Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 68 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#931 User is offline azureinferno 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:27 AM

Has anybody had any luck opening up al_body in GVM2PAK, in either the PRS form from SA2B or the GVM form from SADX? The console appears to state some sort of error message in the brief moment that it remains open following the file being dragged into it - what I think I've seen is "Cannot convert texture files which require external palettes!". I believe that this is the file that contains the textures for Chao bodies.

#932 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Several of the textures in al_body use external palette files (*.gvp/*.pvp) to determine the Chao's colors. DDS does not support that, and if I had it prompt for a palette file (which is required to convert the texture to a bitmap), it might end up with all two-tone Chao having the same colors all the time. You can use Puyo Tools to extract and edit the textures.

#933 User is offline azureinferno 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 07 September 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Several of the textures in al_body use external palette files (*.gvp/*.pvp) to determine the Chao's colors. DDS does not support that, and if I had it prompt for a palette file (which is required to convert the texture to a bitmap), it might end up with all two-tone Chao having the same colors all the time. You can use Puyo Tools to extract and edit the textures.

Using Puyo Tools to open the PRS and GVM through an archive and then extracting it there seems to have done the job with revealing the GVRs, which the program can then decode into PNGs. Thanks for that.

From what I can see in the files, it now makes sense to me why GVM2PAK might have trouble with al_body. The majority of the textures aren't like the emotiballs in which the game gives a greyscale image a certain colour to use - it seems like they're already coloured, and on their own the image files look like the markings you'd see on a twotone white Chao. I'm guessing that the game manually shifts the hue of a texture somewhat for certain twotone colours using those GVPs and PVPs? However, it seems the texture used for shiny Chao, chao_rare00, is greyscale. At first I was thinking that the game gives it a certain hue and saturation to assume, but then I remembered what the deal is with black Chao on the Dreamcast versions and now I'm guessing that it's an overlay that uses the luminance in the image to tone the rest of a Chao's textures akin to how black Chao have their bodies (and on SA their emotiballs as well) tinted black.

For some reason, the files used for eggs, non-Chaos eyes, the shiny overlay and the unused special colours like glass and the two metals are double the size of the other body textures; and the unused pearl colour just uses the texture of the pearl medal from SA1. Additionally, there are eighteen GVRs that Puyo Tools can't seem to convert into PNGs - every child texture except 01 and all fifteen Hero Chao textures. I wonder what the deal is with that?

#934 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Those are the ones that require an external palette file. The Puyo Tools program doesn't provide an interface for selecting one, but if you were looking at the Dreamcast version, PVMEditSharp would let you view and export those with a palette file.

#935 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

• Wiki edits:30
Does anyone have a backup of the 50% sound effect volume archive? It was on Mega, but it seems to have been removed.

EDIT: I found it:
http://174.92.142.94...entlowerSFX.zip
This post has been edited by Krigo: 09 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

#936 User is offline azureinferno 

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 07 September 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Those are the ones that require an external palette file. The Puyo Tools program doesn't provide an interface for selecting one, but if you were looking at the Dreamcast version, PVMEditSharp would let you view and export those with a palette file.

Puyo Tools is managing to open up the .PVRs and .GVRs from the Gamecube versions of SADX and SA2B, but doesn't seem to be working with the Dreamcast versions - I probably screwed up something because I swear it was working before. At the very least, GVM2PAK and PAKtool are able to do so with ease. On every version except SA1DC, I've finally managed to locate the file that contains the special/jewel textures used in the Dreamcast versions - al_env_tex. Unlike in chao_body on SA1DC/SADX, the amethyst, emerald, ruby and sapphire textures in this file are completely opaque.

I downloaded SA Tools from the link on the wiki and started checking out al_body with it in order to view the files that GVM2PAK and Puyo Tools struggled with, and I think I'm beginning to slightly understand how the palettes are applied. For most of the Hero Chao palettes, the initials in SA2DC's .PVPs seem to correspond with a Chao's alignment, the type of its first evolution and then its second evolution (N, S, F, R, P), though I'm not quite sure what the Z is supposed to represent. To my understanding, the white parts of all of these Chao textures act transparent and depend on the Chao's main colouring - best seen with monotone normals which will forego these textures, or twotone whites, greys and blacks, who just use a white underbody for most breeds and and allow the applied textures to appear as they do when viewed through these programs (and in the case of greys and blacks, a dark tint is then applied on top of the two other layers).

Even though most of the aforementioned coloured Chao aren't on the Dreamcast version, it looks like those factors would still apply to the black Chao like Chacron or those obtained from the Egg Carrier or through SA2's Black Market. Still, I can't help but wonder what those files look like in their base forms or how this all works with coloured Chao from the rereleases. al_mayu looks like it does something similar to the Neutral/Dark textures, having the white part of the image act transparent while the yellow part acts as an overlay for one of the three cocoon colours provided by the game.
This post has been edited by azureinferno: 18 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

#937 User is offline Jeffery Mewtamer 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

^My guess would be Z refers to Chaos Chao or, if they exist in the data for the Dreamcast and aren't present only in the ports, character Chao.

#938 User is offline azureinferno 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostJeffery Mewtamer, on 19 September 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

^My guess would be Z refers to Chaos Chao or, if they exist in the data for the Dreamcast and aren't present only in the ports, character Chao.

All three Chaos Chao have their own texture files in both the Dreamcast version and the ports, as do the character Chao in the ports. I haven't gotten through all of the Z textures yet, but none of the ones I've checked resemble the colours of the Chaos Chao. Still, it'd definitely be worth experimenting with these palette files and see if any of them look like they fit some of the various base textures. Making a grid showcasing all of the combinations seems like a nice way to pass the time and might be useful.

edit: I can't remember which of the palettes match up with a certain Hero Chao's colours prior to the start of second evolution. If they don't have their own dedicated files, maybe that's what the xxZ ones are for?
This post has been edited by azureinferno: 19 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

#939 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

I've been through the Chao evos in both the DC version and GC versions before and I'm pretty sure Character Chao aren't in the former.

#940 User is offline azureinferno 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostJmtshaw, on 19 September 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

I've been through the Chao evos in both the DC version and GC versions before and I'm pretty sure Character Chao aren't in the former.

Yeah, they aren't by the looks of it. I've seen a lot of rumours about obtaining character Chao swirling about on sites that haven't been updated in donkey's years and only contain information about the Dreamcast releases (I can't remember where, but there's this website with a mockup image of a Knuckles Chao), but all evidence that people know of from both the games' files and information/footage/etc on the internet show that the three official character Chao were introduced in SA2B. Their textures are present within SA2B and SADX's al_body, but not in SA2DC's al_body and the .PRS contains the Chao textures on SA1DC.

On the subject of that .PRS, that burgundy jewel texture still baffles me. It reminds me of a mixture of the garnet and ruby textures from the rereleases, or whatever the game does to alter the jewel textures for the Kid's Troops Chao Rangers in SA2DC. I think the gleam might be darkened as well, like with what happens with those colour combination Chao obtained via breeding a gold with a black or a silver with a black in Chao Adventure, I can't remember.

#941 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

• Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
So, yeah, got this problem with the Dreamcast models in SA2:
Posted Image
It's fine in the actual boss battle, but I don't know if these models are meant for cutscenes. I'm probably going to either keep them off as a result, or just play through the stages without the cutscenes.

#942 User is offline End User 

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

• Project:Supers Over Hedgehogs (SA2)

View PostChris Highwind, on 31 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

So, yeah, got this problem with the Dreamcast models in SA2:

[image]

It's fine in the actual boss battle, but I don't know if these models are meant for cutscenes. I'm probably going to either keep them off as a result, or just play through the stages without the cutscenes.

This is a common problem with the current Dreamcast Characters mod, as the cutscene heads and hands still adhere to the default texture lists for mapping purposes instead of those included in the mod pack. My (admittedly minimal) searches have not led me to locate where the in-level cutscenes are stored in the game's files, so the issue will unfortunately persist. In the worst-case scenario, the problem you've shown causes the Rouge cutscenes to crash the game due to the included texture pack not having enough images to load. I've been working on and off on a fix for these and other issues associated with the mod and I should have something ready soon.

In the meantime, looks like Eggman went above and beyond with his Halloween costume this year...
(A download link will appear soon.)
Posted Image
This post has been edited by End User: 31 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

#943 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up

View PostEnd User, on 31 October 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

My (admittedly minimal) searches have not led me to locate where the in-level cutscenes are stored in the game's files, so the issue will unfortunately persist. In the worst-case scenario, the problem you've shown causes the Rouge cutscenes to crash the game due to the included texture pack not having enough images to load. I've been working on and off on a fix for these and other issues associated with the mod and I should have something ready soon.

So...the problem will persist, but you're working on a fix for it? Or is it just a crash fix? I've seen the issues with Rouge firsthand, it's annoying. Eggman is also totally messed up.

#944 User is offline End User 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

• Project:Supers Over Hedgehogs (SA2)
The Dreamcast model conversions in SA2B have similar issues to what you're seeing with DC Eggman, though his is the most extreme case. The cockpit window in particular is a separate mesh entirely in SA2B, which is why it doesn't appear in your screenshot. DC Rouge still has the issue where her Iron Boots don't display the appropriate glow due to those layering problems, and it's a problem I've looked into. The only one I've managed to fix so far is DC Super Shadow's disappearing red streaks in his hair. If I'm unable to fix DC Egg Walker's glaring problems, the fix will simply replace him with Big until I can figure out how to have Eggman's body appear correctly.

#945 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

• Source Engine Junkie
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
I did a bunch of random stuff back in 2014 involving a cheat table and a lot of free time.

Link to a YouTube playlist of 14 episodes containing random stuff.

• 68 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users