Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 175 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth HIDDEN PALACE ZONE MOTHERFUCKERS

#46 User is offline Kail 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

• His Royal Kailness
  • Project:http://www.destroyallslackers.com
  • Wiki edits:6
Honestly speaking, unless this is loaded with extras I don't see it being THAT much better than the already-released emulated versions. Sonic CD got away with it because it was only re-released twice (PC port and Gems Collection), but Sonic 1 and 2 have been re-released to death so if people are gonna buy them then they need a real incentive to.

Regardless, I'm gonna buy them and so should all of you, but I don't see them doing much better business than other ports of Sonic 1 and 2. I'm hopeful this leads to Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles Chaotix, and an all new classic Sonic game though.

#47 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

• I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Project:Art Assets for a Game Project
  • Wiki edits:2
As long as this game has smooth looking pixels, I'll definitely buy all future remasters released for the PC platform. Otherwise, I might not get it simply because the lack of sharpness would make me rather play the original games in emulated form. :/

#48 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol

View PostScarred Sun, on 26 March 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

View PostGeneHF, on 26 March 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

I posted this on Stadium, I'll post it here.

Even though this is Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 all over again, I strongly urge everyone to support this release.

Just trust me on this one.

#49 User is offline Dude 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
Sega you can has all my monies as long as you keep using that glorious tax engine. <3 <3

#50 User is offline DinnerSonic 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

• Never Posting Since 2004!
These tempt me purely because Sonic CD is the only game I've found that runs near full speed on my rather weak Android phone. I've not tried too many but most of the usual popular things are slow. The advantages of a rebuilt version like this over other things are optimization like that. Also gotta love classic Sonic in widescreen, though I wonder how a few of the bosses will handle that...

I'm betting that if Sonic 1 & 2 sell well(if, that is, it still might have to compete with fellow emulated "ports" and the like) we'll get Sonic 3 & Knuckles that "locks on" to them, perhaps even an official Knuckles in Sonic 1 or Knuckles in Sonic CD? I wonder if a Sonic 3 & Knuckles Retro Engine port would have any of the many minor tweaks the community has done, such as how Super Sonic transformations work, Jam's difficulty settings, underwater palette fixes, maybe S3Complete's new title card icons?

Though, was there this much staff going "BUY THIS" before when Sonic CD happened, both here and on the SSMB? I understand supporting a fellow Sonic community pal and general "put some actual work into ports like these" but I can't help but feel like there's something more on the line than that, be it Sonic 3 & Knuckles port, new levels, a new Retro Engine Sonic game or something else. Maybe I'm looking into things too much... either way, I'll probably pick up something, and definitely spread the word.

#51 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostKail, on 27 March 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

I'm hopeful this leads to Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles Chaotix, and an all new classic Sonic game though.
Sonic 4 Classic Edition would be nice, too.

#52 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
I'm quite interested in what bugs features will be retained in this. Though these are nice, I kinda wish for SEGA/Taxman to actually develop an original 2D title with this engine, instead of making remakes of games that have already been ported to death.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

#53 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 27 March 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

I'm quite interested in what bugs features will be retained in this. Though these are nice, I kinda wish for SEGA/Taxman to actually develop an original 2D title with this engine, instead of making remakes if games that have already been ported to death.

Who knows? Maybe if this sells well enough it could happen. :ssh:
Spoiler

#54 User is online doc eggfan 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

• The Witness of History
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k

View PostLanzer, on 26 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Even though this is Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 all over again, I strongly urge everyone to support this release.

Hmmm...theres more to this then these ports. this is a test isn't it?

It's far more serious. These will be the last Sonic games ever, just like R-Type Final - one last hurrah and then no more ever again.

#55 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15
Oh wow, I didn't realize this was already announced haha.

SEGA asked me not too long ago to go back and revamp the mobile versions of Sonic 1&2. No more emulation, these are Retro-Engine remakes.

"We've already played Sonic 1 a million times!"

I know, so have I :P But this is more about bringing the other games into line with Sonic CD (iOS will get these as an update to the existing version). I can't mention specifics, but there will be the usual improvements and (non-sexual!) fan service :ssh:

I'd like to also take this opportunity to mention Simon Thomley (Aka Stealth) has been working with me on this project. With our combined experience and different styles of "porting", this should be even more accurate than what I did alone with Sonic CD.

#56 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:MDEM - Genesis programming stufz
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostThe Taxman, on 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

I'd like to also take this opportunity to mention Simon Thomley (Aka Stealth) has been working with me on this project. With our combined experience and different styles of "porting", this should be even more accurate than what I did alone with Sonic CD.

I might just go so far as to donate plasma (me having a very bad aversion to needles of all kinds) just to be able to afford this. Seriously guys, Taxman and Stealth? I see this as Sega trying to atone for the heaping pile of shit that they called "Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis".

Knowing nothing but the contents of this thread, I reiterate what others have said. Support this release.

Also, that's the first time I ever knew Stealth's real name, haha. :P
This post has been edited by LocalH: 27 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

#57 User is offline Josh 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

• YRG Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
All right, awesome news, Taxman! Never doubted it was you, and it's wonderful that Stealth is working with you. I still remember the pride I felt in my fellow Sonic fans when he ported GHZ to the GBA, and made it way, way better than Sega had bothered to.

I have one odd request to make, though:

I can plug in a USB or bluetooth controller up to my Android devices, and Sonic CD works perfectly with them. In light of that, would it be possible to implement an option to disable the on-screen touch controls?
This post has been edited by Josh: 27 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

#58 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol

View PostThe Taxman, on 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

(iOS will get these as an update to the existing version)

But then how will I give you more of my money?

#59 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
If this makes it to the 3DS I'll bite, otherwise I have to be honest in saying I'm not so sure that I'll have much interest in this. Sonic CD made a lot of sense to me -- that game's had a bunch of ports all with their own problems (and finally we get one with a 60fps special stage) -- but it's harder to see what these have to offer.

Now, if basically all the Sonic Jam content for these games makes it into the game, though, I might reconsider.
This post has been edited by muteKi: 27 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

#60 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

• Wiki edits:136

View PostGuess Who, on 27 March 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

• 175 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users