Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 HD Alpha release

#616 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

• Can read AND play piano
Posted Image

I'm not mad, I'm just bemused. I mean I'm not exactly a genius programmer, but I can't see a good reason why this would be needed in the first place. It would be good for everyone if this was cleared up quickly.

#617 User is offline Falk 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

btw I'm also uninstalling Fraps because it starts recording video when I press F9 regardless of whether the Fraps window is in focus or not. WTF man

don't expect any more gaming videos from me.

#618 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostGuess Who, on 10 April 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Yeah, the point I'm making is that even describing it as a keylogger is overstating it. It's most likely just a bug (or design flaw or whatever) with how the game reads keyboard input.

I not a programmer but from my perspective that just sounds like bullshit. I'm not saying what you are saying is but the excuse sounds too convenient.
This post has been edited by steveswede: 10 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

#619 User is offline roxahris 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

• Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it.
  • Project:Doing anything at all
  • Wiki edits:30

View Poststeveswede, on 10 April 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I not a programmer
Then you not qualified to talk.

#620 User is offline P3DR0 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

• :3
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog (the OVA Fan Game)
Malicious or not, it's unnecessary, it's unethical and probably ilegal as well. Also what prevents the next version of the game from acessing the data that's beeing recorded and using it for malicious treats? As far as I'm concerned nobody has dissecated the keylogger to know what kind of data it keeps track of.
Not even the folks that worked with LOst for the past few months knew about this (or at least that's what they say), who knows? As far as I'm concerned LOst can be the devil himself and right now can be sitting on the a first class seat of an airplane with the destination to Costa Rica drinking dry Martini that he bought with the creditcards numbers that he got from the members using his keylogger.

Before the shitstorm: I'm exagerating, of course. But the lack of a proper explanation of the team members and LOst himself is really weird in my opinion.
This post has been edited by P3DR0: 10 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

#621 User is offline Energy 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostCaniad Bach, on 10 April 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

I'm not mad, I'm just bemused. I mean I'm not exactly a genius programmer, but I can't see a good reason why this would be needed in the first place. It would be good for everyone if this was cleared up quickly.

There are better ways to handle keyboard input - I don't think it's that clear cut...
My theory is that this is part of the online mode that was talked about, so that they recorded exactly what was pressed to get the time that you got. A way to weed out tools and hacks so that only legititmate times appear on the scoreboard. Still the code should not be there is such a mode is not included.

#622 User is offline Falk 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

<Guess_Who> ahhhh
<Guess_Who> if you use directinput and a 360 controller
<Guess_Who> it responds when out of focus
* TimmiT has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 121 seconds)
<Guess_Who> but it only happens with directinput, not raw keyboard input

Until further information is uncovered please refrain from entering passwords or bank account information with your 360 gamepads, even when S2HD is out of focus. I'll update this post with more information as it becomes available.

#623 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
Honestly, whether or not it is functional or actually transmits data is somewhat irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it is there in the first place, and could be used in some form or fashion in the future by someone who both knows of its existence and what to do with it. The fact it exists in the first place is malicious enough.

#624 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2

View Poststeveswede, on 10 April 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

View PostGuess Who, on 10 April 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Yeah, the point I'm making is that even describing it as a keylogger is overstating it. It's most likely just a bug (or design flaw or whatever) with how the game reads keyboard input.

I not a programmer but from my perspective that just sounds like bullshit. I'm not saying what you are saying is but the excuse sounds too convenient.

This is literally all that happens: Open Sonic 2 HD. Start the game. Switch to another window. Press the jump key while the other window is in focus. Sonic jumps. And this only happens if you use DirectInput (with raw keyboard input enabled, the game does not respond when out of focus), leading me to believe it's just a bug with how DirectInput is implemented. Extrapolating this behavior into "LOst is spying on us!" is a massive stretch.

#625 User is offline SteelBrush 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

• 603e
  • Project:Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
Everyone needs to unknot their panties and take three deep breaths. I doubt the code had malicious intentions but in this age of the criminal internet hacker and the hysteria that surrounds them, it was retarded to include such a feature.

#626 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostSteelBrush, on 10 April 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Everyone needs to unknot their panties and take three deep breaths. I doubt the code had malicious intentions but in this age of the criminal internet hacker and the hysteria that surrounds them, it was retarded to include such a feature.

I will never trust anything by LOst regardless again. Especially the amount of trouble this has caused the entire fanbase. Anyone in the position of employement would be having their god damn asses sued to kingdom kong by everything imaginable facing jail time, fines, and loss of employement.

#627 User is offline Vaiz 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

• these beats are too strict.
  • Project:Internet.
  • Wiki edits:92
If this was all a huge misunderstanding and some side effect of harmless input methods, why hasn't LOst said anything to explain himself.

Aside from being an egotistic prick who probably feel like he doesn't have to justify shit to fuck.

#628 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostVaiz, on 10 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

If this was all a huge misunderstanding and some side effect of harmless input methods, why hasn't LOst said anything to explain himself.

Because LOst rarely posts here anyway. He don't give a fuck.
This post has been edited by Guess Who: 10 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

#629 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostVaiz, on 10 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Aside from being an egotistic prick who probably feel like he doesn't have to justify shit to fuck.

That's the other part of the problem. I'm suprised that I haven't threaten his life over that. Yeah, seriousily.

#630 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostChibisteven, on 10 April 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostSteelBrush, on 10 April 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

I will never trust anything by LOst regardless again. Especially the amount of trouble this has caused the entire fanbase. Anyone in the position of employement would be having their god damn asses sued to kingdom kong by everything imaginable facing jail time, fines, and loss of employement.

Not unless it's an actual functioning keylogger though. But it would certainly insta-fail the standards test on Steam or any other console submissions scheme. Right now, there are 3 features which may or may not be related, but together make the game look very suss to malware detection software:

- Writing values to registry
- Code obfuscation
- Input detected regardless of window focus

If there is no malicious intent though, (which you would hope in this community) I'm surprised the whole "virus detected" issue hasn't been dealt with apart from "just download it, it's fine". I wouldn't want anyone thinking my product was dubious.
This post has been edited by The Taxman: 10 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

• 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users