Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype images - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 19 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 prototype images Both topics now merged together

#181 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

• Two Barack-A-Two BahTwo BahTah!
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels: Rebirth
  • Wiki edits:66
I think that no. The palmtree leaves looks like that they weren't redesigned in the final ROM. It seems that they were only reused recycling their same art from the proto. I may be wrong, but, whatever.
This post has been edited by Eduardo Knuckles: 02 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

#182 User is offline Hez 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I'm now super curious what other things have been sprited. Hell, the giant white evil thing in the back might have even had a sprite at one point in time.

View PostLOst, on 02 March 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

View PostLanzer, on 29 February 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

I just can't believe that Rika Chou, ICEknight and the rest of you lot guessed how Mr. Monster Guy looked soo fucking accurately based on those 1st blurry shots from before! Bravo on nailing that.

Well, I was also surprised about that. It is a skill that they both have worked on for years, and keep working on today. With training and time, they developed these kind of skill, which is proof that working hard pays off! More people should work towards understanding and improving the things they live for, just like they have :)

Dude...seriously? There's like 5 people before them that caught that shit and literally were not mentioned, in fact, both of those barely contributed to the fact it was that concept art. I really feel like glory's going to the wrong people here.

#183 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865

View PostSonicGenesis89, on 19 February 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Words cannot describe how giddy and excited these two new screen shots have made me. I'm so happy we got new photo's of the earliest build. This is the one good thing out of that whole Sonic prototype hoax fiasco. I'm so happy these were found and the person was nice enough to share them. Now I want to see gameplay footage or even more screen shots really badly. Sonic's running animation looks slightly different, and holy crap the monsters from the concept art were the original enemies! It's the purple ghost guy from the concept art but blue, without legs and wearing red gloves instead of yellow.

Posted Image

I wonder what other monsters were in this build and level? I wanna know how they behaved and attacked. When Sonic would hit them what would happen? Since they aren't machines? This a really good and incredible find because I have always wondered when they scrapped the monster and Madonna idea for the final which was robots and Eggman. Even in the Tokyo Game Show description of the game the plot line was "A super sonic powered rodent who fights monsters." This is so amazing, I'm all giddy like a kid on Christmas. I wish we could uncover even more screen shots or at least gameplay footage. Now we know though that monsters were in the earliest build before being scrapped.

This is the first post to correctly identify the sprite as one of the concept art badniks.

#184 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Guys, this is not a contest... =\

#185 User is offline Sik 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostICEknight, on 02 March 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Guys, this is not a contest... =\
Yes, it is. Whoever first implements this enemy in a hack properly wins :v:

#186 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Posted Image

Thing on the bottom left looks like a penis, thing on the top right looks like a hand. Coincidence? :V
This post has been edited by Irixion: 02 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

#187 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Posted Image

As the used badnik and the ground show, probably none of the colors shown here reflect what was used in the game. The ground isn't yellow in the Demo and the badnik isn't purple/yellow either. Probably none of the badniks would have used the colors shown on the page.

#188 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostMathUser, on 02 March 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

As the used badnik and the ground show, probably none of the colors shown here reflect what was used in the game. The ground isn't yellow in the Demo and the badnik isn't purple/yellow either. Probably none of the badniks would have used the colors shown on the page.

I think is was Cinossu who pointed out, if he was using the second palette line (of the beta purple flower GHZ palette) he would match the purple body/yellow gloves concept art perfectly.

Edit:

View PostCinossu, on 19 February 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

You guys do realise, using the Ending palette for the purple flowers, that Palette Line 0 uses blue and red (as in the screenshot), and Palette Line 1 uses purple and yellow (as in that concept art)?

EDIT: Palette for reference:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 02 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

#189 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostIrixion, on 02 March 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

http://www.sonicretr...2012/02/016.jpg

Thing on the bottom left looks like a penis, thing on the top right looks like a hand. Coincidence? :V

I lold.

And we thought Sonic and Tails’ team manoeuvre was obscene!

#190 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

• Project:Sonic Time Twisted Graphics/Level Design
  • Wiki edits:236
Here is my attempt at the monster.
Posted Image

#191 User is offline RGX 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

• Animator
  • Project:Sonic Nexus.
  • Wiki edits:3
Posted Image

This has been bugging me for a while... I feel I should mentioned this.

Originally, the blue blocks in the backgrounds of the concept art were indeed "buildings" but I think in the prototype they were changed into "Moutains"... I'm not entirely knowledgeable about this particular image that I posted, but there could be other things we didn't know about within the beta such as "water" and "waterfalls" making an appearance as well.

As you can see in this image here. The blue building like formations are still here, but instead they have become mountains that feature waterfalls. Not to mention this image looks more like "Beta" Greenhill then the "final".

If this image is faithful to the prototype, then I think water "exists" in beta Greenhill.

EDIT: Unless this is based on some "in-between" build.
This post has been edited by RGX: 03 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

#192 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

• Wiki edits:196
Oh, I hadn't seen that illustration before. It looks pretty close to the final version of GHZ to me, but I'm not very familiar with the version(s) that came between the prototype and the released game.

#193 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostRGX, on 03 March 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Not to mention this image looks more like "Beta" Greenhill then the "final".

I don't think it does.

Background mountains, smaller clouds, bushes in the background, water, palm tree which looks more like the final... I think this is somewhere in-between the two.
Posted Image

#194 User is offline RGX 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

• Animator
  • Project:Sonic Nexus.
  • Wiki edits:3

View Postdsrb, on 03 March 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

Oh, I hadn't seen that illustration before. It looks pretty close to the final version of GHZ to me, but I'm not very familiar with the version(s) that came between the prototype and the released game.

Ok found it on the wiki,

"Published in "SPEC," this concept art shares similar features to the early Green Hill Zone demonstration at the 1990 Tokyo Toy Show, including the trees in the foreground, the blocky area underneath the mountains, and even Sonic's pose. Unlike the preceding images, it is unknown if this image was drawn by Ohshima."

ATM I've been trying to find the direct mention of "Monsters" appearing in the Tech Demo within the description of the Sonic beta at the Tokyo Game Show in the wiki. Its been there for the longest in front of our faces saying that monsters were in the game. If we didn't know about the monsters, then there's bound to be more things we didn't know about in the beta.

EDIT:

@ Black Squirrel

The foreground looks closer to the beta, however yes, the background looks closer to the final. Which makes me think during development they were changed to a more rocky appearance but in the picture it seems a bit "blocky" to me.
This post has been edited by RGX: 03 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

#195 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

• Two Barack-A-Two BahTwo BahTah!
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels: Rebirth
  • Wiki edits:66
You guys forgot to talk about the Sonic's pose in the concept art. It looks basically like that beta pose, except for his front hand wich is different. Could they changed the Sonic's pose again during the game's development when it was reaching its final form?

Edit: Fixing grammar
This post has been edited by Eduardo Knuckles: 03 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

• 19 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google