Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 HD Alpha release

#136 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
I don't know if this is due to my PC, but Sonic's spin speed of his jump appears to be the same no matter what speed you do it at.

#137 User is offline Deef 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostICEknight, on 28 March 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostDeef, on 28 March 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Just a quick note in case anyone else got the problem of act 2 not loading.

I selected Window -> Scroll (which actually worked) and the new act started up. Then I set the window back to normal.

I just waited a little longer and the second act started. Gotta be patient.

Running on my machine I gave it 3 minutes. More to the point, it then loads the instant I select Window -> Scroll.

Hey you can knock the item boxes onto different terrain. :D
This post has been edited by Deef: 28 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

#138 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2
I know I've been pretty negative on the project before, so I'd like to say that what has been presented here is outstanding. The animations are silky smooth and look so beautiful, and Tee Lopes is amazing as ever. The title screen, while I'm not a fan of how it deviates from the original, was animated and remastered so well that I can't even begin to complain. Title cards look magnificent and implementing S3K-style act transitions was a great touch. My only complaints really are a few physics things (mainly jump height - if this is based on S3 code, are you sure you didn't use Knuckles's jump height on accident? :v) and concerns about how the project has been run. Well, and the graphics engine seems pretty janky.

#139 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Can I point out something
Posted Image
one of the reasons your game looks a little bit flatter and blander than it should is because it is. It's palette changes like these which act against you. You had it spot on at #4 in my opinion.

Sonic artwork constantly evolves. Things are tweaked upon entering the game so that objects stand out better in their environments. It was a design decision to get some purple in there - not because they couldn't get the colours they wanted.

Cover artists base their work on what's seen in game, it isn't the other way around. Whereas the badnik art from the manuals doubled up as concept art (btw that doesn't mean copy those ones directly either because they were tweaked too), the Sonic and Tails stuff was meant for the covers. I'm fairly sure it was drawn after the game started production, not before.

#140 User is offline Lord Nero 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

• Resident Nintendo Hater.
  • Project:Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
Wow, im loving this black screen, best game ever.
In all seriousness though, I've only been able to get this game to load up once beyond the title screen on Super Low Quality (then my sister came in and I had to close the game), havent been able to get it to load since beyond the title screen.

EDIT: Alright, got the game to finally load up again, this time on both Super Low Quality and Low Quality. All 'n all, this game is freaking fantastic, but does seem to suffer from some physics issues that I'll leave the more tech saavy to explain, and im not sure if its just from my computer alone or not, but I also noticed some input lag here and there, but yet again, might just be my computer lagging and not the games fault.
I look forward to continued releases, hopefully with better computer specs though, Low Quality only loads on the super rare, and Super Low Quality is just ulgy to every degree...
This post has been edited by Lord Nero: 28 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

#141 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
Okay, check it: You're blocking in shapes and colors with the pen tool and stroking the edges with the healing brush. Gotcha, right?

Why did it take me so long to figure that out.

#142 User is offline Tiranno 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

• Steveosaurus Rex
  • Project:Sonic in Jurassic Park
Copy-pasta from Stadium:

So I played this a few times last night and then booted it up when I got home on my 37" and I have to say it was an extreme pleasure to play this.

The animations were wonderfully fluid and I loved that everything was alive and bouncy. The music was well done as well but I thought that the boss theme blended in too well with EHZ.

I only issue is that Sonic feels a little heavy. I tried speed running it like on Genesis and I could not make most of my jumps properly. The spindash also seems very off because when I rev it up all the way I get very little speed.

I understand this is an alpha so I will let my nitpicking slide. I had a grin on my face the entire time and I can't believe you guys smoked Sega in every way possible and you're just guys who do this in your spare time.

#143 User is offline Cerulean Nights 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostRitz, on 28 March 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Okay, check it: You're blocking in shapes and colors with the pen tool and stroking the edges with the healing brush. Gotcha, right?

Why did it take me so long to figure that out.

You didn't figure it out. Like I said, no brushes are involved. At all. That's the last thing I'll say on the issue, sorry.

#144 User is offline Ultima 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

• Games Publisher
  • Project:Publishing mobile games!
Not bad. For some reason I got uber chug every 5 seconds or so (almost as if the framerate cuts itself to about 15 fps for a few seconds), then it'd go back to silky smooth 60fps. Really jarring - specs are Windows 7 64 bit, 8gb RAM, Phenom II 655 Black 3.9ghz and AMD Radeon HD 5850. I tried both the 64 bit exe and the normal one and they both did the same thing. It was kinda like Chemical Plant in Sonic Generations PC...
This post has been edited by Ultima: 28 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

#145 User is offline GamingMisfit 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

• Jerk
  • Project:Review for Sonic CD (2011 Edition)
Demo's pretty impressive, but I have to say the physics need lots of work. Sonic feels almost like a heavy marble.

Still, this is awesome.

#146 User is offline Walnut 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostCanned Karma, on 27 March 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well, that didn't take long.

GerbilSoft,
I guarantee that the code was obfuscated just as you imply very intentionally. Whether or not it was for the reasons you outlined, only one person on the staff knows for certain. I don't have an answer for you on that, and I doubt I will. Bear in mind that I'm not trying to be snarky with you. There were more than a few sacrifices made on our team prior to release to get what you're seeing into your hands, and there are still things the project's leadership isn't happy with. But we made it our priority to have a playable game get out as soon as we possibly could.

I don't understand why you made that a priority. You honestly pushed out an inferior product. In my mind, its kind of tarnished the image of Sonic 2 HD in my mind.

There are some things you did very well. The title sequence is amazing. Most of the art looks very good. The music is great.

But then you have the physics which are just feel way off. I had issues getting up to that cluster of rings with the star post next to it because the spring wasn't launching me as high as it would on the Genesis. Sonic felt very slow to gain momentum like he'd been spending his time eating too many jelly donuts. Sonic's walk animation looks kind of goofy. The game harasses you for modifying files. It doesn't support my gamepad out of the box, I have to put in extra effort with a frankly bizarre menu system to get it working. There is no fullscreen from what I can tell (This could be my fault for not looking hard enough but its your guys' fault for not making it easily accessible) The exe is packed like a virus. And the king of all the problems is you cut the community support. Even if it was only a superficial relationship where you took feedback and considered fixing it, its better to maintain that relationship with your playerbase than it is to say "Well now we're gonna provide the content for you and that's that."

Take more time with the fine details and have some pride in your work. Its sad to see something like this have a release that feels so half baked, even if a lot of my compalints are nitpicky.

#147 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
I'm guessing the reason I never get any feedback on my repeated question is either because the developers don't want to spoil anything or they don't want to say no and have people lose interest... :(

#148 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Drinking all the caffeine in the world, one cup at a time.
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostGerbilSoft, on 27 March 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'd like to point out that obfuscated executables are only used by two groups of programmers: virus writers, DRM developers, and programmers who don't want people to see how bad their code is. Three groups of programmers. (Obfuscated code is never used on super high-end stuff like IBM Rhapsody, which costs thousands of dollars per license.)

Off topic, but there is another very niche example I can think of. People programming the Potato Fools Portal 2 pre-launch puzzle trail last year noted that code obfuscation is helpful when trying to keep gamers from cheating and hacking answers out of their games, which some of the developers involved did not do.

That said, this is obviously not part of a viral campaign or ARG. =P

Edit: Nevermind, you were talking about executables. So I guess I'm off topic and being dumb. =P
This post has been edited by Aesculapius Piranha: 28 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

#149 User is offline Luckett 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Just thought I'd stop by and say great work on the animations and Sonic sprites gentlemen. Much better now, infinitely so, and who am I to resist a 'told you so' to Vincent from 2008 on the topic of Sonic's flesh colours and perhaps even eyes. GLORY TO THE LUCKETT EMPIRE :british:

In a way that is the antithesis to the project, it'd be better if the background art and more was 'scruffier', rather than these clinical recreations, but probably too far gone now and I'd rather see efforts on original projects than redoing this over and over until we're all dead.

#150 User is offline Mester Keel98 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

• Stuck in the past
  • Wiki edits:3
The art is great, and the music is nice. Pretty fun, I like it.

That said, he who made the code involved in loading and handling stuff needs a nasty slap in the wenis. It loaded once, and then never again no matter what I did or where I extracted the game; and the one time it did load, it took 3 minutes from screen to screen and in the act transition.

• 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users