Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Sonic 2 HD Alpha release

#271 User is offline CorralSummer 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 01-November 11
  • Gender:Male
In my opinion the art style is perfect for an HD version of Sonic 2. The style that a few people seem to want would fit better in a project more like Sonic Generations.
The way it is now you can clearly recognize everything as what it was in the original, but clearly more than a simple trace was used. From what I see they're preserving the style of the original but adding more too it. I have no idea what a MSSA filter is, but most filters make things look blurry and this doesn't look blurry at all. Plus just look at Sonic, he looks more like the official art than the in game sprite.


By the way, how long will it take to make the rest of the game? I'm not expecting anything for a while now, but I don't want to wait five years for the rest of the game, at that point I think I'd lose interest.


EDIT: Eew, that picture looks ugly P3DR0. I think you should get glasses if you think that looks like Sonic 2 HD.
This post has been edited by CorralSummer: 29 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

#272 User is offline Steven M 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: 05-January 07

View PostCerulean Nights, on 29 March 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

99% of people agree this is the best looking Sonic game that they've ever played, and you're more than welcome to disagree.


Is Sonic Fan Remix still a thing or did they put that project on ice?

#273 User is offline HeartAttack 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

  • is a smug hipster, brah!
  • Posts: 567
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostP3DR0, on 29 March 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostCerulean Nights, on 29 March 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

I honestly don't find any of these criticisms offensive. We made a game that we are proud of, and nothing you guys can complain about will change that fact as much as you'd like to think you can. 99% of people agree this is the best looking Sonic game that they've ever played, and you're more than welcome to disagree.
And I'm the arrogant prick. Also 99%? You really think that Sonic 2 Anti-Aliased Version is really better looking than Sonic Fan Remix, Mecha Madness, Sonic GDK's project, Emerald Ties Crossing Fates, Sonic Time Twisted, etcetera? Wow are you that blind by your pride? I mean, it's cool that you've busted your ass off to put this thing together, but seriously? 99%? Or even 70%? For the same game that we've seen 20 years ago?
But I guess you're right, this game is really gorgeous, I mean I took a screenshot and just stare it for the last I dunno, twenty minutes or so...

Posted Image

Look, isn't that just beauti-- Oh wait a minute.

Quote

It's just a shame you aren't able to do it with a bit more tact.

It's just a shame you aren't able to accept criticism with a bit more tact.


View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostRobjoe, on 29 March 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Quote

So, like, apparently you missed the entire point of the S2HD project. It's about a FAITHFUL recreation of the original styles. Not a "ZOMG look let's throw a shit ton of ambient lighting, glow, and godray effects on some hand drawn art and call it modern!!!111one!".


But it's not about being faithful. The reason it looks like this is because the designers have very limited imaginations. Everything is upscaled by hand, with small amounts of additional detail thrown in at the most random and obscure points.

Tell me, Team S2HD, is adding emeralds to the tree trunks the limit of your artistic imagination? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from this project.


Are you kidding me? Clearly you haven't been following this project very closely. The game graphics are NOT upscaled, modified contents - it's original assets created from scratch with the goal of mimicking the original look based off of the original game and the original concept artwork - only at a much higher resolution. This project was never about fully reimagining Sonic 2, but recreating it faithfully in a higher resolution.

It's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the goal of this project was.
It's clear that you're the one not following this project very closely.
I remember very well seeing the developers resize the tiles in the original game and draw on the top of it with illustrator.

It's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the goal of this discussion is.



Yes - they used tiles as a guide. And, hurrrr, why the hell wouldn't they? The person I quoted was trying to say that they simply upscaled tiles, slapped some paint on it and called it a day. And he sounds like a complete moron, as do you at the moment. The content used in S2HD is as much created from scratch as can be. The project goal is exactly as I stated, plain and simple. Your screenshot looks like shit, and you know it. The game looks nothing like that. Similar? At a glance, obviously - the goal of the project IS about maintaining a faithful recreation. Or, uh, did you miss that part? Again?

Quit your crybaby whining crying bullshit. You didn't pay for or contribute to anything. If a shitty, upscaled and horribly filtered Sonic 2 is what you want - then GTFO of the thread and carry on with your emulator. I suggest - no - I challenge you to reproduce what the S2HD team has. If you can do much better - then you are free to release an OMG AMAZEBALLS MUCH BETTER THAN S2HD version of the game by yourself. Owait...that's never going to happen, because you're full of shit and complaining just to complain.
This post has been edited by HeartAttack: 29 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

#274 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

  • Posts: 2481
  • Joined: 27-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Gold's Curse
  • Wiki edits:21

Quote

Spoiler

I'd rather this kind of talent go towards an original fan game. However, Sonic 2 HD seems to be a more strict recreation of the original title, than a complete (keyword there) re-imagining of the visuals. This isn't a bad thing though, I love seeing the original content in higher quality and with more frames. Is it the most creative thing? Debatable, but I don't think creativity is goal of this project anyway.

Quote

99% of people agree this is the best looking Sonic game that they've ever played, and you're more than welcome to disagree.

For me, that title belongs to Generations. 99% is a bit of an exaggeration I'd say, since "best looking" is clearly subjective.
This post has been edited by Sparks: 29 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

#275 User is offline ancara 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

  • Posts: 337
  • Joined: 09-October 08
Wow, things got harsh and crazy rather fast.

I think its best said that if ya feel dislike for shenanigans, at least say what you dislike nicely or reasonably.

Or at least be like Frozen Nitrogen. :v:
This post has been edited by ancara: 29 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

#276 User is offline P3DR0 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

  • :3
  • Posts: 400
  • Joined: 09-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog (the OVA Fan Game)

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Yes - they used tiles as a guide. And, hurrrr, why the hell wouldn't they? The person I quoted was trying to say that they simply upscaled tiles, slapped some paint on it and called it a day. And he sounds like a complete moron, as do you at the moment. The content used in S2HD is as much created from scratch as can be. The project goal is exactly as I stated, plain and simple. Your screenshot looks like shit, and you know it. The game looks nothing like that. Similar? At a glance, obviously - the goal of the project IS about maintaining a faithful recreation. Or, uh, did you miss that part? Again?
Last time I checked resizing the tiles and redrawing it on top of it, it's pretty much the oposite of "created from the scratch".
Son, the goal of the project isn't "plain" and "simple". As the readme file says it's a "reimagination" of Sonic 2 as could be if it were made nowadays using the tools avaliable on these days that's the goal. Problem is there is no "reimagination", it's the same thing as it was 20y ago, also if the best we can do with the assets avaliable today I believe I've traveled back in time to 2003 and barely noticed.

Quote

Quit your crybaby whining crying bullshit. You didn't pay for or contribute to anything. If a shitty, upscaled and horribly filtered Sonic 2 is what you want - then GTFO of the thread and carry on with your emulator. I suggest - no - I challenge you to reproduce what the S2HD team has. If you can do much better - then you are free to release an OMG AMAZEBALLS MUCH BETTER THAN S2HD version of the game by yourself. Owait...that's never going to happen, because you're full of shit and complaining just to complain.
Why are you so mad over a criticism, broseph? Chillax, we're discussing a fangame in here no one is drowning any puppies or shooting jews. Calm down, or you'll have an HeartAttack (ha, that was cleaver, wasn't it?).
This post has been edited by P3DR0: 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

#277 User is offline Steven M 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: 05-January 07

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Quit your crybaby whining crying bullshit. You didn't pay for or contribute to anything. If a shitty, upscaled and horribly filtered Sonic 2 is what you want - then GTFO of the thread and carry on with your emulator. I suggest - no - I challenge you to reproduce what the S2HD team has. If you can do much better - then you are free to release an OMG AMAZEBALLS MUCH BETTER THAN S2HD version of the game by yourself. Owait...that's never going to happen, because you're full of shit and complaining just to complain.


If you get served a shitty meal at a restaurant you're not allowed to complain unless you can cook better yourself. Likewise nobody is allowed to critique movies unless they've won an Oscar themselves.

#278 User is offline HeartAttack 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

  • is a smug hipster, brah!
  • Posts: 567
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostP3DR0, on 29 March 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Yes - they used tiles as a guide. And, hurrrr, why the hell wouldn't they? The person I quoted was trying to say that they simply upscaled tiles, slapped some paint on it and called it a day. And he sounds like a complete moron, as do you at the moment. The content used in S2HD is as much created from scratch as can be. The project goal is exactly as I stated, plain and simple. Your screenshot looks like shit, and you know it. The game looks nothing like that. Similar? At a glance, obviously - the goal of the project IS about maintaining a faithful recreation. Or, uh, did you miss that part? Again?
Last time I checked resizing the tiles and redrawing it on top of it, it's pretty much the oposite of "created from the scratch".
Son, the goal of the project isn't "plain" and "simple". As the readme file says it's a "reimagination" of Sonic 2 as could be if it were made nowadays using the tools avaliable on these days that's the goal. Problem is there is no "reimagination", it's the same thing as it was 20y ago, also if the best we can do with the assets avaliable today I believe I've traveled back in time to 2003 and barely noticed.


If you'd been following the project, you'll learn it was NEVER about "reimagining" the game so much visually. Perhaps they shouldn't have used the term "reimagine" in the Read Me? Fuck the Read Me - the project goal has been plain and simple from the start and for anyone to expect anything other than what they gave us is absolutely delusional. What were you expecting? Anything and everything they've released has shown us EXACTLY what they were working toward, and that's exactly what they gave us. What do you think the other demos and occasional art was for? Do you think they released it because it meant "this is what we're NOT going to do?". Uh, no.

...and no, using original assets as a TEMPLATE is considered creating from scratch. Again, for the millionth time, they never simply took old assets, upscaled then slapped paint on them. They used old tiles as a guide and created new content over it, all from scratch. Using items as guides and simply reusing items are two very different things and you obviously don't grasp the concept, son.

Quote

If you get served a shitty meal at a restaurant you're not allowed to complain unless you can cook better yourself. Likewise nobody is allowed to critique movies unless they've won an Oscar themselves.


That's not my point. My point is that if you're going to complain, do so with a valid concern. Spreading blatant, untrue bullshit is not a valid critique. He can think the game looks and plays as terrible as he wants but when he blames it on false reasons then he has no complaint. Saying things like the team simply upscaled old content and reused it or that they have "no imagination" is garbage, given the project goals and execution.
This post has been edited by HeartAttack: 29 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

#279 User is online NioZero 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: 21-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chile
  • Project:Tornado Sky Fighters
  • Wiki edits:5
The game is really awesome, I played the 64bits version in fullHD with 60fps and it looks very beatiful.

I guess physics can improve, but the graphics are ok, I really like the extra frame animation.

I wish not to wait a whole year or more to see the chemical plant zone demo or the whole game complete. I suppose the speed of the development will be more faster considering that the engine and the methodology is "almost" complete from what I see.

#280 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: 31-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Megamix, SonED2, Engine02, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

It's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the goal of this project was.

Says the guy who registered to the board that started the project as a "Community Project" at a later year than the project's birth, and who's defending the project as-is when two of the original primary goals for the project that turned into THIS were:

1.) Open-ended platform for creating other "HD" 2D fangames with Sonic 2 as a basis [Which is now tightly-packed DRM on what amounts to traced-over, flatly-smoothed upscaled Sega/Sonic Team graphic property and a haphazardly-translated version of other people's reverse-engineering and notes of other people's work]

2.) Posted Image
This is the image that initially inspired the discussion that led to the "Community Project" that turned into this "Sonic2HD". Look at the grit and detail. Where is that now? The graphics being used in this project are just bland smoothing of the original low-res assets. I guess that and making them super-shiny are what count now? That's certainly not the impression I got when this whole thing first started

I hadn't exactly intended to say anything regarding all of this, but you, sir, seem to have pissed me off, randomly butting into the middle of something and starting to tell everyone "how it is" like you know. Apparently you don't. Some of us do happen to know where this came from. You may be willing to settle for less, but some people actually have fair reason to be disappointed with this. It's devolved from what it started as, and no amount of parroting what anyone may insist it is NOW is going to change that

#281 User is offline HeartAttack 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

  • is a smug hipster, brah!
  • Posts: 567
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostStealth, on 29 March 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

It's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the goal of this project was.

Says the guy who registered to the board that started the project as a "Community Project" at a later year than the project's birth, and who's defending the project as-is when two of the original primary goals for the project that turned into THIS were:

1.) Open-ended platform for creating other "HD" 2D fangames with Sonic 2 as a basis [Which is now tightly-packed DRM on what amounts to traced-over, flatly-smoothed upscaled Sega/Sonic Team graphic property and a haphazardly-translated version of other people's reverse-engineering and notes of other people's work]

2.) Posted Image
This is the image that initially inspired the discussion that led to the "Community Project" that turned into this "Sonic2HD". Look at the grit and detail. Where is that now? The graphics being used in this project are just bland smoothing of the original low-res assets. I guess that and making them super-shiny are what count now? That's certainly not the impression I got when this whole thing first started

I hadn't exactly intended to say anything regarding all of this, but you, sir, seem to have pissed me off, randomly butting into the middle of something and starting to tell everyone "how it is" like you know. Apparently you don't. Some of us do happen to know where this came from. You may be willing to settle for less, but some people actually have fair reason to be disappointed with this. It's devolved from what it started as, and no amount of parroting what anyone may insist it is NOW is going to change that


Who cares when I registered? I've been FOLLOWING this project for a long time. This project is WHY I registered. I know that image was the original INSPIRATION for this project. There is a difference between "inspiration" and "delivered product". There are differences between many things, some of which a few of you just choose to ignore. This game began to visually differ from it's inspiration LONG ago, and like I said - to expect anything other than what they've been showing us for the past year is delusional. I mean, honestly, why were you expecting anything else? I'm not settling for less - I'm settling for EXACTLY what they've been building and giving us previews of.
This post has been edited by HeartAttack: 29 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

#282 User is offline P3DR0 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

  • :3
  • Posts: 400
  • Joined: 09-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog (the OVA Fan Game)

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostP3DR0, on 29 March 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Yes - they used tiles as a guide. And, hurrrr, why the hell wouldn't they? The person I quoted was trying to say that they simply upscaled tiles, slapped some paint on it and called it a day. And he sounds like a complete moron, as do you at the moment. The content used in S2HD is as much created from scratch as can be. The project goal is exactly as I stated, plain and simple. Your screenshot looks like shit, and you know it. The game looks nothing like that. Similar? At a glance, obviously - the goal of the project IS about maintaining a faithful recreation. Or, uh, did you miss that part? Again?
Last time I checked resizing the tiles and redrawing it on top of it, it's pretty much the oposite of "created from the scratch".
Son, the goal of the project isn't "plain" and "simple". As the readme file says it's a "reimagination" of Sonic 2 as could be if it were made nowadays using the tools avaliable on these days that's the goal. Problem is there is no "reimagination", it's the same thing as it was 20y ago, also if the best we can do with the assets avaliable today I believe I've traveled back in time to 2003 and barely noticed.


If you'd been following the project, you'll learn it was NEVER about "reimagining" the game so much visually. Perhaps they shouldn't have used the term "reimagine" in the Read Me? Fuck the Read Me - the project goal has been plain and simple from the start and for anyone to expect anything other than what they gave us is absolutely delusional. What were you expecting? Anything and everything they've released has shown us EXACTLY what they were working toward, and that's exactly what they gave us.
Taking Steven's metaphore of restaurants... So if you're outside of a restaurant and the sign say "Bovine Filet Mignon" you go in and order that and get a salad in exchange. So... "Fuck the sign, I'll go eat some salad then".

Quote

...and no, using original assets as a TEMPLATE is considered creating from scratch. Again, for the millionth time, they never simply took old assets, upscaled then slapped paint on them. They used old tiles as a guide and created new content over it, all from scratch. Using items as guides and simply reusing items are two very different things and you obviously don't grasp the concept, son.
Isn't a template something that you use as a base to create something? No one is saying that they've reused something, I just corrected you when you said that things were done from scratch. The picture that I drew was done from scratch, Sonic 2 HD uses Sonic 2 tiles as a template, painted it over, added some shading or whatever and done and you obviously don't grasp about design, son.

Quote

That's not my point. My point is that if you're going to complain, do so with a valid concern. Spreading blatant, untrue bullshit is not a valid critique. He can think the game looks and plays as terrible as he wants but when he blames it on false reasons then he has no complaint. Saying things like the team simply upscaled old content and reused it or that they have "no imagination" is garbage, given the project goals and execution.
But they didn't used their imagination... I thought you said it wasn't exactly a reimagination, so why would they need to imaginate something, anyway?
This post has been edited by P3DR0: 29 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

#283 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: 31-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Megamix, SonED2, Engine02, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19

View PostHeartAttack, on 29 March 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

Who cares when I registered? I've been FOLLOWING this project for a long time. I know that image was the original INSPIRATION for this project. There is a difference between "inspiration" and "delivered product". There are differences between many things, some of which a few of you just choose to ignore.

So the inspiration for the project and the aspects of that inspiration that the people responsible for the original discussion of the project used to outline it do not equal the project's intent? What?
This post has been edited by Stealth: 29 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

#284 User is offline HeartAttack 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

  • is a smug hipster, brah!
  • Posts: 567
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali
  • Wiki edits:1
Projects transform. To expect something like the original concept inspiration when the project has clearly shifted gears starting years ago is, as stated, delusional. They gave us what they've been previewing for a long time now. Why would anyone expect anything different?
This post has been edited by HeartAttack: 29 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

#285 User is offline Oerg866 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

  • Posts: 1699
  • Joined: 07-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Frankfurt, Germany
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostCerulean Nights, on 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

You're right, I suppose if you're counting Retro, who have a tendency of skewing any percentage down that extra 29% alone, it could well be more like 70%. Thank you for counting it for me though, as I don't have the free time to do it myself. I have a question for you. Why are you getting so worked up over a game you don't have to play? Is it not simply easier to go back and play the original if you prefer it more? We don't owe you anything, and if I tarnished your childhood memories of Sonic then I personally apologize to you, and feel terrible that I could hurt another human being in such a way.


I like your way of responding. Well, to be fair, my concern is that the team sort of does that like sega, tons of cricism but officially "99% loved it" or something like that. I personally think if that happens here that would be terrible, so I felt like pointing it out to you. Nothing personal, at all, so...

Also, if all companies replied to criticism with "you don't have to play it"... Oh boy.

Also, I don't think you understand. The only things I'm worked up about are Sonic's looks, the music, system incompatibility and that DRM crap. Everything else is fine. For example, I really like the font. And the credits scene suggests to me that you can save replays and watch them in this form. And that's awesome.

It's just so much easier to find flaws than really really well done things IMO, and I'm not exactly someone who doesnt care about them.

Hope you understand better now my way of thinking.

  • 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Bing