Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Green Hill Zone Adventure 1.10 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Green Hill Zone Adventure 1.10 GENERATIONS EDITION

#1 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

• Cat-herder
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Remember that #retro discussion on November the 30th 2010, that opened the topic I posted last year for GHZ Adventure? Specifically, 2 lines of it?

[23:10:59] <@Overlord> "You are a giant blue hedgehog. You are standing in a green leafy pasture. A MOTOBUG is visible in the distance. Exits are RIGHT only. What do you do?"
[23:11:10] <%Caitlin> "Hold right and win"

Hm. There's an idea. =P

So I was pondering a while ago while playing Sonic Generations that while Classic Sonic has the existing GHZ Adventure as a text adventure game, no-one's done anything for Modern. Let's fix that!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG IN: GREEN HILL ZONE ADVENTURE 1.10 - GENERATIONS EDITION

New features:

* Play as Modern Sonic, with a brand new storyline!
* Modern Sonic has new moves available at his disposal that Classic does not - Boost, Slide and Homing Attack your way through the level!
* Quick Time Events (sort of)!
* A hidden surprise for those who get to the end, as Modern, with 50 Rings...
* Some more Easter Eggs!
* For those who missed it the first time or just want to again, you can still play as Classic Sonic in the original 1.0 version of GHZ Adventure, with a couple of bug fixes since the last release.
* Also like the first release, the game still features no DRM whatsoever! In fact, GHZ:A is GPLv3!

Just like last time, you have a single goal - get Sonic to the end of the level and get the highest possible score. Collect rings, break open itemboxes, defeat badniks, fly into a massive pile of rings - it's all here, with a few tiny alterations to make it workable as a text adventure game.

I'd also like to thank ScarredSun for giving me the idea for the surprise, from her initial Retro wiki entry of Green Hill Zone Adventure. :) I'd actually thought about adding this even before the Modern idea came up - the extra character just adds a bit more content as a bonus. =P

SCREENSHOT!

Posted Image

Same installation notes as before:

* If you're on Windows and don't have Python installed, you'll want this one: http://overlord.digi...hza-110-exe.rar - download the RAR, extract the contents, and run the ghza.exe. Don't extract the zip that's inside the RAR - this will stop the interpreter working. It runs on Windows 7 with no issues I could see on the machine I tried it on - however if you're on an earlier OS you may need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) - there's a link on this page to the SP1 version, don't get that one. It contains the wrong version of MSVCR90.dll for this. I wouldn't bother with this unless you see a MSVCR90.dll error, though.

* If you're on Windows and DO have Python installed, are running Linux, or are a Macfag, you will want/need this one: http://overlord.digi...ca/ghza-110.rar - download, extract all, run ui.pyw. It's built against Python 2.6, also note you will need wxPython installed.

#2 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132
Posted Image

That's all :v:

#3 User is offline Miles Prower 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

• Renard
  • Project:HRA
  • Wiki edits:1
Derp.

#4 User is offline Hez 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
The graphics are beautiful

#5 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

• Cat-herder
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Note - if you're having problems with it belching out an error on non-Windows systems along the lines of "UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xa9 in position 43: invalid start byte" , do a find and replace on ui.pyw & backend.py for © to ( C ) - seems there's an encoding issue with non-default-ASCII I didn't spot due to not testing on a Linux box. >_> Removing the copyright symbol fixes this.

#6 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Helix, NASF DX, Sonic Overture
Obvious exits are North, South, and Dennis.
Get ye flask.
Ye can't get ye flask.

#7 User is offline Crasher 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

• Why hello there!
This is awesome. Currently past first act.

Edit: Edited to not spoil it for people :P
This post has been edited by Crasher: 31 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

#8 User is offline Relick 

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

• Project:C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
  • Wiki edits:5
Damn, that pesky egg-mobile :/

Well at least it wasn't just 'boost' to win. :P

#9 User is offline Miles Prower 

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

• Renard
  • Project:HRA
> boost

"WOO!"

Quick Time Event! Type in 'xro' to pass!

This. Is. Awesome. :v:

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users