don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03/mega-drive-classic-sonic-1-coming-to-android-sonic-2-also-planned/

So, more ports. Except they're not emulated and they're widescreen like with Sonic CD. Only an Android-specific site announced it so far. Also it's probably by Taxman.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Hopefully it will have extras like spindash and Knuckles.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Taxman, think you can give us a yes or no to that you are involved in these ports?

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/315532267302830080

This is as good as a yes so far.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If they port this to PC, I really hope the graphics are as sharp as playing these games in an emulator. I have a hard time wanting to go back to the Sonic CD release because of the lack of sharpness. :/

6. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    If it's like the Sonic CD port, it'll probably be on every device ever. At the very least, if it's on Android, it'll be on iOS. And since I'm running the Genesis emulated versions on my iPod, I'll have to rebuy the games. Also, still wait for an iOS release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    RIGHT, FIRST DETAILS. EXCLUSIVELY AT RETRO FIRST:

WIDESCREEN
    REMASTERED SOUNDTRACK (!!!)
    TIME ATTACK MODE
    SMOOTH 60 FPS

8. And of course just like with Sonic CD, I will buy it on anything I own that supports it! This is great news!

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Well...not exclusive...we posted it at Sonic Paradise around half an hour ago! They were told at Sega Press announcement PDF. Buut...you sure do know more, don't you? :ssh:

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    If there's going to be new filters I'm hoping there's going to be one like MAME's version of Sonic 2. Ever since I've come across that version I've come to dislike using the usual emulators.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Awesome. Glad to see Sega's getting some serious use out of Taxman's engine like this, especially since his version of Sonic CD is far and away the best.

Remastered soundtrack?! Perfect. Don't suppose he got Falk and the rest of the BtS audio team to be involved in that...?

12. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Can't wait for Sega to hire middlemen to cock up the home/PC ports unnecessarily and leave the glitches unfixed.

Color me entirely unenthused.

13. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Unless they drop something truly amazingly new into the games they're going to have a hard time selling them when everyone has probably already bought the existing ports.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    So when is the Steam version of Sonic CD getting the patch the mobile versions got, again

15. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Though there is nothing beyond exceptional that I'd expect from these, I'm more than glad to see Taxman (more likely than not) working on another project.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This makes my Sonic Classic 2 work seem pointless.... I must now go think about my life and my projects future ;_;

but on topic, this is fucking fantastic. I'd love to see you be able to play through all the games in sequence.

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    And speaking of which...
    [​IMG]

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Shush you.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The fact they added a variant of the unused 'Press Start Button' text leaves me thinking they might have done their work with this. The widescreen looks lush, even if the lives counter seems a bit odd up there.

Wonder if these will get the console treatment like CD did.

Time Attack is a sweet addition. Fingers crossed for expanded 2-player versus in Sonic 2.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I love the "Japanese Mega Drive" style they've used in that "flyer".

Looking forward to seeing more of this...