Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic 2 HD Alpha release

#31 User is offline diplomacydog 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

• What did I just read?
  • Project:No :(

View PostVolpino, on 27 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Oh...
My...
GOD!!!

*SPOILER ALERT*

I... I love you guys so much.
\

but...but...how

#32 User is online Super Napalm 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

• Project:Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
Well I guess hell froze over. Yep, was one of those that thought a release would never come, thanks for proving me wrong :)

Yeh, physics need work, still better than anything else Sonic related I've played in a long while

#33 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
Well, that didn't take long.

GerbilSoft,
I guarantee that the code was obfuscated just as you imply very intentionally. Whether or not it was for the reasons you outlined, only one person on the staff knows for certain. I don't have an answer for you on that, and I doubt I will. Bear in mind that I'm not trying to be snarky with you. There were more than a few sacrifices made on our team prior to release to get what you're seeing into your hands, and there are still things the project's leadership isn't happy with. But we made it our priority to have a playable game get out as soon as we possibly could.

#34 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:158

View PostCanned Karma, on 27 March 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well, that didn't take long.

GerbilSoft,
I guarantee that the code was obfuscated just as you imply very intentionally. Whether or not it was for the reasons you outlined, only one person on the staff knows for certain. I don't have an answer for you on that, and I doubt I will. Bear in mind that I'm not trying to be snarky with you. There were more than a few sacrifices made on our team prior to release to get what you're seeing into your hands, and there are still things the project's leadership isn't happy with. But we made it our priority to have a playable game get out as soon as we possibly could.

It was definitely for reason #2 (DRM), as demonstrated by Guess Who's anti-hacking screenshot. (By the way, no licensing information is included with the S2HD download. The disclaimer screen on startup is not valid, since the S2HD team does not legally own the rights to the engine, since it's based on reverse-engineered code that was definitely not clean-room, and beyond that, Sonic is trademarked.)

Honestly, this should be taken as an insult by everyone who contributed anything to the reverse-engineering efforts for Sonic 2 for Mega Drive, since it takes without giving back while under the guise of a "community project". I know that you weren't involved with this decision, but that also shows that you're allowing that one person to ruin the entire project for everyone. Poisonous people like this need to be handled responsibly.

On a sidenote, glibc development nearly ground to a halt due to the poisonous actions of one specific Red Hat developer. (No one who goes here; just not naming names.) He's no longer working at Red Hat, and glibc development has picked up quite a bit: https://lwn.net/Articles/488778/
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 27 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

#35 User is offline Josh 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

• YRG Warrior
I'm rendering a video now, to show those who can't run it.

#36 User is offline scanline99 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Visuals Director
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD

View PostTrunks, on 27 March 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

The physics aren't perfect, the layouts aren't a hundred percent accurate, and there's some creative liberties taken, but I'd say this is exactly what I'd hope for from an HD remake.

Thanks for the kind words there Trunks :), it's been a long, long road to get here, but it's nice you can all sit down and enjoy it (albeit briefly).

Curious to see an example or two of where the layout isn't quite accurate and if this presents a serious issue to a typical playthrough? Not a witch hunt or anything, just would like to know - LOst would certainly be interested to hear back on that one as well as on the physics (which are based on Sonic 3's).
This post has been edited by scanline99: 27 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

#37 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
Oh god, now I really can't wait for more.

I hope I didn't expose anything too secret, I just looked in the manual. ;3 I have some feedback regarding
Spoiler
Also, I really hope that
Spoiler

Cannot wait to see the special stages, I was so disappointed when I hit a starpost and nothing happened.

I just want to say that S2HD was originally why I came to Retro, I originally wanted to join in 2009 but was too afraid that I wasn't mature or good enough at art to be taken seriously, then I joined in 2010 so that I could give feedback, I am really happy you guys pulled something together.
This post has been edited by Volpino: 27 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

#38 User is offline Josh 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

• YRG Warrior
In my gameplay video you'll see an example of the layout being a little off. There's a ring box on a floating platform in act 2 that I don't _think_ is normally there, or I just spin through it ordinarily.

The physics do feel slightly off, as well. At one point at the beginning of the game I did a spin dash and tried to jump over the first mini-ramp. I didn't get enough air, which was my fault I believe, but I hit the ramp at a 90-degree angle. My momentum was conserved and I ran off the top of the ramp at full speed. :D

Nitpicking, of course. This game is absolutely beautiful! As has been said, take all the time you need to achieve this level of quality, and if it comes out for Sonic's 25th anniversary I think everyone will be fine with that.

EDIT: Yeah, now that I look, that ring box is on a moving floating platform, which I don't think could happen in the original engine. Also, spindashing into the speed-up at the start of act 2 didn't cause me to uncurl like I normally do.
This post has been edited by Josh: 27 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

#39 User is offline Falk 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostOSM, on 27 March 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Anyone care to make a little playthrough video for those of us who can't play this?

Some thoughts (of which may be derp-obvious, my apologies in advance if so)

1) Music is way too loud.
2) wav? Really? D:
3) The way alternating sprites are implemented (I.e. rolling/shields/etc) suffers the usual issue of only one set or the other displaying when the framerate is cut in half (as is common with I.e. Youtube encodes of 60FPS games). A workaround is to alternate 1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-etc so that a straight cut in half will still display both sets of sprites.
4) I still hold the opinion that the remake should re-generate the sounds in a way that is true to the source material, but not limited to sounding like simple FM (which they are). Best example I can think of is Classic Sonic's jump in Generations.
5) The jingles (invincibility, etc) invoke a short loading pause. No reason this should happen. :(

edit: To elaborate on 3

The problem is, for example, sonic's rolling sprites display as ball-curled-ball-curled-ball-curled-ball-curled. When FPS is cut in half, the resultant footage displays ball-ball-ball-ball or curled-curled-curled-curled.
The workaround is to display 1 frame of ball, 2 frames of curled, 2 frames of ball, 1 frame of curled, 1 frame of ball, 2 frames of curled, 2 frames of ball, etc. Which yields ball-curled-curled-ball-ball-curled-ball-curled-curled-ball-ball-etc. When cut in half, you get ball-curled-ball-curled-curled-ball-etc.

And no, I'm not trolling.

edit2: p.s. I can't be the only one who owned myself with the ring monitor. :(
This post has been edited by Falk: 27 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

#40 User is offline DustArma 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

• Project:Learning Python.

View PostJosh, on 27 March 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

In my gameplay video you'll see an example of the layout being a little off. There's a ring box on a floating platform in act 2 that I don't _think_ is normally there, or I just spin through it ordinarily.

It shouldn't be.

Posted Image

#41 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2
Did I mention there's no license agreement shown at the startup?

Posted Image

Nor anywhere in the manual or readme?

#42 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16

View Postdiplomacydog, on 27 March 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Oh...
My...
GOD!!!

*SPOILER ALERT*

\

but...but...how

*coughlookinthemanualcough*

#43 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:158
Besides the previous issues, I did notice one thing from the Readme: Fullscreen mode is only available if you're using "Full HD". Why is this arbitrary limitation in place? From my experience in graphics programming, the difference between fullscreen and windowed is merely specifying one or the other. Everything else is the same.

Also, is there a way I could force the game to use OpenGL mode? I'm assuming it's using D3D9 with Shader Model 3 by default, which is why it's not running in Wine.

#44 User is offline diplomacydog 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

• What did I just read?
  • Project:No :(

View PostVolpino, on 27 March 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

View Postdiplomacydog, on 27 March 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Oh...
My...
GOD!!!

*SPOILER ALERT*

\

but...but...how

*coughlookinthemanualcough*

cough cough found it cough feel stupid now cough

#45 User is offline Josh 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

• YRG Warrior
I'm wondering what other easter eggs might be in the game.

By the way, for those too lazy for PDF files, you can play as Tails by clearing the game then holding B+Start on the title screen. He's functionally identical to Sonic, as in Sonic 2 Classic.

I cleared it as him, then tried C+Start on a whim, to no avail.

And yeah... I guess the boxes on the moving platforms are just showing off an engine change.

How has NOBODY talked about the credits? That looks like some kinda crazy massively multiplayer race mode! WANT.

• 66 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users