Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: CPKREDIR - loading and combining mods for Sonic Generations - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

CPKREDIR - loading and combining mods for Sonic Generations New version 0.5, now for Sonic Lost World?

#76 User is offline Korama 

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yep, it is.
You might want to add controls for the new SaveFileOverride key to SonicGMI, because it's the way to play mods such as Dragon Road with your own save file instead of the mod's save file. Without disabling save file redirection, which ideally should always stay enabled.

#77 User is offline Korama 

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

So, with the release of the Sonic Generations Unleashed Project, cpkredir is put to the test like never before.
If you run into any errors, please report them here. Reproducible errors complete with test cases would be best, of course.

I've experienced a few infinite loading screens myself after quitting a stage, but so far I haven't been able to reproduce the error and track down the cause.

However, I have found and fixed a bug that prevented cpkredir from adding external files via the normal IncludeDir function when a CPK ini (bb/bb2/bb3.ini) was specified.
I'll post an update soon.

#78 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostKorama, on 22 March 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

So, with the release of the Sonic Generations Unleashed Project, cpkredir is put to the test like never before.
If you run into any errors, please report them here. Reproducible errors complete with test cases would be best, of course.

I've experienced a few infinite loading screens myself after quitting a stage, but so far I haven't been able to reproduce the error and track down the cause.

However, I have found and fixed a bug that prevented cpkredir from adding external files via the normal IncludeDir function when a CPK ini (bb/bb2/bb3.ini) was specified.
I'll post an update soon.

We determined some time ago that the infinite loading screens seem to be related to music/sound modding. As an example, JoeTE's first release of Metal Sonic had a shit-ton of music swaps and had endless loading screens incredibly often, but removing said audio changes would make it much more stable.

#79 User is offline Korama 

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostiGamr, on 22 March 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

We determined some time ago that the infinite loading screens seem to be related to music/sound modding. As an example, JoeTE's first release of Metal Sonic had a shit-ton of music swaps and had endless loading screens incredibly often, but removing said audio changes would make it much more stable.

Interesting. Is that mod still available somewhere? I could never reproduce that problem, so that bug might still exist.

In other news, mega bump. First post has been updated.

#80 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostKorama, on 11 November 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

View PostiGamr, on 22 March 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Interesting. Is that mod still available somewhere? I could never reproduce that problem, so that bug might still exist.

In other news, mega bump. First post has been updated.

It can happen on any mod that does a decent amount of sound tampering. It's never been a consistently occurring bug, though; it happens when it feels like it, and specific tracks may have a higher likelihood of triggering it when tampered with. It also may be avoidable if a mod packs its sound files as opposed to keeping them in simple folders, but I don't believe many (if any) mods have bothered to do so, so I'm uncertain.

I'm also not sure it's a problem that CPKREDIR can fix. For all we know it could be a problem inherent to the way Generations loads sound files. Thanks to some experimentation I did with SonicGMI while running the game, I know that the game's music tracks are loaded during loading screens, as opposed to things like the levels which seem to be front-loaded when the game initially starts up. For example, if you have a level mod that replaces Green Hill Zone, turning the mod off mid-game won't bring GHZ back, but will still load GHZ's music if you enter the level. I'd say that means it's safe to assume that the bug is Generations failing to load a music track and hanging on the loading screen as a result, so the question is if that's CPKREDIR's fault or the game's.

#81 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:51 PM

• All life form data, successfully copied!
  • Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
Spoiler

So yeah, as seen in this screenshot, the updated cpkredir actually seems to be ignoring any external files that aren't in the "root directory" of each cpk.

And this doesn't seem to be exclusive to Lost World either. I also tested the new cpkredir update within Generations, and it suffers from the same problem. The mod I tested in Generations had none of its files from the "languages" and "voices" folders loaded, while the numerous files that weren't in any sub-folders of each cpk loaded properly.

I have no way of knowing if this is an actual issue with cpkredir, or if it's just something happening only on my PC.
This post has been edited by Joe T.E.: 11 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

#82 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
From what I know putting it on the sonic2013_patch_0 usually makes it work and override it. But then again I'm not sure about that whole Generations side of things so maybe there is something wrong? Weird.
This post has been edited by Twilightzoney: 12 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

#83 User is offline Korama 

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:14 AM

View PostiGamr, on 11 November 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

It can happen on any mod that does a decent amount of sound tampering. It's never been a consistently occurring bug, though; it happens when it feels like it, and specific tracks may have a higher likelihood of triggering it when tampered with. It also may be avoidable if a mod packs its sound files as opposed to keeping them in simple folders, but I don't believe many (if any) mods have bothered to do so, so I'm uncertain.

Maybe the CSB files have something to do with it. Those contain lots of parameters for sound/music.

View PostJoe T.E., on 11 November 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

So yeah, as seen in this screenshot, the updated cpkredir actually seems to be ignoring any external files that aren't in the "root directory" of each cpk.

Thanks for testing, I'll look into it. Did you double-check if the settings in the mod.ini are correct?

#84 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

• All life form data, successfully copied!
  • Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)

View PostKorama, on 12 November 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

View PostJoe T.E., on 11 November 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

Thanks for testing, I'll look into it. Did you double-check if the settings in the mod.ini are correct?

Yes, the settings in both the Lost World and Generations mod.ini files are "correct."

And for the sake of example, here's the mod.ini for my Lost World Mod.
Spoiler

It's basically the same as the one used by the Generations mod I tested, but with the various description texts changed. The Generations mod has not had its mod.ini changed since last month, and had all of its files loaded perfectly before I placed the new cpkredir.dll into my Generations folder. Files that aren't in each cpk's root folder began failing to load after placing the new cpkredir.dll into my Generations folder.

I also just tested the Unleashed Project with the new cpkredir.dll, since it uses additional .ini files to load specific files, and it too isn't having the files from its Languages folders loaded.
This post has been edited by Joe T.E.: 12 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

#85 User is offline Korama 

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostJoe T.E., on 12 November 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Yes, the settings in both the Lost World and Generations mod.ini files are "correct."

Indeed. It was a dumb mistake on my part. Just before release I changed a bit of code for debugging purposes, and forgot to change it back again.
Should work again now, please get the fixed cpkredir.dll from the download.

#86 User is offline Shade Vortex 

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

• The Black Vortex
  • Project:Twitch Streams
So after a lot of trial and error, I fixed the problem I was having with this (that I mentioned in the Lost World PC hacking thread). To give a summary of my experience... I'll just say do not use Avast antivirus or pretty much none of Korama's programs work correctly. Seems Avast doesn't like programs coded in Delphi.

Now for me to wait for the Lost World modding scene to take off so I can make more use of the modloader I use (which is the hacked version of GMI, since I was having trouble with this program).

#87 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:09 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults

View PostShade Vortex, on 02 December 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

So after a lot of trial and error, I fixed the problem I was having with this (that I mentioned in the Lost World PC hacking thread). To give a summary of my experience... I'll just say do not use Avast antivirus or pretty much none of Korama's programs work correctly. Seems Avast doesn't like programs coded in Delphi.
Huh, I use Avast, and it never game me any problems with this. Antivirus is weird, sometimes.

#88 User is offline Korama 

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

Avast has a known bad track record with Delphi applications. It appears to detect false positives for all of them once every year or so (some examples: 2009, 2013 a, 2013 b, 2015). However, in Shade Vortex' case, the issue was much weirder. Avast didn't show any warnings (and according to virustotal.com it didn't even detect any false positives), but somehow "choked" on my programs, preventing their execution while keeping them dead in memory until the next reboot.
This post has been edited by Korama: 03 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

#89 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

It's definitely Avast. My desktop crashed when I tried to update cpkredir, but here's a quick solution:
Right click avast on your taskbar, hover over Avast shields control, then click turn off for ten minutes. In this time patch the Lost World exe with cpkredir.
Zoney's GMI edit was crashing for me but for some reason it works now as well after I updated cpkredir and added an exclusion for Lost World's folder (not sure if adding an exclusion made the difference). So if GMI or cpkredir isn't working for you, try that.

#90 User is offline Arcieo 

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

• Project:Adabat Adventure Pack mod
On some PCs, if you use new cpkredir with SonicGMI 1.1 and in mod.ini file you list "IncludeDir0="./mods/*mod folder*" instead of IncludeDir0=".", then the game refuse to load a lot of files, including #Application.ar.00. If you want, I can contact you and provide needed info.
This post has been edited by Arcieo: 21 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users