Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: (DC) Sonic Adventure 2 Pre-Release (2001-05-03) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

(DC) Sonic Adventure 2 Pre-Release (2001-05-03) Everything you need to know + download link inside.

#1 User is offline Orengefox 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

• The world's greatest scientist and soon to be the world's greatest pervert.
  • Project:Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
As if the Sonic Adventure prototype wasn't enough ;p

Posted Image

[Disc Scan] [Back Cover Scan]

Download DC Sonic Adventure 2 Pre-Release (2001-05-03) - Shop Trial (JUE) BIN

Download DC Sonic Adventure 2 Pre-Release (2001-05-03) - Shop Trial (JUE) ISO

SEGA SEGAKATANA
SEGA ENTERPRISES
ED36 GD-ROM1/1
JUE 0799210
6108057 V1.002
1ST_READ.BIN
SEGA ENTERPRISES
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 TRIAL VERSION
Sonic Adventure 2's release in Japan - Build Date: 2001-05-29 / Public Release Date: 2001-06-23

26 days before the build date of Sonic Adventure 2's release in Japan.

Not too long ago I was looking up information on a Saturn game on this one site called "Segagaga Domain" and decided to browse through the Dreamcast section. That's when I stumbled upon this [Sonic Adventure 2 The Trial UNRELEASED]. By this point, I was intrigued. It sounded potentially pre-release like. There was of course no dump of this at the time. We didn't have any information about this Taikenban disc on our database until recently.

In the process of trying to find a copy of this disc, I came across many things. One of them being that Japanese promotion disc of Sonic Adventure containing a prototype version of the game. I didn't even know of it's existence. It goes to show that some things can fall off the radar. Sometimes it's a case of people judging a book by it's cover.

Taking the build date of this pre-release into consideration, there's not much in the way of differences. The menu selection is different of course (it's using the leftover stuff found in the final version). You choose either Sonic, Shadow or 2P Sonic vs. Shadow. Sonic's level is City Escape. Shadow's level is Radical Highway. Don't know what's in 2P Sonic vs. Shadow as there was no second controller set. I want to say there's something is odd about City Escape aside from Big the Cat not being there. Radical Highway looks the same (maybe it's just me). Some demonstrations don't work right even on hardware etc.

Unlike my previous Sonic prototype topics, I hoping to establish a potential small donation this time around. It's not required but greatly appreciated as it helps with the Sonic prototype findings; it's one of the things I do as a Researcher on Retro. Case in point, that Sonic Advance 2 in the prototype cart MSX bought off me; that really came inhandy in more ways than one. Please PM me if you would like to make a donation =)

I'll leave you all to tear this apart now. I'll be posting other things throughout the topic. Enjoy!

GerbilEdit®: Mirrored the disc images to my server to reduce bandwidth usage on Retro.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM
Reason for edit: Mirrored the disc images.

#2 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
Great find! I can't wait to see this torn apart. I suspect the biggest differences won't be visible by playing, but by hacking. I certainly hope so, anyway, as there could potentially be some really exciting leftovers hidden in here.

#3 User is offline Orengefox 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Here's the game's file list which you can easily find using a Hex viewer. Spoiler'd for size.

Spoiler

#4 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostOrengefox, on 21 May 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Here's the game's file list which you can easily find using a Hex viewer. Spoiler'd for size.

Dreamcast games use standard ISO-9660, but with a multisession offset (usually 45,000 sectors).

In order to mount this on Linux, you'd need to add 45,000 sectors worth of padding to the beginning of the image (45,000 * 2,048 bytes == 92,160,000 bytes), and then mount using sbsector:

mount -o loop,sbsector=45000 dc-img.iso dc-img/

I'll try this out when I get home.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 21 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

#5 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
Any musical differences, like the other prototype?
This post has been edited by Neko Kit Su: 21 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

#6 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
Interesting that there are references to both Shadow and Terios. Are there still references in the final retail version about Terios, or were they all replaced with Shadow later? Had they just not bothered at this point in dev?

#7 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Did you get this from segagaga? I remember this being pointed out before. The back cover has a typo in Sonics name.

#8 User is offline Orengefox 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostMathUser, on 21 May 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Did you get this from segagaga? I remember this being pointed out before. The back cover has a typo in Sonics name.
Nope. I managed to acquired this copy from elsewhere ;)
This post has been edited by Orengefox: 21 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

#9 User is offline PicklePower 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

• Wiki edits:2,809
Here's the music: https://www.dropbox....eguNhZp?v=1swn-

I didn't notice any differences, though.

#10 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostPicklePower, on 21 May 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Here's the music: https://www.dropbox....eguNhZp?v=1swn-

I didn't notice any differences, though.

ETA: N/M, answered my own question. Reserved post until I find something.:eng101:

Sad, I think you're right on the music.
This post has been edited by Neko Kit Su: 22 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

#11 User is offline Blades 

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

The music is different. These are slightly edited mixes, especially Shadow's theme, but were likely made from the finished versions.

Jun Senoue in February of 2002:

I started writing songs for SA2 in April of 2000, and finished all the music in February of 2001. The rest of my time from March until we released the game was spent working on sound effects in the game.

Anyways very cool!

#12 User is offline TSMD 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

• Project:Sonic Adventure 2 Proto Stuff
I found the level and character addresses for cheat engine.

2C248F44 Controls the current level. The only ones I could get to load were Green forest (Value 03), Prison Lane (09), City Escape (13), Radical Highway (14), Wild Canyon (16), Dry Lagoon (18), and Sand Ocean (21). Trying to play any other level leads to emulator crash or the game locking up on the menu. If you select Sonic vs Shadow it loads up an empty level with a few parts of Sonic and Shadow's models. They pose and say their battle quotes then the emulator crashes (Except a few levels I don't remember right off hand... They just crash right away).

The Character Address is 2C248F4C for first player, and 2C248F50 for the second player.
The values are
0 - Sonic
1 - Shadow
2 - Instant Crash (Mechless Tails in the final)
3 - Attempts to load title card, then freeze (Mechless Eggman in the final)
4 - Knuckles
5 - Rouge
6 - Mech Tails
7 - Mech Eggman
The next set of values all freeze up the game before they load the Sonic and Shadow load up title cards. I was only able to identify the rest through the LCD they load up
8 - Amy
9 - Sonic
10 - Shadow
11 - Amy
12 - Metal
13 - Chao
14 - Big
15 - Tikal
16 - Chaos 0
I believe that the mechless characters need a certain code to load (like in the final), but I am unsure of what that is.

Out of all of this I found pretty much nothing. I didn't notice much differences from the final. Besides maybe a life box replacing a power up, and characters starting with a power up (I.E. Knuckles and Rouge can already dig, Eggman and Tails already have their hover ability). The most interesting thing I found was Sand ocean. When loading it up as Eggman he spawns under the platform and dies. In the top left corner there is a debug flame counter. It has random values and I am unsure of what it does. After Eggman respawns the level plays like normal, except it doesn't have any music. Any other character in Sand Ocean spawns under the ground with smoke and sparks coming out of their head. They are completely stuck in the quicksand and die.

I tested characters in other levels (Besides Green forest, I forgot it exists ok? :P)

Speed characters (Sonic) load up fine in Wild canyon and Prison Lane. When they load in Dry Lagoon they spawn under the turtle and fall through the ground. You can avoid this in 2 player mode (Characters are pushed away from that spot.) In 2 player in Sand Ocean Sonic (Player 1) spawns underground in a grinding position and grinds downwards, Shadow (Player 2) spawns in a standing pose and dies nonstop. Sonic can't jump off the rail.

Hunter characters (Knuckles) load up fine in Radical Highway (With some gliding to get to the level). Upon loading anywhere else, besides Sand Ocean) they just fly away at super high speeds and die. If the first player is a hunter character the emerald radar loads up. It is exactly the same as in the final.

Shooting characters (Eggman) load up fine in City Escape, Radical Highway, Wild Canyon, Dry Lagoon and Sand Ocean. There is absolutely no problems playing as a shooting character. You are required to float around to get to the main stage for City Escape and Radical Highway.

I haven't found anything else really interesting. I believe this prototype is pretty much almost finished...
Edit: After seeing the object list Orengefox posted there is pretty much nothing left in game besides what I found. (I.E. SET data for only the levels I found.) I guess Sega just cleared out everything that wasn't going to be in the prerelease. I suppose that the hunters and shooters were going to be playable in the prerelease as well, but they were removed.
This post has been edited by TSMD: 27 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

#13 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

• Wiki edits:18
No idea if this was already known, but that list seems to hint towards Amy being planned as a 1-player character even after the Mech characters had already been implemented.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 27 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

#14 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Amy's character ID being 8 (same as in final) is a bit odd, but it doesn't mean she was meant to be a 1P character. It crashes probably because it didn't load anything for the main character.

#15 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

• Wiki edits:18
I'm saying it seems to hint at it because there's 2 different IDs for those characters with different behaviors in the 1-player and Vs. modes (Sonic and Shadow and their attacks) and for Amy.

That's assuming that the Vs. mode reuses the 1-player characters for the hunting and shooting levels.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 27 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users