Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Renderer General Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Renderer General Discussion This is the thing that makes things look pretty.

#16 User is online Candescence 

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

• Project:Construct stuff
You know, the very first tech demo for Sonic 06 that was shown at E3 2005 where Sonic was running around in a green field, fighting Eggman's robots, and finally ends with him facing off against hundreds of robots and going Super Sonic. It was spectacular at the time. It also came with a couple of screenshots including a shot of Sonic in the air above an expansive green field. Probably the easiest kind of tech demo to do, I reckon.

I've talked with Gen about this before, before the whole engine thing, and he reckoned it was certainly doable. Hell, with the video I posted, the guy who made it did his own masters thesis on the subject which is viewable online, so we have at least one way of doing it to go off of. Another example:

This guy did short grass in insane quantities... With OpenGL and a graphics card that, by today's standards, is terrible. There's apparently whitepapers on the algorithms and approach, can't find any yet, but it's certainly an excellent proof of concept. I hear he's working for EA Sports, now. In any case, though, if there is any way to make this engine stand out, it's something like this.
This post has been edited by Candescence: 25 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

#17 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Well if it's rather simple to pull off, I don't see why not. I still think it's awfully specific but that doesn't matter if it's not difficult either.

EDIT(definitely offtopic): And now that I've seen that tech demo again, I can't help but notice similarities to modern gameplay. Makes sense, because 06 did have those Mach Speed sections.
This post has been edited by AerosolSP: 25 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

#18 User is online Candescence 

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Well, it's only 'simple' in how there's a couple of actual documented techniques out there, but... As I said, I know it's specific, but it will make this game stand out amongst the pack, because, really, no game of actual note (except possibly sports games, but they don't count because they're the same shit every year) makes use of this sort of thing.

#19 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

• FML and FU2
Well we've just come about full circle haven't we? Let me just state my stance on this clearly. If the effort to make this work is deemed 'worth it' by the coding types around here, then I'm okay with it. Do note, however, that whatever implementation of "fancy foliage" we use, it has to be optimized to be able to rendered extremely quickly and still look good. Citation needed on this, but Sonic runs at about 60mph or so in Unleashed. All the pretty foliage in the world will look like garbage if it keeps popping in due to Sonic moving too quickly.

#20 User is offline Falk 

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

oh my god

#21 User is offline Azu 

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

• I must be stupid.
That looks rather nice, but I bet it's expensive on the processor and GPU.

#22 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

• FML and FU2
Maybe not? I mean, it's running right there in a web browser, after all.

But then again, it's not all that useful. It's only a small pool of water. It's not an ocean simulator.
This post has been edited by AerosolSP: 12 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

#23 User is online Candescence 

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

It runs quite well on my machine, and considering it's WebGL, which uses fucking javascript, that's quite an accomplishment.

Honestly, I could see a larger-scale version in C++ running quite well. Now, actual fluid dynamics? Haha, good luck with that shit, as awesome as it would be to have that in a proper game.

#24 User is offline Azu 

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

• I must be stupid.
Actually, if everyone had a 680 or kepler, then it should be possible. :V

This post has been edited by Azu: 12 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

#25 User is online Candescence 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

Mind you, if Unlimited Detail turned out to be as awesome as advertised, then there would be so much room on the GPU for things like that, that it wouldn't be funny. Of course, we'd have to wait a few months or so to find out, and that's a whole different topic anyway. Would be pretty awesome, though.

#26 User is offline Falk 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

Not just the fluid dynamics, the light patterning is pretty convincing despite being a much simplified solution compared to what it actually looks like, and then there's all that shit like proximity shadowing/occlusion which the average person doesn't notice but still adds so much.

#27 User is offline Thousand Pancake 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

• Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the morning
The real question to be asking is: Is anybody doing anything to see that this gets made?

#28 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

• FML and FU2
As far as I know, Gen is working on the very low level things right now.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users