Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Russian pirate originals for MD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Russian pirate originals for MD Mario 3, Mario Galaxy 4 and Ben 10

#1 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1

You can find the Ben 10 video through the guys channel. You guys really should allow more than two links at a time =P

Someone pointed these out on Sega 16 today. Plus some guys there apparently say they've had them for awhile yet they've never bothered saying anything until now. :rolleyes: But anyway, who would have guessed there's still real original titles being made, and from Russia who seems to only so far have been able to show us how many games they can hack with a new title screen or sprite. Too bad they both seem to be exactly the same, and even Ben 10 which is a beat 'em up looks to still use the same engine :(
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 30 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

#2 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:Cooling Down At The Beach
  • Wiki edits:10
Very nice music... what games did they rip it from? :v:

Either way, Mega Drive pirates have always fascinated me, it's great to hear more keep a coming!

#3 User is offline Sik 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostFlygon, on 30 April 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Very nice music... what games did they rip it from? :v:
Some of those are taken straight from the examples bundled with TFM Maker - though it does seem they found some extra tunes elsewhere because there are two variants of the Mario theme there and those definitely are not bundled with TFM Maker.

#4 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

• Project:selling shoes
Doesn't surprise me, they all really reek of being something made by a single programmer than a pirate company. =P

#5 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
If only they had put a little bit more effort into the development of these, then I'd actually consider buying them. :X

#6 User is offline Sik 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostLobotomy, on 01 May 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

If only they had put a little bit more effort into the development of these, then I'd actually consider buying them. :X
Would "adding acceleration" count as enough? :v: I seriously have no idea why so many starting programmers seem to completely forget that, it isn't even remotely complex (literally just an addition and a check for the speed cap) and it adds a lot to the gameplay.

#7 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

• art.
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Russia have a secret Mega Drive homebrew community. But just like Sonic Megamix here, others feel the need to put the games on actual cartridges and sell them on eBay or whatever. It's unlikely to be a company producing this stuff.

There's New Super Mario Bros. graphics in there so this at least means it was created after 2006.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 01 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

#8 User is offline Sik 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 01 May 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

There's New Super Mario Bros. graphics in there so this at least means it was created after 2006.
"Super Mario Galaxy 4", so at least 2007 actually =P

#9 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
Are these games letterboxed, or is the TV cropping them? It's a bit odd that a MegenesisDrive game would be outputting 16:9 natively, but they don't look at all stretched.

#10 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:Cooling Down At The Beach
  • Wiki edits:10
I don't see it being entirely impractical to try out anamorphic widescreen on a Mega Drive game. I can see it being a huge headache for the artist, and for people with 4:3 TV's, however.

#11 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94

View PostSik, on 01 May 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

View PostLobotomy, on 01 May 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

Would "adding acceleration" count as enough? :v: I seriously have no idea why so many starting programmers seem to completely forget that, it isn't even remotely complex (literally just an addition and a check for the speed cap) and it adds a lot to the gameplay.

Acceleration, gravity that isn't terrible, air drag and deceleration. That's about it.

#12 User is offline Sik 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostLobotomy, on 02 May 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Acceleration, gravity that isn't terrible, air drag and deceleration. That's about it.
Them all counted as part of it =P (gravity in games is technically vertical acceleration towards down, for example)

#13 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:MDEM - Genesis programming stufz
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostFlygon, on 02 May 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I don't see it being entirely impractical to try out anamorphic widescreen on a Mega Drive game. I can see it being a huge headache for the artist, and for people with 4:3 TV's, however.

It wouldn't be that much of a headache, if we had image editors designed for pixel art that can correct for aspect ratio difference on display (and thus letting one create the art "naturally"). Photoshop has aspect ratio correction but it sucks for anything other than converting images to a format that can then be converted to MD tiles.

It wouldn't be a headache for people with 4:3 TVs at all. If the game is small enough, include art assets for both assets (as well as tables or other data involving horizontal coordinates) and include an option that switches between the two sets of data. If the game uses up too much ROM, just make separate 4:3 and 16:9 ROMs.

#14 User is offline Sik 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostLocalH, on 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

It wouldn't be a headache for people with 4:3 TVs at all. If the game is small enough, include art assets for both assets (as well as tables or other data involving horizontal coordinates) and include an option that switches between the two sets of data. If the game uses up too much ROM, just make separate 4:3 and 16:9 ROMs.
The problem would be that a 4:3 tile has a different size on screen from a 16:9 tile, and you know that everything is made out of tiles... This could be a huge headache when it comes to the tilemaps. Also say bye-bye to all power-of-two optimizations.

It's probably just being stretched by the TV for no real reason... All widescreen TVs can show 4:3 images with padding at the sides as far as I know (or trimming the top and bottom, if you can deal with that), so this may be just somebody using a dumb setting.

#15 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:MDEM - Genesis programming stufz
  • Wiki edits:3
I get what they're saying, though. Those blocks and Goombas don't appear to be stretched any more than they normally are on a 256px wide 4:3 display.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users