Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Saturn interesting finds - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sega Saturn interesting finds

#76 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
@ Meat Miracle

Moop says:

I wonder if we could plane-swap those textures in. Satourne already gives us the location of the boss floor texture, and these new things are really close to it in that "0" file...

I would like to know how Meat Miracle actually swapped the planes around, though. I'm assuming he used the memory editor and changed a couple bytes? Or was it just a copy and paste/rearranging of some hex in SCRDATA.MUS?

#77 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

• Wiki edits:2
All I did was cut half a pattern table from the end and paste it to the beginning, so the order of everything moved up by one.
For the clouds I moved around an extra table the same way. In theory, I could've edited the plane order too (it's at the start of SPRDATA.MUS), but this was way faster.

If the textures are loaded in memory, exchanging the pattern tables should get your graphics loaded. If not, they'll load but display garbage of various flavours.

#78 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

• Insert your adjective here
  • Project:Research on old 3D models
Wow, this really flared up! I'm so glad that I was at least able to spark some interest for hacking Sonic Jam. I suppose that since everything I've ever wanted to do with Jam has already been done by someone else (though I helped at times!), I'll move on to a different game in my "collection".

I have:
NiGHTS into Dreams...

Sonic R

Sonic 3D Blast

Myst

Rayman

and Sonic Jam

any suggestions on what I should attempt next?

#79 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

• Technical Artist
You could try 3D blast here. I finished all acts for the first 3 Zones, although I have not uploaded some of them yet. ( I started waiting for a no collision detection hack to make things easy to rip levels without dieing every few minutes on later levels, I guess that I forgot about the whole thing all together after awhile)
http://forums.sonicr...opic=30162&st=0

Edit: Panzer dragoon 2 would be a lovely game to look into, I wonder what kinds of goodies can be found there.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 24 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

#80 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

• Wiki edits:196
I'm kinda surprised no one has done any hacking (that I've found) of any of the Panzer Dragoon games. Actually, if there was one thing that could get me off my ass to learn hacking, it would be that franchise. Oh, and NiGHTS. And Rayman. . .

#81 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postdsrb, on 24 May 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

I'm kinda surprised no one has done any hacking (that I've found) of any of the Panzer Dragoon games. Actually, if there was one thing that could get me off my ass to learn hacking, it would be that franchise. Oh, and NiGHTS. And Rayman. . .

I don't have any of the Panzer Dragoon games....yet. I will however be heading to a convention in July, so I'll check there for Panzer Dragoon.

As for NiGHTS into Dreams and Rayman, I can load up stuff in TiledGDD with Rayman. NiGHTS into Dreams loads absolutely nothing, though I get some weird stuff in the Hex editor that I'm sure everyone already knows about. I know that SANiK released a model viewer/ripper a while back, but I can't find a mirror of it anywhere.
This post has been edited by Sonicstudium: 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

#82 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Panzer Dragoon Zwei gives you the Pandora Box which unlocks a ridiculous amount of extra options that alter the game in many ways (you want to play the game Space Harrier style, with a flying dude only?). Don't know about Panzer 1 or Saga, but 1 is kinda meh after Zwei, and Saga already has so much content inside that I wouldn't know where to begin looking for more.

Nights sucks.

#83 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

• Technical Artist
Ahh man , Panzer dragoon saga is one of my all time favorite games, I pre-orderd it. if I recall it was the second to last Sega Saturn game that came out in the US.. Man that was so long ago I may not be remembering this correctly. I know it was near the end anyways,
Magic Knight Rayearth was the last US Saturn game. When I got PD Saga there was a small crack in disk 2, it was playable at the time, but since then the crack has gotten bigger and rendered the second disk unplayable.
Back when the second Panzer game came out there was a playable demo at Toys R' Us, I have never again seen the level anywhere else.
If you make 100% kills in every level for the second game you get all the box game secrets I believe, including beta footage.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 24 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

#84 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I think my next adventure is going to involve Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies Island, and I've already noticed that the unused pictures found in the PC version are also unused in the game. Considering the load times, I think it would have at least made them more interesting if they used the pictures instead of the generic LOADING background. On the case of tiles and backgrounds, I'm doing thorough research on the files and documenting what they appear to be and do.

#85 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Hope you have better luck than I did.

#86 User is offline Yarharhar 

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS!
Port the nights levels to the superior xmas nights engine!
Get sonic playable in the other nights levels! ooOOoOo

#87 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

• Technical Artist
We have what looks to be the Metal Sonic boss background building textures here.
Posted Image Anyone interested in attempting to extract them correctly ?

#88 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostYarharhar, on 25 May 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS!
Port the nights levels to the superior xmas nights engine!
Get sonic playable in the other nights levels! ooOOoOo

Christmas NiGHTS uses the exact same engine as NiGHTS into Dreams. There's literally no difference other than the inclusion of a clock and some new menus.

#89 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

• Technical Artist
The renderer seems updated in Xmas Nights. Polygon pop in issues have been fixed.

#90 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostAndrew75, on 26 May 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

The renderer seems updated in Xmas Nights. Polygon pop in issues have been fixed.

I'm saying that the game plays identically. NiGHTS doesn't control any better in Christmas NiGHTS than in the standard release of NiGHTS.

• 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users