Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: RSDK Unpacker - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

RSDK Unpacker

#16 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

• Wiki edits:6
If anyone wants the file paths from Sonic 1, here are 70% of them, in the order they're stored in Data.rsdk.
Spoiler

Will update again when I have the rest. I figured a proper list might be nice to have for a complete extractor. This was accomplished via brute force, by harvesting the game data for strings and building paths from any it finds. There are some patterns I don't try yet, I believe Stages/Zone-- folders probably have Act/ subfolders that I don't try for yet.
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 24 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

#17 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Just thought I'd mention it here, since nobody has posted about it. The tool that ValleyBell posted on the previous page was updated to support Sonic 1 RSDK files, including encrypted files and filenames are extracted.

Well done guys.

#18 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
.. I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I run this all I get are generated empty folders, with a lot of "Could not open [[folder here]] for writing!"

Very annoying. Ah well.

#19 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Yeah... It doesn't seem to work with the android version at all. Can't even get it to extract.

#20 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

It worked for me, but I'm on OS X so I had to compile it from source.
Honestly, aside from the decryption part that ValleyBell wrote, the code is pretty messy and could use a re-write. Looking through the files, I didn't see anything we haven't already found.

#21 User is offline Mistergambit 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

• Bashers
  • Project:Luigi's Mansion - Beta Rebirth, Castlevania Bloodlines shit. a bagel
  • Wiki edits:48

View PostTanks, on 27 May 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Yeah... It doesn't seem to work with the android version at all. Can't even get it to extract.

I tried both the Android and the the iOS version on my end, and it's giving me the same issue. v1.4 keeps whining about not being able to open any file for writing. Oddly enough the earlier version (1.3)was at least able to extract the files as .bin files.

#22 User is offline ValleyBell 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

• Project:researching SMPS sound drivers
  • Wiki edits:10
He uses NetBSD and crosscompiles it for Windows and one of the functions worked differently on Windows (and stripped the actual file name off), so he didn't notice.
He just released a fixed version 1.4a that works fine.

#23 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Just tested, its working now. Great tool, glad for the fix. Now for someone to port one of their vanilla hacks. :P

#24 User is offline celebi23 

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just tried it out on the Data.rsdk.xmf from the Sonic 2 re-release & got this response:
Posted Image

#25 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

View Postcelebi23, on 12 December 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Just tried it out on the Data.rsdk.xmf from the Sonic 2 re-release & got this response:

You're doing it wrong. You forgot to specify the -3 argument for file format. It works just fine, but since he hard-coded the filenames you're not going to get all of them. Encryption does not appear to have changed since Sonic 1, although for some reason all of the strings in the iOS executable's string table are now mangled. Might be a compiler thing, because the Android build still has some.

I re-ran the brute-force tool I started on when Sonic 1 was released, (didn't bother finishing it since someone else came up with the complete list first) so here's a partial list of files. (About half of the ones listed below are not in retrun's pre-loaded list)
Spoiler

Interesting points to note:
1. There don't appear to be any extra number codes defined on Level select other than 19921124, 4126, 1124, and 000.
2. Boss Attack is a stage (expected) but there's another stage defined in the Dev menu called Egg Gauntlet. Not sure if this is related to boss attack since that has a separate entry. (Edit: See main thread game thread for this, Taxman mentioned it was cut content)

I've only done a small analysis, might look at more once I finish the game.

Edit: Updated file list above, all music files are accounted for in the list. (My brute-force tool now parses bytecode looking for the PlaySong command) Also included the "default" names that retrun will give to files that it doesn't know about, for anyone who wants to manually rename. Song 0x10 (Formerly known as "Hidden Palace") is called Extra.ogg. I'm not sure yet if I care enough to get the entire list, since I have the filenames that I was interested in.
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 15 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

#26 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Here is the level map for Egg Gauntlet. For lack of a better thread to put it.
Warning! This is a full sized image, very large:
http://www.sappharad...auntlet_map.png

Object placement exists for this level, but it is not included in this rendering.

#27 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
Is there a background too?

#28 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostRika Chou, on 14 December 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Is there a background too?

Yes, but I haven't bothered to try and render it. Here are the 128x128 chunks that are probably from the background:
Posted Image

Here is the map for Hidden Palace Zone: (Warning: Full sized)
http://www.sappharad..._palace_map.png

Interesting to note, the map for the beta Hidden Palace is also present. It is identical the map we've all seen before, they didn't change anything.

#29 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
Can the music be extracted? maybe with all those bits we can re-create it in a Mega Drive ROM, ala Robotnik's Revenge

#30 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Looking at the map, it looks like there was a secret path to bypass the MZ and WFZ bosses (to the right of MZ zone bumpers).

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users