Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1: Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) New Poll, come vote ! !

#391 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Not a real level, but ehh going to post it for the hell of it.... this was done some months back for ( yes more testing )
Posted Image

#392 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

Gorgeous!

#393 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

Nice!

Nice to see an update :-)

#394 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

• Technical Artist
Just because we can!
Posted Image

Glitches Just like real Sega games have !
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 25 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

#395 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:16 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Can you talk about what still needs to be done with the engine? Obviously, this glitch demonstration aside, it often seems like you're ready to start concentrating on making levels.

#396 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostFrom 26 January 2015 - 03:16 AM:

Can you talk about what still needs to be done with the engine? Obviously, this glitch demonstration aside, it often seems like you're ready to start concentrating on making levels.

Actually I was starting to make or get some ideas formed into gameplay elements right when the new X-treme content dropped. Which caused me to drop the custom levels I was working on.

Not a whole lot needs to be done engine wise, I feel we're on the home stretch now with Xak only having a few things left to program in like spinslash and another enemy AI fix for flying enemies whenever he gets the time,
And new member Nekit is kicking ass on the enemy animation system right now. Its looking good !( Nekit is here to help lighten the load )
Josh is working on Sonic's Animations and other small fixes,( he is a genus at what he does and works fast when he can!) in fact that glitch shown above is now history.
If things keep up the way they are than I think we may have a complete Levels engine this next few months. (hell maybe sooner.)

I'm still working on porting new levels from the leak over to UDK, still a lot of work to be done on that front. (I've also been helping JollyRoger out with the Official Sonic X-treme NV1 and Saturn to windows 7 8 vista ect port by handeling public relations by posting news updates and making video's and also diving into the .def files to fix some physics issues along with documenting levels that have issues and what they are to assist with troubleshooting among other things to much to list.
My schedule has been full up with X-treme ! It's like a juggling game here !

Anyhow....After I get the new levels into UDK and functioning ( not sure how long that will be), and OR if some more small gameplay issues and bugs get fixed enough than a new AXSX demo will be dropped ,and yes that could happen before I finish porting the new levels into the engine, as I've got a few levels that are basically ready for release now aside from some last minute tweaks needing to be done to them)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 26 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

#397 User is offline Felik 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

• Wiki edits:1
Sorry that I don't want to look through all 27 pages of the thread but are there any footprints of Tails, Knuckles and Tiara in the stuff you got? I remember in particular that Tiara and Knuckles sprites existed in some form.
Also what about Nack, Metal Sonic and Eggman?

#398 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostFelik, on 27 January 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Sorry that I don't want to look through all 27 pages of the thread but are there any footprints of Tails, Knuckles and Tiara in the stuff you got? I remember in particular that Tiara and Knuckles sprites existed in some form.
Also what about Nack, Metal Sonic and Eggman?

There is nothing on my end, although Jolly has not shared the .anm files yet. As for the bosses, there is nothing at all whatsoever from the boss builds except a flower texture that was scaled down for use in Nack's stage floor.
What we have is basically a snap shot in time of around E3. JR does not have the engine or later levels that chris Senn has shown for Jade gully , Red sands, New paths and Crystal frost. That engine is much more recent and a lot more playable than what we have here.

The 3 available versions of engine that JR is sharing are also pretty ,,,,,,(Bad shape) um how should I put it,It's the original team's Work in progress. According to Jolly, the engine is in mid re-wright so some of the code that did work ( and that .def files have parameters for) was stripped out and or commented out of the source code. a lot of it will need to restored after he finishes all 3 ports to Modern windows. He'll be able to mix and match attributes between 2 versions: 37 and 4 to get a more complete version that has restored functions that the .def files depend on.

As for other technical news that I can share, ( or recap on) To help JR lighten the load, I've been asked to assist with setting up tweaked level physics. Every level has its own Physics Parameters. Some levels you can see that STI was tweaking physics from level save file to save file. And later builds have busted physics all together making levels completely unplayable. ( OUCH!)

So yeah I've been looking threw a lot of the .def files in both Jolly's Leak and HXC's leak, I Found some comfortable parameters within both leaks. The HXC leak parameters however did not work out of box, since that engine used different coding attributes. I had to multiply or divide the parameters by even numbers. So with a marriage Between both types of parameters the results are very close to what was shown in the E3 video footage.
Things that were tweaked include :bounce effect, air drag, run friction, jump up and down gravities, and a few more.) ( Sure its not 100% authentic but , at least its more comfortable to play than lets say jumping half way up a level with single bounce, or floating down to the ground slowly for 30 seconds. or having the camera right up in Sonic's face. ( for you guys who want something untouched, I think that it may be best to release 2 level packs separately so you can have something to play and something in original state.)

Now, onto the rings and objects news. Many of the levels are using Actual cubes with odd cube collisions for rings and other props like badniks. These can be passed threw from the back to the front, but they have a force that pushes sonic making levels virtually not at all very fun to play threw)
What Jolly has asked and that I've already started was to take Actors (like the rings actor) as found in older .defs and get them moved over to the newer .defs that lack the Actor section.
Thank God that the engine can still load up the actors ( although some broken)

First we need to tell the .def to load textures, than the pallet, than after the Cube section definition area, we need to add the new ring definition code.
Inside the Actor's parameters we can tell It do the following:
Bubble, FollowEdge, Follower, PingPong, Static, or leave it blank and the actor will have no collision.
Some of these seem broken at the moment, Follower and static seem to be reversed actions, and bubble does not work,
The real follower has an interesting action ,( I can not reveal that at the moment, You all will have to wait for future videos)

I've also made a small chart that tells us which color to use for the .pcx layout image maps when drawing Cubes and Actors. The engine uses the index of the color to lay out the objects and not the color itself.
(color is only important for the artist's to use it as a visual when designing layouts. What I mean is for example we could change the color of the index chart in Photoshop and the engine wouldn't give a shit another words)
C starts the cube actors and A starts the Actors pallet index color.

Please note since this image has been screen captured , its color attributes are not the same as a real indexed color and can not be used when editing a real .pcx map file. ( yes I learned the hard way)
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

#399 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

• Technical Artist
Jerky motion warning ! If you get sick from flashing images don't look !
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

#400 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

• let's don't forget about it
  • Project:Comic drawing, game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1
Goddamn this game is going to be so much fun

#401 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostLordOfSquad, on 27 January 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Goddamn this game is going to be so much fun

Here's a water concept test... ( Low FPS because level geo has not been condensed yet)
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

#402 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

• Technical Artist
This shows how easy it is to steer sonic accurately at fast speeds. ( I was fumbling around a bit because of switching hands quickly between mouse to controller on account of the gif recording software.)
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

#403 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

• Technical Artist
Building levels has never been easier! Just select the cube you want to clone and ALT + Drag it to clone.
You don't even need to worry about UV mapping as its handled automatically by AXSX's custom Auto-UVmapping shader for use with textures that span multiple blocks!
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

#404 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

• Technical Artist
Loops?!!! Check! 2 types of loop... first one is locked to a path...and feels like the classic 2D sonic game loops. or could feel like adventure. (it depends on how one sets it up)
Have you ever wanted to run freely on Loops in a Sonic game ? Well Now here is your chance ! Check out type 2 with yes! 2 gifs!!! OMFG Yes !
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 28 January 2015 - 12:01 AM

#405 User is offline RGX 

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:15 AM

• Animator
  • Project:Freelance artist for hire.
  • Wiki edits:3
Love the works in progress! Like always, your project looks more promising with every update. Especially the movement and water physics. Sonic X-TREME wishes it was as polished as this.

• 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users