Ah Sonic 06. You know what it could have been an ok game. But they veered off in the wrong direction very very early on. I'm going to list what I thought were good ideas. Then I'll list off the bad.
- Sonic's levels were based primarily off of the Sonic Adventure formula.
- Silver seemed kind of neat
- Switching off to buddy characters was a nice way to use Sonic's friends. Like SA2 only instead of doing pointless task, it was simply get to the end of the level or do X.
- Level environments. Nothing exciting, but traditional Sonic fare. Sonic Generations showed Crisis City's potential IMO
And now the bad
- Shadow is useless
- Hub worlds are too big and confusing
- Town missions
- Character models
- How the game itself played
And I could go on. If I wanted a good Sonic 06 I would have done the following:
- Make the game like Sonic Adventure 2, with two different stories that revolve around 2 different characters. Team Sonic could have been Sonic and Tails, Team Silver could have been Silver and Blaze. About 66% of each story would be devoted to either Sonic or Silver, the other 34% would be Tails and Blaze.
- Hub worlds would work similar to the little mission gates found in Unleashed 360. They're small little interactive levels with gates to go into different acts.
- Acts. The game would have had smaller acts instead of town missions.
- Sonic would play like he does in Unleashed. Tails would play like Sonic did in SA1. Blaze would play like Sonic does in Unleashed
- Silver would be fixed entirely. His move set would be more fluid like it was in his Generations Rival fight. He could shoot off energy beams, and he could move at speeds about as fast as Tails or Sonic when not boosting.
- Speaking of which, the slowest Max speed would be Sonic while not boosting. Every character shares the same max speed, difference being that only Sonic and Blaze can boost for more speed.
- Skills work like those in Generations. Unessential fun things.
- Add a two player race mode that works. You can use any character you want, since it would be possible to beat each stage as each character.
- Story. Elise - gone. Shadow - gone. Amy, Knuckles, Omega, Rouge - gone. We don't need em, so get them the fuck out of here. Silver still comes from a dystopian future, but not because of Iblis. Eggman creates a Metal Sonic that goes haywire and starts fucking up everything. It destroys everything, and having collected the 7 chaos emeralds after Sonic's death, it's invincible. Silver can hold it off, but can't defeat it. So he goes back into the past (who cares how) and tries to fix what went wrong. He mistakes Sonic for Metal Sonic at first and doesn't trust him, but soon realizes he has the wrong guy. At the end of the game they face off against Metal Sonic together and defeat him.
- Shadow and Knuckles would be unlockable characters you could play as for shits and gigs. There would also be a mode where you could play through any level as any character.
At the end of the day though, if this was the game they made, well that wouldn't have been Sonic 06 would it. It would have shared 4 characters and level tropes. By this logic, Sonic Heroes is the same thing as Sonic 3 & Knuckles
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 18 March 2012 - 08:46 PM