don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Rude. Donnie wields too much power and must be stopped.

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, NINJA.

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    [​IMG]

This is a steam page screenshot.

One of the game screenshots they're showing is a clip from the CG trailer with no characters visible.

It even has a bit of vignette baked into the image.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Even if the game is mediocre, there's a few things worth noting. First, this is much less expensive than the game's original launch price. It's easier to justify an inferior game at $25 than at $60. Second, as many have mentioned, there's a lot of modding potential. But perhaps most importantly, it represents a shift in SEGA's strategy, one that I think we can all get behind. Between this and other games they're bringing to PC, it's clear they're taking it more seriously as a platform than they used to. That alone is worth getting excited about.

I don't really understand why, now that RSS is working again. I was never good at explicitly visiting the front page, but if the front page posts show up in my RSS reader, I don't miss a single one.

4. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    I did some digging into the pricing since people spotted a difference. Got a confirmation on the actual pricing this morning:

£19.99/$29.99/€27.99

Hopefully this clears that up!

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Any chance of a mod API being built in or at the very least hooks for loading files outside of a container? The easier of a time we have with it, the better those sales figures will be.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I doubt very much he's going to answer that Dude, but nice try =P

Ruby - thanks for the clarification. I'm assuming some wires got crossed just before the announcement.

7. DSE

DSE

France
    I remember spending 39.99€ for per-ordering the game in 2013 but agree with the rest : some other games will have the "Billy Hatcher effect", which is good thing.

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    [​IMG]

Now THAT was entirely unexpected.

... More PC Releases, hm? ... SkiesOfArcadiap0x

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Twenty quid for a new release of a former platform exclusive is a pretty decent price. I'd be right on it if I was at home with my decent PC.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Thanks for clarifying, I guess the European price will be updated soon then? It's still €29.99 on the Steam store.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Does anyone else feel like the tube worlds in Sonic Lost World look like a really long thin strip of poop

I mean. I'm moderately enthused for this PC release. But I can't unsee it now.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    yespl0xSOAnao

alsoShenmueHD

13. Monsoon

Monsoon

I agree with this a lot. This new attention that the platform is getting could mean a lot of things in the future. Honestly, if this keeps up I don't think I'll be shelling out any cash for a console in a while.

That aside though I'm looking forward to actually playing this, even if it is mediocre. I never actually got the chance to so this is pretty nice, especially at the price of 20 quid.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Yeah, I doubt Sega will ever openly support mods. The fact they turn a (Semi-)blind eye to it is enough of a victory. As long as people aren't making money off it, of course.

But the idea that Jet Set Radio Future may FINALLY be leaving Xbox exclusivity is exciting, and I'm more than ready to slap down $20-$30 for it.

15. Falk

Falk

Hate to rain on the parade, but I sincerely doubt modding is going to "save"* Lost World.

There barely exists any outstanding custom levels for Generations, and Lost World's gameplay simply is a lot more dependant on level design, especially to take full advantage of the parkour mechanics. I mean, Sonic Team (Colors Team, whatever) themselves had problems figuring out how to capitalize on the gameplay. What's a bunch of enthusiasts who essentially couldn't do much worthwhile with Generations going to do?

It's probably going to be easier to make geometry/graphics that aren't completely incongruent to the base game just due to the simpler, more vibrant art style, but still, I'm willing to bet there's going to be virtually zero efforts that don't fizzle halfway, or don't turn out even more clunky than the game itself.

Prove me wrong pls

*Using this term outside the context of my own opinion. I thought Lost World was decent for what it was. But then again I've only watched complete playthroughs, not played it myself. (Which will change, of course!)

edit: Need to properly ration out dem confusing double negatives.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Personally I don't expect it to "save" the game, but mods should allow for some dumb fun stuff to be added.

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It doesn't need to save the game, just add some value to it. Really, with just the ability to load discrete files instead of having them all packed in a glob and a spec for some of the formats is more than enough to add tons of value to the game. That could be done without adding official support, but would also be a simple change that could be done during development that goes a long way.

Expecting someone to overhaul the game entirely won't work out. I used to try doing total overhauls back in the day and without proper source, it never worked out.

Really, all I'm asking for is the ability to inject some extra life into the game. Nothing huge.

18. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    This is really great news. I enjoyed in some way LW on WiiU. I know it wasn't the best sonic.

I just hope the game at least have decent graphics options (not like generations) and acceptable system requirements (I want to play in FullHD 60fps)

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While new content is nice, I'm not necessarily implying that it's necessary. I want mods to take the bullshit out of the existing game. Remove the mandatory deadly six fights and their cringe worthy in-level dialogue, let Sonic run in the snowball level to circumvent that whole mess, get rid of the strange Super Sonic restrictions such as banning Super Sonic from the speed sections, get rid of that mess with moving the pineapple around to kill the cluckers. I'm not sure how possible all of this would be, but I'd have to imagine most of what I said would be as simple as deleting the offending items and replacing bosses with Egg Capsules. I'd also be interested to see some level porting, such as taking levels from Generations or Mario Galaxy and putting them in this game.

Very little "new" content was made for Generations, a lot of it was reusing stuff that already existed. This game simply gives us another playstyle to work with, which depending on the game the levels are being ported from might make more sense. For example, Sonic Colors levels would make a lot more sense in Lost World than they would in Generations due to having a lot of the wisps to choose from. I actually feel like a lot of the pre boost era games' levels would work pretty well using Lost World's play style, and many of Generations levels would be interesting at the very least (I don't see Unleashed's levels being a whole lot of fun though). Plus, make a classic Sonic mod and then boom, the art style of this game makes 1000x more sense (The final boss was designed to look like Classic Robotnik ffs).

Also having the option to play this game without ever having to use the touch pad or motion controls already makes the game more bearable. I actually want to 100% the game in it's normal state once this comes out just to see how much less of a pain it's going to be than when it first came out on the Wii U, when every wisp required motion controls and 100 rings didn't grant you an extra life.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'd be more than okay if we get more stages like the two rail levels (oddly the most enjoyable ones in the game) or stages utilizing the otherwise criminally underused Honeycomb Highway gimmick.