game was all about creating a platformer that COULD go fast, not one that NEEDED to go fast. It was enough that Sonic as a character was able to go fast that set him apart from Mario. Green Hill, sections of Spring Yard and also StarLight Zone kept up the pace enough that Marble Zone and Labyrinth weren't to much of an issue. If you knew where to go on those stages and Sracp Brain, you could finish thsoe levels speedily anyway, which was part of the beauty of it.

Also, I'm probably the only person who doesn't miss the spindash in no 1.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Planning on doing that after I get through Sonic CD, yeah. Which I'm HOPING to have out tomorrow or Wednesday. Working on it right now.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

I see where you're coming from on Marble. It's not that it was slower-paced and focused more on platforming. It's that it was blocky and almost entirely linear. Sonic's key difference was in his physics engine more than his speed itself. And Marble Zone's underground terrain just did NOT take advantage of that at all. Compare that to slower-paced sections in later games, like say Death Egg Zone in S&K or even Metropolis. They feel a lot more like uniquely Sonic levels.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Wow, that was a great video. Good job.

8. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I like the way you think. I have subscribed and cant wait for the next video!

9. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    That was you? I've already watched them, from my Youtube recommendations. Nice job, I especially liked all the alternate sequel points in Sonic CD.

Plus, the alternate videos for CD amused me. Why did they say Sally, Amy looks absolutely nothing like her.

10. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member
    I was working on (still somewhat am) a review of Sonic 1 and you nailed the biggest issue I had with the game down.

I don't even think it's worth me continuing it anymore, lol. Great video, it was very enjoyable.