Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Blue Spheres Forever - Beta Test - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Blue Spheres Forever - Beta Test A fan ramake of the SEGA's "Get Blue Spheres"

#16 User is offline erbuka 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostRitz, on 22 March 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

But for the love of god, move Sonic down. He should be on the lower third of the screen, not dead center! You can barely see what's ahead of him. I've never seen anything so disorienting in a game.

The fact that Sonic is in the center doesn't give me that much trouble, anyway I guess you're right. I'll look into it... Moving it down will require some work, though.

View PostProfessor Neo, on 22 March 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I saw this video before! And I even asked you questions. Isn't your YouTube ID nerdrage562? If so, we've met before.

Are you willj168 on youtube? You said you had some suggestions to give... Please do it now :)

View PostTiberious, on 22 March 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Alright, I've given it a shot, and here's my improvement suggestions:
1) Allow the player to start turning as soon as the stage loads in. As it is, the move and first turn is at the same time, which is BAD if your route is planned to start other than the direction you face.
2) Allow the player to turn as they hit a bumper. I understand this allows 'snaking' through a bumper field, but it's invaluable if you get caught between bumpers.
3) Similarly, transitioning from going backwards to forwards by pressing Up is meant to have a several-frame pause, not instantaneous. This will throw timings off.
4) When completing a stage, the original allows you to queue a turn that will be executed upon hitting the last blue sphere. This is useless, but adding it in would show faithfulness to the original.
5) Also, when finishing a stage moving backwards (as S&K 4 requires, as does S&K 7 when getting a Perfect), there appear to be two phases. The player starts moving forward again after the 'surface clearing' phase, as it switches to the 'emerald collection' phase.
6) In S&KStage7.dat, the ring at 10,13 is supposed to be a yellow sphere. Ring count for perfect is thus meant to be lowered to 57.
7) Also in S&KStage7, the group (actually -pair- of groups) at 22,20 to 24,26 is meant to transform all at once while walking left from 26,23. Currently, only one group changes to rings, and it required hitting the last blue sphere in the second group to change it as well.

These are little things that need a fix. Thank you very much, sir! The point 7 quite surprised me, I've always done that group by jumping over the middle blue sphere.

Anyway, guys, there's another thing that no one noticed. The rings counter starts from zero, and it does so even in the S&K special stages, while in Blue Spheres starts from the perfect value and then goes down. I think that the way it is now makes the game a little harder. What do you think about? Should I make different behaviors for the Custom Stage and Blue Spheres play?
This post has been edited by erbuka: 23 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

#17 User is offline Professor Neo 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Are you willj168 on youtube? You said you had some suggestions to give... Please do it now :)

Yes.

I would really love it if:

1) I were able to make my own layouts and palette schemes via editor -- as you can see below

Posted Image

And

Posted Image

You see, I want to make my own palette combinations with both the sky/stars and the checkerboard pattern. I may want to do a sunrise or a sunset kind of background.
If you can, would you make a layout/palette editor with a Blue Sphere level importer/exporter with shown codes?

2) I can be able to load and play my music of choice

S3K Special Stage with Sonic 3D Blast Special Stage Music

3) Tails and Knuckles were playable characters

4) You made the sphere and ring counters a little larger so I can see it a little better -- they're a little too small

5) I can configure the controls to my liking -- I play my games using certain keys
This post has been edited by Professor Neo: 23 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

#18 User is offline erbuka 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

@Professor Neo

1) This is a really good input!! The problem is that the game is not based on palettes, so we have to find a workaround. I can modify my level editor: instead of using PNG images for the floor, I think I can give you the possibility to choose the color of the ground pattern and a range of colors for the stars and planets (for instance, from yellow to white). The sky background is made with a gradient, I can let you choose the start and the end color. I know nothing about how palettes work, so tell me if this is enough...
Importing layouts is not a problem.

2) This can be easily done, even though you'll have to make sure that your music loops correctly.

3) This is already on the TODO list.

4) This can be done. Personally I don't think they're small, but, let's see what other people think.

5) This is also on the TODO list.

#19 User is offline Professor Neo 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

I can't wait till all this is done! You know I love playing around with palettes and layouts! I ought to show you all those Blue Sphere videos I made

#20 User is offline Azu 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

• I must be stupid.
I can't seem to load my custom level. :V Also, can we have the arrow keys? I can't stand using WASD other than in FPS games.

#21 User is offline erbuka 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostAzu, on 23 March 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

I can't seem to load my custom level. :V Also, can we have the arrow keys? I can't stand using WASD other than in FPS games.

I hope you read this carefully before posting (I know you didn't :) )
http://www.bluespher...m/gameguide.php

Anyway to load your custom levels, you have to save them under the "data" directory inside the game installation folder. After that you have to click the File > Game stages menu in the level edtior, and the add the file you saved before, and then close your editor. The game must load it.

The ARROW KEYS(move) and SPACE(jump) have been implemented in the latest fix. Download it from here: http://www.bluespher...m/downloads.php

Hope this helps.

#22 User is offline Professor Neo 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm gonna give it a try to see how much I like it. I noticed on the game's site that I can implement my own textures/layout board patterns. By the way, in Normal mode, do I have the option to input level codes?

And I should also suggest these:

The ability to record gameplay (both audio and video) so I can post my creations on YouTube
Music select -- you can use these as base songs: Default S3K special stage, Gumball Machine, Sonic 3D Blast (both Genesis and Saturn versions), Knuckles Chaotix special stage

#23 User is offline Shade Vortex 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

• The Black Vortex
  • Project:Today, We Plays (Let's Plays) on Youtube
I know it runs in windowed mode if it can't run in full screen, but I'd like there to be an option for switching between fullscreen and widescreen in the options.

Also, I think I was able to phase through some bumpers somehow. Other than that, great work! I just wish I had a better computer so that I could run this more smoothly, in better quality/resolution.

#24 User is offline Tiberious 

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

• Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem?
  • Wiki edits:1

View Posterbuka, on 23 March 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

These are little things that need a fix. Thank you very much, sir! The point 7 quite surprised me, I've always done that group by jumping over the middle blue sphere.

Anyway, guys, there's another thing that no one noticed. The rings counter starts from zero, and it does so even in the S&K special stages, while in Blue Spheres starts from the perfect value and then goes down. I think that the way it is now makes the game a little harder. What do you think about? Should I make different behaviors for the Custom Stage and Blue Spheres play?

It's visible at about 11:07 in the link below:

You'll also see the ring count start at 57 (the hack here is based on Blue Sphere, so it counts down) like it should be.

I've also made the layouts for stages '8' and '16' from that series (both the secret special stages). They just need testing to make sure I got the colors right.

#25 User is offline Supakitsune 

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

• well I guess I'll sega. I'll sega
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostRitz, on 22 March 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Blue Balls 3D: Lollapalooza! just got the green light.
This is the best news I've heard all month.

#26 User is offline Azu 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

• I must be stupid.
So, this stage I made crashes. The others I've made worked fine. This one crashes as soon as I get a blue sphere.

http://dl.dropbox.co.../Azu_STG_02.dat

Edit: Just looked that guide. Nevermind
This post has been edited by Azu: 27 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

#27 User is offline Professor Neo 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Erbuka, I do have another question:

Is there a way that I can record gameplay (both audio and video) so I can upload gameplay videos to YouTube? I'd suggest that you add a movie/.AVI recording option like it's done on emulators. I'm not messing with HyperCam and all that other stuff.
This post has been edited by Professor Neo: 28 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

#28 User is offline erbuka 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostProfessor Neo, on 28 March 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Erbuka, I do have another question:

Is there a way that I can record gameplay (both audio and video) so I can upload gameplay videos to YouTube? I'd suggest that you add a movie/.AVI recording option like it's done on emulators. I'm not messing with HyperCam and all that other stuff.

Adding such a feature is not trivial, maybe I'll do, but for now I'm focused on adding other feats, fixing bugs and improve performance... Anyway I used playclaw to record video and audio and worked pretty well.
This post has been edited by erbuka: 28 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

#29 User is offline Professor Neo 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'll probably download the audio/video recorder that you use. Hope that it's freeware. I can use it for Blue Sphere as well as other games I play.

#30 User is offline Tiberious 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

• Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem?
  • Wiki edits:1
Just to save a little hassle, I've uploaded those extra S3&K stages.

They can be found here (click the Download button).

Probably wouldn't take much time to re-make, but I figure if it can be saved, then why take it?

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users