Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Logo Contest! - Vote! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Logo Contest! - Vote! Let's see some logos!

#31 User is offline RolfTheUber 

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

• Project:School

View PostGen, on 11 March 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

The lettering here looks alright. A bit rough around the edges, but otherwise alright (the Ns, for example, stand out a little bit too much for comfort, and the spacing on the O looks a bit odd). Though I'm still pretty sold on the Visual Studio style logo, and the thinner matte version of the original logo.

Is this any better?

Posted Image

Edit: Now with less engine

Posted Image
This post has been edited by RolfTheUber: 11 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

#32 User is offline Gen 

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

• This is halloween! This is halloween!
  • Project:The Mobius Engine

View PostRolfTheUber, on 11 March 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

That... is actually much better.

#33 User is offline acrazyplayer 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

Here is something I threw together yesterday in order to give people more to vote on and probably make the other entries look better :)

Posted Image

The ring is from "Sonic 2 HD" and I take no credit for making it
This post has been edited by acrazyplayer: 12 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

#34 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostGen, on 11 March 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

The lettering here looks alright. A bit rough around the edges, but otherwise alright (the Ns, for example, stand out a little bit too much for comfort, and the spacing on the O looks a bit odd). Though I'm still pretty sold on the Visual Studio style logo, and the thinner matte version of the original logo.

Is this any better?

http://I.minus.com/jbxtVbPoTiaqUq.png

Edit: Now with less engine

http://I.minus.com/jGWJ9GOa0TwIB.png

If you swap the red and the blue you could say it subtly matches the main three character's abilies.

Yellow is tails. He can fly straight upwards. Vertical line.

Blue is Sonic, he can run across the ground, so should be on the bottom.

Red is Knuckles, he glides in the air.

also lines up better with
Posted Image

#35 User is offline Gen 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

• This is halloween! This is halloween!
  • Project:The Mobius Engine

Posted Image

Not quite so sure about this one. Elratauru, any thoughts?

#36 User is offline RolfTheUber 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

• Project:School

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 12 March 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

If you swap the red and the blue you could say it subtly matches the main three character's abilies.

Yellow is tails. He can fly straight upwards. Vertical line.

Blue is Sonic, he can run across the ground, so should be on the bottom.

Red is Knuckles, he glides in the air.

I really like this idea, but other than simply flipping the logo vertically (as seen below), swapping the colors would take more photoshop skills than I have.

Posted Image

#37 User is offline acrazyplayer 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm liking all the other logos so far but here's another one I made just in case. I did it too small I think but it still gets the idea across and can be done bigger if needed.

Posted Image

#38 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
The change RolfTheUber posted is great. Switching up the colors makes a subtle but appreciative difference.

#39 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

• Teleportation, yeah!
  • Project:Super Mario Bros. - Version 2.0
  • Wiki edits:4
Posted Image

I still think the hexagon design was the best representation of the mobius strip. I just liked how the mobius strip doubled as another shape. Compared to the thinner one, the arrow shape here is more subtle, and I think it's better that way.

Honestly, that hidden arrow was just something I had accidentally discovered when I had altered the logo, but I thought it was cool the way it worked in the design -- then again, I've always thought hidden secondary meanings and purposes in graphic designs were cool. It's like the FedEx logo; you don't realize at first that there's a hidden arrow in the logo, but when you do (and usually somebody has to point it out), you realize how cool it is that they could sneak that little detail in there like that. =P

I do like the lettering on that logo, though, especially the one where "Mobius" and "Engine" are the same size; I like how the Is line up neatly like that. It just seems perfect that way. But maybe the title could be a little bit bigger? Part of me thinks the title looks somewhat isolated because of the smaller font size. It's no big deal, though; I'm just throwing it out there.
This post has been edited by Blue Emerald: 12 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

#40 User is online RGamer2009 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086

View Postacrazyplayer, on 12 March 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Here is something I threw together yesterday in order to give people more to vote on and probably make the other entries look better :)

Posted Image

Can we take this Ring as the "o" idea and put it on the other logos? I feel it would look better than the color-changed "o", and if the logo is ever animated, the ring could spin alongside the logo.

#41 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

• Teleportation, yeah!
  • Project:Super Mario Bros. - Version 2.0
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostRGamer2009, on 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

View Postacrazyplayer, on 12 March 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Can we take this Ring as the "o" idea and put it on the other logos? I feel it would look better than the color-changed "o", and if the logo is ever animated, the ring could spin alongside the logo.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'd never considered something like that. =P Using the actual ring, however, seems rather clashing with the level of detail already in the logo. In a logo where the highest level of detail is a gradient, putting the ring in there would stick out too much.

I was thinking more like. . . the Sonic 2 HD ring animation, but with no shading or detail; just the solid-colored O emulating a ring. 'Would certainly be a neat little illusion, anyway.

Of course, that doesn't need to be in the logo; that's up to the engine designers, but the idea's there in case anybody would like to do that. And if there ever were to be multiple openings for the logo, a la SEGA Genesis, people can always use the actual ring for the O if they want to.
This post has been edited by Blue Emerald: 13 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

#42 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132

View PostGen, on 12 March 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Posted Image
Not quite so sure about this one. Elratauru, any thoughts?

Well, I must admit that I pretty much like the font and text, its clean and simple enough to me. To me, the better triangle-like strip is this one, the thick one doesnt let you realize the shape of the object I guess. Though, your call. I'm able to switch colours and stuff too, I kinda like that this current font is art-deco like too.

Edit; btw, I like pretty much all the logo concepts we're talking here. As the designer of tons of those, I do not have a favourite, that's where you guys come and help decide what should be trying or doing to get a better logo/concept. I like them all :P

Also, I believe the logo must contain 4 things right now:

1) Art-deco inspired fonts/shapes to make it a little more classic-sonic like. It was badass con the classic game covers (JP ones of course).
2) Something to do with Mobius/Sonic, even if its a ring, a strip, or maybe just colours.
3) A good "flow", good balace between white space and logo space. don't overcharge the logos with effects, the simplier the better.
4) A nice font is appreciated, again, the simplier the better. Avoid fantasy-like fonts.

Also, edit 2;

This is my current "sandbox" file for making the logos, I updated quite a few ones with more shading, variants and stuff. I must say that I'm pretty much liking the solid blue one, its easy to create variants of it and looks very very smooth and adaptable to different situations. Kinda like the new DC Comics logo.

http://i42.tinypic.com/r8vypc.png

Also, updated the Art-deco styled to look like an emerald just for my pleasure :v:
This post has been edited by Elratauru: 13 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

#43 User is online Caniad Bach 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

• Has blue arms
If you're all still throwing ideas around, how about you slant the inside of the 'O' like in the Sonic logo?

#44 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132
Also! Updated sheet!

Yay for shiny variations :v: ... (Just inspiration on how could the logo fit each project as needed, on title-screens or levels, or anything you can imagine).

#45 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

...I don't get the one with the blood-looking stain/splatter on it.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users