Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 Running on a Wii Console - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 Running on a Wii Console You know, the Triforce Hardware

#1 User is offline Bartman3010 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

  • Posts: 439
  • Joined: 01-November 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Persona 4 Episodes
  • Wiki edits:96


So this gentleman, crediar has made a special loader for the Wii (Possibly Gamecube?) That allows him to be able to start Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, a game that otherwise runs on the Triforce arcade hardware. Trying to look and see if he's gotten any other games running on the Wii. Although he apparently has no intentions of releasing the starter program. Pretty interesting!

#2 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

  • Posts: 1993
  • Joined: 20-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England
  • Project:Playing Mass Effect 3 U, anyone up for some online?
  • Wiki edits:5
How awesome. This game is brilliant in the arcades, much better than Mario Kart Wii. This at least gives me hope that one day Nintendo themselves will be able to port it to home consoles if they ever feel like doing it.

#3 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

  • Sports tape == toilet paper
  • Posts: 6146
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:8
I've heard about Mario Kart GP, but have never actually seen it in action. Looks like it could be fun despite having the most annoyingly excited commentator ever. Too bad he has no intentions of releasing it as I'd love to try it out.

#4 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

  • Posts: 2456
  • Joined: 27-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Gold's Curse
  • Wiki edits:21
I remember playing Mario Kart GP awhile back at Disney World. The controls definitely felt more like a typical arcade racer adorned with a Mario theme and item blocks than it did Mario Kart, but that's understandable. :v: I always did want to see all the content the Mario Kart GP series' offered in person outside the arcades.

#5 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

  • The saber calls for its master...
  • Posts: 4855
  • Joined: 27-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
So, why is he being such a stinge when it comes to the loader? just to gloat and hang it over our (The internet) heads? because thats going to come back and bite him on the ass.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 13 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

#6 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

  • Что, вы ожидали что-то остроумное?
  • Posts: 13300
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
From what others have said, the guy apparently likes to make shit, post videos of it, then never release the actual utility - seems more of a NYAAAAHHHH I HAVE THIS YOU DON'T attitude, which is rather childish.

Still, at least it shows (if it's real) that it can be done, and that there's hope someone else can manage it as well.

#7 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

  • Sentient Cash Register
  • Posts: 2489
  • Joined: 05-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Over there
  • Wiki edits:1
That announcer is so annoying. Makes me want to play Monster Truck Madness, which actually had some pretty badass announcing; even sixteen years later it's far less irritating and better-done than most modern games with announcers.

#8 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

  • 2 warps to Neptune
  • Posts: 2197
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I would hope for sanity's sake there's an option for arcade operators to turn off the announcer. Alternatively you could play the original Mario Kart Arcade GP which doesn't seem to have one.

Shame this isn't seeing a more widespread release, though at least on the plus side there's been some big gains recently with Sega Model 3 emulation. Someone cares about preservation!

#9 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

  • FML
  • Posts: 6391
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?

View PostOverlord, on 13 May 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

From what others have said, the guy apparently likes to make shit, post videos of it, then never release the actual utility - seems more of a NYAAAAHHHH I HAVE THIS YOU DON'T attitude, which is rather childish.

Still, at least it shows (if it's real) that it can be done, and that there's hope someone else can manage it as well.


It's best to give people like this no attention. I'm sure a few queries amongst the Dolphin devs could solve this mystery.

I'd love to see F-Zero AX running on a wii though.

#10 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

  • It was a dark and stormy night...
  • Posts: 1613
  • Joined: 20-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:sitting in his nowhere land,
  • Project:making all his nowhere plans for nobody.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostCovarr, on 13 May 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

That announcer is so annoying. Makes me want to play Monster Truck Madness, which actually had some pretty badass announcing; even sixteen years later it's far less irritating and better-done than most modern games with announcers.


Monster Truck Madness's announcer still had the stilted cut-n-paste dialogue (AKA, "TRUCK NAME HERE- has won the race.") , but he had some entertaining lines and there was a good silence-to-announcing ratio, as opposed to here where the announcer is just constantly parroting the onscreen action with obviously feigned enthusiasm.

It probably helped that the guy they got to do the voice overs (Army Armstrong) actually was a prolific announcer for monster truck races at the time rather than just some guy in the office.
This post has been edited by Clutch: 16 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

#11 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

  • Sentient Cash Register
  • Posts: 2489
  • Joined: 05-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Over there
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostClutch, on 16 May 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

View PostCovarr, on 13 May 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

That announcer is so annoying. Makes me want to play Monster Truck Madness, which actually had some pretty badass announcing; even sixteen years later it's far less irritating and better-done than most modern games with announcers.


Monster Truck Madness's announcer still had the stilted cut-n-paste dialogue (AKA, "TRUCK NAME HERE- has won the race.") , but he had some entertaining lines and there was a good silence-to-announcing ratio, as opposed to here where the announcer is just constantly parroting the onscreen action with obviously feigned enthusiasm.

It probably helped that the guy they got to do the voice overs (Army Armstrong) actually was a prolific announcer for monster truck races at the time rather than just some guy in the office.

I'm well aware that it's still cut-n-paste, but they did a much smoother job with it than this game. Getting it right is mostly a matter of careful planning and voice direction, to make sure everything fits nicely together. In Monster Truck Madness, it's much harder to notice the cut-n-paste unless you're specifically listening for it; it's not nearly as disjointed and obvious as, say, every Madden game ever.

#12 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

  • Posts: 8692
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Wow, that announcer is so funny for the wrong reasons.

The whole race sounds like an commercial for a product called MAMETCHI!.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 16 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

#13 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

  • Winrar?
  • Posts: 3234
  • Joined: 08-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Project:Heroic Multimedia
  • Wiki edits:2
There's a double machine for Mario Kart GP2 in the Arcade above Paddy's Markets in Sydney. I had a go, it's really fun.
This post has been edited by Vangar: 18 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

#14 User is offline Mike Arcade 

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

  • Lives in Obscurity
  • Posts: 356
  • Joined: 26-September 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere in California
  • Project:TBA
I played the first one at a Mini Golf place and a Mall in California, really fun game! It's Mario Kart, but it has Pac-Man in it! Not to mention The Red Ghost and Ms. Pac-Man, good times in the arcade.

#15 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

  • You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Posts: 1891
  • Joined: 29-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Hunh, seeing that I'd love to see a Mario Kart for the Wii where you aim the Wiimote to choose where you fire something. Perhaps a Double Dash thing where one drives, the other aims =P

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users