don't click here

Sonic Boom Moves to NYC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, May 22, 2014.

1. Just Announced on the Sega Blog:

Also announced along with it is that Sonic Boom will be in NYC this year and will take place on October 4th.

I'm happy that Sonic Boom got moved closer to me, but no SOS for the UK is pretty bad. What do you all think?

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    [​IMG]
    New York City sure got very desert-y, didn't it? :v:

But for real, I don't think I'll attend these, much like I haven't attended them in the past; I've heard they're a little... eh, awkward, to put it mildly. (Feel free to correct me, I suppose, but then bear in mind, I've never felt that comfortable at any large convention to begin with.)

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Really I think it's in need of a break, they can't just repeat some stuff over and over again. To think during their hiatus, they could think of sorting out AIR CON.

Also it doesn't stop the usual Retro meetups either, despite trying to organise it around Summer of Sonic.

Saying that, the Summer of Sonic organisers are a lot better than SEGA of America doing Sonic Boom. It's just not the same without community involvement really, no offence to RubyEclipse or anyone else from SoA who sees this.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm guessing that Sonic Boom was moved to October to promote Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom with Sonic Boom and also to use Sonic Boom in Sonic Boom to promote Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom without using it in Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I was hoping that Sonic Boom would have been in Chicago so I could go again, but I was happy to go last year so I thank Sega for hosting it in St. Louis. :) Oh well I'll just watch the live stream on here. xP

6. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    It's a huge shame, but if it's due to organisational issues then it's probably for the best.

What I mean is, if a lot of the usual guests aren't available and the organisers aren't sure how they can make the event better than the previous year, hiatus can be a good thing. There's no point in putting on the event if they can't make it as good as before, and a break will give them more time to be creative with the next one.

I'll miss SoS for its atmosphere and how it brought together the fans, a break was probably what it needed. Just wait for its triumphant return!

Awkward? Not from my experience. You'd be surprised how sociable the people are. The Sonic fanbase isn't half as bad as the internet pretends it is.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Depending on how things work out, we may have a pretty large Retro contingent going this year.

Though, if I go, I'll more likely want to see New York and visit the new World Trade Center. I like sky decks. :v: I also like Sky Deck, yes.

8. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    NYC eh? That's only about a 2 hour drive, I can deal with that
    Skydeck a Go Go

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Can't have a trip to NYC without the Nintendo World. =P

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    That is by no means a certainty.

11. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    Svend Joscelyne on Facebook:

Just putting that out there. Unless you do expect it to return, just not triumphantly :v:

12. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I have full trust in Svend, he's a good guy that I'm pleased to know. I truly believe that he intends to deliver on his promise.

But let me tell you something, man. I know disappointment. People, circumstances, finances - all of these things can change. Right now, there's every intention for the event to return, but intentions don't always translate into reality. A key supporter at Sega might leave, key people may continue to face time pressures, demand may fall. Svend may even be living outside of the UK by this time next year, who knows? Crazier things have happened.

I hope that Summer of Sonic will be back because I thoroughly enjoyed the five events I attended. I'm just not holding my breath.

13. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    As a New Yorker myself, finally glad I'll be able to go to one of these Sonic events :D

14. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Well, that's immensely disappointing. Summer of Sonic is honestly one of the highlights of my year, it's a fun day out and a good opportunity to spend the weekend with fellow Retro members. It's something I always look forward to when it's announced.

Here's hoping it'll return next year then... :/

15. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    Sad news for our friends in the UK...

But on the bright side, I might finally be able to go to Sonic Boom! New York isn't THAT far away from my place... Just a day's work worth of driving. Just need to find a way to get an extra vacation from work though, since the bosses have already accepted my original schedule of vacation... Well then... First things first... Gotta get myself a passeport!

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I wonder how many Britons or Europeans would be willing to organize something together/kickstart(?!?!) it.

Mind you, the hardest part is easily finding a venue that will host for the day that's in an accessible area by transit at an affordable price.

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I'm seriously considering going to Sonic Boom this year. This is my one shot to fucking do this.

Also, anybody up for a meetup in Times Square?

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm pretty much convinced that nothing like this will ever happen around Georgia, so I'm considering a plane trip. Or maybe even a bitchin' road trip.

Not just for Sonic Boom of course, I'd find other shit to do. It's New Goddamn York.

19. I have a friend I've been meaning to visit in New York. Now I ponder if October is the time to do it.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'll probably be heading up for the weekend with some of the FTCR crew to class up the event so you can count me in. Maybe this year someone will actually go dance with Sonic on stage.

As far as guests go I'm putting bets on Frost (Boom game producer), and maybe someone from the TV show to premiere a new clip. I think Mike is seeing if he can attend it as a regular guest but it'd be cool if they got him and Roger on stage as Sonic/Eggman for a bit, and for another Q&A to go horribly awry. *"WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SONIC/EGGMAN'S KID WOULD LOOK LIKE"* Also fingers crossed for Johnny/Jun again. I don't care how jaded you are about the series but there is nothing like being in the crowd of a Crush 40 show who knows all the words. It's an absolute blast.