Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Summer of Sonic 2012 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Summer of Sonic 2012 7th July, The Hove Centre, Brighton

#1 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

• Cat-herder
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Figured I'd stick a thread here so everyone's on the same page with regards to ordering tickets, bearing in mind how small the window of opportunity was last year (like, 5 hours):

http://www.summerofs...ion-and-tickets

* For 2012, we're expecting a huge turnout – we're looking at venues that can hold at least 2000 people – and as a result it is becoming harder to secure a definitive location in central London. To add to the pressure that we're facing this year, the Olympics are taking place in London, which means that travel could well be impacted if we hosted Summer of Sonic in as central a place as we have done in the past. This is why we have been looking at venues that are located in the Greater London area instead. We have a candidate that we would love to tell you about right now, but sadly we need to lock a few things down on our side before we can talk further about it. But, as a heads up, you shouldn't be surprised if the venue we announce isn't within the centre of London. What does this mean if you've already booked travel plans (I.e. flights) or hotels within London? Essentially, nothing. The Summer of Sonic team and SEGA have gone all-out to ensure that any venue we pick is within jumping distance of central London, with easy and accessible travel links from both the centre of the capital and Heathrow and Gatwick airports. If you're planning to travel to London to spend a vacation, Summer of Sonic will just be a brief train journey away from the capital at best.
* The Summer of Sonic will be completely ticketed this year. In the past, we've allowed a queue to form for those without early-access tickets, so that as many people can enjoy the day as possible. As SoS gets bigger, it's now unfeasible to do this. So you will need a ticket for entry. If you don't get a ticket, you won't be allowed in. Sorry.
* Tickets will be offered in waves. We have yet to decide how to split the numbers, or how many waves there will be. Once we have announced the venue, we will be revealing dates where you can grab a ticket for entry.
* Contrary to what you might have heard, tickets for entry to Summer of Sonic 2012 will be free. All you need to worry about is getting your lovely selves down to the venue. Which we will announce very soon (I know – I'm sorry!).

This was posted 6 days ago - only noticed it today. =P

#2 User is offline Nova 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

• Aim for the top!
  • Wiki edits:17
Shit's gonna be tiiiiight, son!

I, as you can probably tell, am already psyched. Every year is better than the last and how the hell they can make it better than last year is beyond me.
I reccommend interested parties share as much contact information as possible, so that as soon as tickets go up, we can all jump on it.

Regarding accomodation, I know no concrete venue has been set yet but once that's changed, if anyone finds a decent, cheap-ish hotel with a good amount of vacancies, let us all know. Being in the same place = cool, particularly for the following Sunday.

#3 User is offline Blanche Hodapp 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

• *urp*
  • Wiki edits:120
Now that I'm going back to a steady shift pattern I might be able to plan this in advance. You know, as soon as they've set a date for it.

Of course it might be the same thing as last year, where I end up in the pub all day :V

#4 User is offline H Hog 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

• The Ultimate Oswald!
  • Project:Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
  • Wiki edits:32
My girlfriend (one of last year's Tails cosplayers, the one with the full-body outfit) and I are totally planning to be there again this year. =o
Having a paired-up cosplay in mind as well, gettin kind of psyched!!
I believe Roger van der Weide (aka "Rogerregorroger", the IMP guy) might be attending as well.

#5 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Really looking forward to it, hope I get tickets as last year ended up crap/a total waste of time for me 'cause I missed the tickets...

After about 2hours and 30 odd minutes queueing in the sweltering heat, me and my girlfriend gave up, went to get food at the Hard Rock...then went to sheperds bush (close to the prior year's venue) to a concert we got tickets for (which we had planned to go to after the convention) - Cinderella...awesome classic rock band! (seeing them live was the up side to the day)

#6 User is offline Nova 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

• Aim for the top!

View PostH Hog, on 23 April 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

My girlfriend (one of last year's Tails cosplayers, the one with the full-body outfit) and I are totally planning to be there again this year. =o
I believe Roger van der Weide (aka "Rogerregorroger", the IMP guy) might be attending as well.

Was she the one with the Tornado backpack?
Some of the costumes last year were awesome - not that cosplay's my thing, but you can't help but be impressed by some of them. :v:

#7 User is offline Malpass 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

• Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992.
  • Wiki edits:20

View PostBlanche Hodapp, on 23 April 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Now that I'm going back to a steady shift pattern I might be able to plan this in advance. You know, as soon as they've set a date for it.

It's gonna be July the 7th, apparently.

Assuming I can get tickets, I'm more than up for this!

#8 User is offline Narstyle 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

• Project:Android Developments
Definitely heading to this again this year. Should be able to hang around a bit longer too. Nova, if you find out before myself when the tickets are available or what not, let me know on Facebook or something so I don't miss out. Same goes for any awesome deals on accommodation.

#9 User is offline Blanche Hodapp 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

• *urp*
  • Wiki edits:120

View PostMalpass, on 23 April 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

It's gonna be July the 7th, apparently.

Looks like I'm off that weekend! Of course it's still a couple of months away and things might change...

#10 User is offline Nova 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

• Aim for the top!

View PostNarstyle, on 24 April 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Definitely heading to this again this year. Should be able to hang around a bit longer too. Nova, if you find out before myself when the tickets are available or what not, let me know on Facebook or something so I don't miss out. Same goes for any awesome deals on accommodation.

I will do, as long as you promise 'a bit longer' means more than 60 measly minutes! =P
This post has been edited by Nova: 24 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

#11 User is offline Kojichao 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

• Mmm... That's hot... Slurpee action!
  • Project:ORIGINAL Project Shadow S2 hack: More Than A Memory
Whoo! o.o I wish I could goto onna these. XD I bet it'd be a blast!

Too bad, as far as I know, there isn't a US or Canadian type of event like this. XP I'd be there in an instant.

What kind of things happen there?

#12 User is online Neowl 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

• A rather dapper Owl indeed!
  • Project:SAIL HATAN, and also performing necromancy on feelsgoodman

View PostKojichao, on 24 April 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Whoo! o.o I wish I could goto onna these. XD I bet it'd be a blast!

Too bad, as far as I know, there isn't a US or Canadian type of event like this. XP I'd be there in an instant.

What kind of things happen there?

There's Sonic Boom in America, you might want to check the thread made for it right here.

As for this years Summer of Sonic, I should be able to make it this year, funds weren't on my side last year which was a real shame, but this year is a completely different story. Was great meeting some of you guys at SoS 2010, would be cool to see you guys again, and to have a day full of Sonic-WIN.

#13 User is offline Narstyle 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

• Project:Android Developments

View PostNova, on 24 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostNarstyle, on 24 April 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I will do, as long as you promise 'a bit longer' means more than 60 measly minutes! =P

Of course, with the death of Trocodero, and not much in terms of stuff to do in London, especially with the likes of the olympics going on, I shalt be wandering off on adventures in such a hurry this year. I would however have a request though in the opportunity to see the countdown clock at Trafalgar square. Although depending on plans and such, this can be done on the sunday and what not if sufficient accommodation plans are sorted. :P

#14 User is offline H Hog 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

• The Ultimate Oswald!
  • Project:Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
  • Wiki edits:32

View PostNova, on 23 April 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostH Hog, on 23 April 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Was she the one with the Tornado backpack?
Some of the costumes last year were awesome - not that cosplay's my thing, but you can't help but be impressed by some of them. :v:

Naw, I said full-body, the Tornado one had her face still exposed. =P
Steph's the one that visibly modeled her costume after the "Impact Innovations" Classic Tails plush, and brought a remote control prop.
(EDIT: Might be easier if I just link a pic instead of being all cryptic. XD http://sassi16.devia...-time-205269412 )

And yeah, definitely. It's gonna be my first attempt at it as well this year, but it's not going to be anyone... expected. =P
This post has been edited by H Hog: 01 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

#15 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
SoS is a lot more accessible to me than Boom is, since I have family in London and can justify a flight to the UK to see them as well as attend this event. Sadly...that's probably not going to happen this year :E
This post has been edited by AerosolSP: 02 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

• 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users